overall

RATINGS: 1634   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. Its aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 17, 2003
Poured from bottle at slightly below room temp. Color was ahazy orange. Aroma was exceedingly complex; saturated with fruit tones citrusy mostly but also picked up hints of some darker fruits prunes/raisins: maybe some vanilla. Flavor was also immenseley complex. Sweet with caramel, some vanilla and some hints of maple syrup. very warming. I found it to be a steal @ $16.99 for a sixer( although I did drive 2.5 hours to get it).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2003
2-3yr old bottle. Hazy gold. Very little head,light lacing. Complex aroma of maple,peat,smoke,tropical fruit,vanilla. Smooth,silky body. Thick texture. Lots of malt,vanilla,maple,oak in the flavor. Finish is smokey,peat,lightly fruity.Much more soft than I remember it being,still just as complex. Bought a sixer 2-3 years ago and just had the last one,which from what I remember is the best! I must get more,even at 15$ a sixer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - DEC 11, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2007 Hazy golden orange with very litle head. Aroma is sweet, maple syrup, apples and vanilla. Flavor is quite complex, the maple is there but also sour apples, sweet malt and champagne yeast. Very crisp and effervescent. Overall not my favorite in this style but still a decent product from a great brewery.Update 8/05 Lots of oak coming through. I hadnt noticed this when I first took notes. The maple syrup is also prominent and the carbonation is softer on this batch. Im really digging this one.Update 6/07 Hazy cider colored, thin layer of head.Maple and cinnamon with vanilla in nose. Syrupy mouthfeel. Really sweet and sugary with a slight metallic flavor. Not what I remembered.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2003
Deep color and ample head. Notes of vanilla and maple syrup in the aroma. Complex but thoroughly satisfying flavor. An excellent experience for the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 3, 2003
Bottle pours a rather viscous hazy orange like color with very little head. The aroma is sweet and warming. The flavor is vanilla, sweet, and peppery alcohol in the end. The palate is quite rich. Overall, a very unique Barley Wine that I like!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2003
Light amber color with little head. Aroma is a mxiture of things that I can't quite put my finger unless I read the description. Intriguing none the less. Flavor is complex with some vanilla and maple. Very interesting, tasty brew. Alcohol hidden well as with most DFSHD brews.

YogiBeera (2570) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 25, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2004 Raisons malt, alcohol and chocolate aroma. Little head, leaving laces on the glass. Red amber color. Malt, alcohol taste, but soft. Also peppery and tones of raspberry are tasteable. Smooth, kind of short aftertaste. Also kind of edgy,but great taste and only short, then great balance. RERATE on tap at Dogfish Head:Nothing edgy. Round, smooh and wonderful. Delicous and after trying it on tap over and over and again and when bottled over and over gain, a decesion is made: My favorite Number 1 Barley Wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pivo (2685) - GERMANY - NOV 25, 2003
Strong alcohol in the nose - like whiskey. Rusty amber color and a low tight head that dissappates. Relatively quick malt front with hints of brown sugar and maple syrup. Metallic, peaty finish is almost smokey. Very peppery. Crisp palate with rough dirty edges. This burns the throat like a good whiskey. Excellent. Interesting, bold, but controlled and well-balanced. Another outstanding offering from a first-class brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrBeer (862) - Solna Stockholm, SWEDEN - NOV 12, 2003
2 years cellared bottle. Redbrown beer. Fruity and a bit smoked aroma with tones of syrup and higher alcohols. Smoked hoppy flavour with dry finish. Not even half-bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrnkMcDermott (3075) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 11, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2007 I first rated this from a year-old bottle at my local homebrew club meeting in November. Unfortunately, the beer had somehow gotten contaminated (bacteria?). I rated it very low, but with the caveat that it had clearly gone bad outside of the brewers control. Within minutes of posting the review, DFHs brewmaster messaged me, expressing his concern about the bad bottle. The fact that these guys are checking outside consumer feedback like this and want to learn the circumstances of a bad rating, even if its one out of 250 raves, speaks volumes about Dogfish Head. He notified me when the next batch had shipped so I could get a fresh bottle to re-rate. Here it is:

Bottled Dec 2003.This is definitely the kind of beer one would expect from DfH! The hop aroma of grapefruit and pineapple assaulted me as I opened the bottle. It poured a light brown, just slightly hazy, with a fizzy, short-lived head like any barley wine. The taste is, how to say it... just like a heavy Belgian except that its not a Belgian: "Thick," even "chewy" comes to mind. The maple is very apparent, with vanilla as kind of a backup. Only then did I notice the big toasted malt leaving its sticky mark on my lips. The fruity hop aroma doesnt translate in tasting, instead it just shows as a tingle on the tongue. The alcohol gives it a brandy character, and starts to make me lightheaded in the first few sips (Have to remember that this is not the strongest beer in DfHs arsenal, either). Exceptionally smooth. Then a slight taste of bubble gum toward the end.
And this is still a "raw" bottle. I got a second bottle, but may have to share it with the club so they can all get a better idea. Guess that means I should seek out more to cellar for myself.