overall

RATINGS: 1599   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. It’s aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

TChrome (1480) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Not going to be my favorite barley wine. Aroma is a bit subdued, and seems to lack hops. Appearance is a little thin looking for a barley wine. Flavor is too sweet for my taste and palate is also thinnish. Somebody find my an Old Knumbskull.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 29, 2003
A very interesting and yet surprisingly complex barleywine. A very pretty, hazy amber color in the pour with a nice head, and a luscious aroma. The taste is quite sweet, with a maple syrup feel in the mouth, kind of sweet and sticky, kind of candy like, with a bit of a smoked taste in the finish. Very tasty.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - OCT 26, 2003
A very nice Barley Wine. Deep red cloudy beer with a small white head. Nice malty nose with a hint of sweetness / candy. Flavor is rich and complex. A noticable alcohol presence but well masked by the cornucopia of flavors including hops, vanilla, and an oakey taste. Much better than Big Foot in my opinion. I was plesantly surprised.

baobubba (454) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - OCT 23, 2003
Gorgeous clear red amber color body with only a sheet of variable sized bubbles. Strong malt aroma of grapes, and light caramel. Sweet and smooth with caramel coming out on hte taste as well as a hint of bubblegum. Bitterness grabs the sides of the tongue. Solid brew

ancherrera (162) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2003
Way too sweet and alcoholic in flavor for my taste. Loved gthe look of the beer and the smell but could not get past the overpowering flavors. There is just too much going on with this beer. I really thought I would like it but was disappointed.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Gold orange color with small white head. Smells really nice, alcoholic, nice hops and some fruit. Taste is very sweet up front, with nice smokey flavors coming out at the end. Nice syrupy body.

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - OCT 17, 2003
In sweet passed out delirium deep inside my closet I find myself in the UP on a beatiful october afternoon. Wandering around giant maple trees with greenish brown bark and a hefty plate of pancakes doused in maple syrup, honey and some extrodinarily pugnet whipped cream. The bronze late afternoon sky with puffy rolling cumulus clouds with flat bottoms closely grouped together is a joy to behold as I begin ravenously eating the pancakes and chewing on some of the green mossy flakey bark of the maples. The bark fits in nicely with its odd herbal piney coating, where this tree bark sauce came from, I cease to understand. I get the faint smells of of a camp fire far off, a beatiful mingling of cedar, oak and pine. In overwhelming excitement I fall backwards into a heap of wet leaves, cushioned by soft oranges, yellows, greens and faint reds I open my mouth and miraculously an odd vanilla syrup drips into my mouth from tree limbs above hitting the back of my throat like shitty red wine drank through a pouron, only much better. Its a good beer

lemonlovr (190) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - OCT 9, 2003
Aroma is smokey, alcoholic, and a little bit fruity. The appearance is golden-orange. The flavor is syrupy sweet with a finish dominated by an alcohol bite. However, everything seems to work rather well together. Mouthfeel is good. A decent barleywine.

PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 8, 2003
The aroma is smokey, and alcoholic, the color is bright orange, with an oddly large head for a barleywine. The flavor is cloyingly sweet and smoked but not in a bad way it's really nice.

scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 2, 2003
i never had a barley wine before and after this, i never will again. this is way to sweet for my tastes. it's just like liquid sugar. the smell is nice. it reminds me of my mother's homemade rice pudding but i'll pass on the flavor.