overall

RATINGS: 1627   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. Its aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
radiomgb (2686) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 31, 2003
Deep amber in colour. Aroma was of oranges, maple, slightly sweet. Flavour was fruity, sweet, somewhat creamy with a bit of alcohol. Finishes with a medium sweetness and bitterness. There is so much going on here the alcohol is not noticable. Thanks hopscotch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
1more4dessert (336) - Upstate, New York, USA - AUG 31, 2003
very complex, dark amber with almost no head, the tastes were highly complex but blended nicely together - allspice, vanilla creme, not cloying in its sweetness. This is excellent - I will be buying some to put away for aging. Best BW I have had other than Old H. Also, very distinctive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2003
A red amber color with a medium off-white lasting(some) head. A sweet malt, fried fritter aroma. Smooth taste, sweet, slightly cloying. Alcohol not present in taste or aroma.

Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Copper color with malty aroma.No head. Sweet maple taste with a hint of malt. Alcohol well hidden as the other flavors take over.Finishes dry but nicely sweet. A solid barley from DFH.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 22, 2003
A beer with complexity and a sense of style, lacking the overt brashness of the usual DFH product. Quite impressive in its restraint, really. The aroma was shockingly almost absent, as I almost sucked it into my nostrils trying to catch a whiff. Odd. Appearance was a nice deep amber, head faded sort of quick and complete. The taste was tremendously well balanced, a fine barley wine, sweet, but finishing dry, a hint of maple on the tongue, no overt hopiness to speak of. Not what I was expecting, but a fine beer that speaks to the skill of the brewer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tkaufman (128) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Rich and malty through the nose and into the palate. A very thick and flavorful brew with complex balance between malt, caramel, hop bitterness, and treacle or maple or some sugary madness. A very good brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - AUG 18, 2003
The aroma is malty with hints of alcohol and maple. The flavor is a complex of spicy, malty, earthy and a few others I can't quite put my finger on. One of my favorite Dogfish Head beers.

Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Can't go wrong with dogfish beers. This one was typical of dogfish. It had a lot going on and it all worked.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DYCSoccer17 (3663) - Woodland, California, USA - AUG 10, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2009 Pours a dark copper like a traditional Pale ale. The head is very tiny and I had some diffculty getting some head :P The little I got dissipated rapidly. I can smell just a tiny hint of the maple in this drink. Hmmm...I need another taste to guage this one...the start is sweet with hints of the maple and maybe some vanilla, the middle is very hoppy and alcohol flavored, while the finish is sweet. This beer is quite carbonated, and doensnt really hide the 11% that well.----re-rate 10/10/09-----Aroma has some pitted fruits and definitely some juniper/ray present. Quite sweet in the nose. A little ethanol is present retronasally. Transparent amber body with a pretty frothy off-yellow head. Good lacing present. Sweet, caramelly start with some floral hints and definitely some smokiness in the middle. Not too much, but enough. THere is also some gin-like juniper characters. Finishes with a bit of a warming alcohol burn. All in all, this beer is reflective of my initial rating. I certainly dont detect as much maple as I initially did.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2003 *I've never had a Barleywine before this. I was completely shocked by this brew, and not ready to try it. I'd rather sit at home with a box of shitty wine, some Bacardi 151 and a bud, than drink this again. Not a fan of the style at all, and for $4 a bottle, to make me want to vomit I'll pass. Decent head, no lacing. Nice color. Putrid taste , that finishes like hard rum and bad wine mixed with no resemblance to any beer I've ever had. I definitely was not ready for this brew. I'll give it another shot when I get a few more beers under my belt.