overall

RATINGS: 1632   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. It’s aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - AUG 2, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2004 Great barleywine.Very light aroma out of the bottle.Once poured it is quite a light color compared to other BW but...It has a great amber/brown color with pretty little cyclone bubbles at the bottom rising.Great lasting brown tinted head.Nice creamy lace.Tastes very smooth(maple/vanilla/barley/hop bite/some smoke in there.The mouthfeel is stellar smooth.The last batch I had of this(10/03)seemed to be infected(sour and spritzy)Way too sweet as well.I like the olde school better these days.

hoppygrrrl (104) - Albion, Michigan, USA - JUL 27, 2003
This Dogfish Head is an incredible barley wine! It has such a refined aroma and flavor! Zingy and creamy; burnt notes of caramel, raisins, and spice; cakey but not yeasty. Absolutely delicious, and now one of my favorite desserts!

dberger624 (1028) - Voorhees, New Jersey, USA - JUL 25, 2003
Bottled at the Grey Lodge in Philly. It's been awhile since I had one of these and I forgot how good it was. Great barleywine beer. Full of flavor. I tasted a hint of some fruit. You know going in to this beer that the alcohol is going to be high from just smelling it.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 21, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2005 12 oz bottle, tulip glass. Brown-amber body appears to be substantial. Creamy, dense head leaves behind a fair amount of lacing. Maple, vanilla, and oak are present in the aroma as promised and indicate a sweet and alcoholic brew. Flavor contains much less alcohol that I expected. Very smooth, and smokey mouthfeel. Very sweet to start, flavors balance out in the end. This one’s worth trying just for the mouthfeel. 9/10/05: much meatier and chalky than the first time. Not nearly as pleasant.

3fourths (9347) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2012 Bright orange hue with a light tan head. Aroma of peaches and paint. Very sweet, cloying... harsh crisp bite of apricots and gin. Very dry, but with residual sweetness of overripe fruit. Want some orange soda and gin?

jercraigs (10374) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 10, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2006 July 2006 - Dark amber brown with a small tan head that could be more persistent. Woody alcoholic aroma is a bit rough but interesting, a bit of smoke emerges with a swirl of the glass and refuses to leave after that. Sweet caramel malt flavours, earthy woods notes, notes of smoke may only be paranoia. Fairly sweet throughout. Medium palate is a touch flat but still quite nice (3+). I am probably under rating this but I had hoped for more. 6/3/7/4/15 - 3.5 <P> Nov 2000 - Label says it has notes of vanilla, and maple... Maybe? Different from the Old Crustacean, not as harsh, but Im not sure I like it... A bit too much for me. Not a good start for my excursions into barleywines. 8/3/4/2/10 - 2.7

roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2003
Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a darker ruby-golden color with very little off-white head that disapates quickly. Aroma is sweet of strawberries, raspberries and ripe pears. Flavor is a noticiable alcohol that strains the ease to drink, but also covers a nice berry flavor. This beer warms the belly quickly. Overall, too strong in alcohol for my taste, when the taste is covered by it. Sampled at 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Immort Ale? Wrong. Form Ale Dehyde. I just, ugh, couldn't find anything about this one that I could point at and say, "Well, at least I like THAT". Sure it's complex, but I can't say appropriately so. Then again, maybe I'm just not a barleywiner.

ericnixon (746) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2005 So, i’m hanging out with Btownbrewer and his wife and we are having a bottle of this. i’m smelling it and tasting it and i’m trying so hard to think of what it tastes like. it’s so very complex that i was having trouble picking out individual flavors. then all of a sudden she proclaims "Lemon wet dog." after i heard that i couldn’t get that picture out of my mind and that’ll all i could think of when i tasted it. Lemon wet dog.

Shag (3001) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - JUL 5, 2003
My first barley wine. Ive been wanting to try this style for a while. Appearance is reddish brown. Aroma is mainly alcohol with some grapes and vanilla present. Flavor is rich with a strong alcohol presence. Tastes of grapes, vanilla, and I can sense that oak in there. Palate is nice with an alcohol warming effect on your tounge. I could imagine this going rather well with a good cigar or a rich dessert. I like it!