overall

RATINGS: 2504   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Indian Brown Ale A cross between a Scotch Ale, an I.P.A, and an American Pale, this beer is well hopped and malty at the same time. It is brewed with Aromatic Barley and caramelized brown sugar. - 50 IBU available year round, bottles & draft - Descriptors: Notes of molasses, coffee, ginger, raisinettes, chocolate

Braudog (6674) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - AUG 8, 2005
Ruby red/brown and nicely active behind the dark cloak of liquid and a nice big rocky head. Big wood-chocolate aroma. Beauty of a caramel-oak flavor, wood and smooth tart citric finish. Gorgeous.

rederic (3335) - montrťal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 29, 2005
dark brown ruby color, with tan-colored head, with chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, sweet mocha, roasted coffee beans aroma follows through on a medium-bodied palate with roasted malt, chocolatey note, coffee exprasso, brown sugar, molasses, dark malt, sweet caramel malt, in a soft roastiness and bitter finish.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUL 28, 2005
you know, I think I would like this even more than I did, but have come to look upon DFH so highly - theyíre the ones that raised the bar and this made me feel like the pro athlete was out smoking behind the building before he came out for showtime. I mean, sure Iím being harsh and griping when thereís really no big gripe. It was good. It was quite good with a fine aroma and all, but for now the 60 & 90 minute are calling me far more than this is.

VTHopHead (1511) - Seymour, Tennessee, USA - JUL 25, 2005
Sample at VTBrewfest - Poured a nice brown/amber in color with a tannish head that disappeared too quickly. Hefty, but balanced aroma of malt and hops with a mix of roasted malts and chocolate. Flavor was solidly malt with too few hops, but not malty sweet at all. Although billed as a quite strong beer, there was no apparent alcohol taste or harshness. Very good..

JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - JUL 21, 2005
(on bottle)This is for sure a heavy brown ale, seen from my side of the pond. The ambition of being a crossover between brown ale, IPA and american pale ale, is a bit thought, I think. Has a really nice depp brown colour, with a redish glow. A strong chocolate aroma, very big. Was still waiting for the hops, but also the flavour was rich of malts with weight on the woody and chocolate parts. Very good, lingering finish, but the hops took a day off.

donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - JUL 20, 2005
This has to be the best Brown Ale I have ever had. I know itís kind of a cross, but must browns are a little to lacking in body for my taste. To me itís exactly what I would expect from a Brown Ale. Just shy of being a Porter. Another excellent beer from an excellent brewery.

GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 20, 2005
Aroma:nuty,caramel and alcohol.... Appearance:Ruby brown with a light tan head... Flavor:A good mix of alcohol and hazel nut,caramel.The alcohol is the dominan think....

BeerRules (243) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 12, 2005
Fairly thin tan head on a ruby brown body. Smells of caremalized sugar, honey, and a bit of coffee. Taste is of highly roasted coffee, bakerís chocolate, and toasted bread. Not much carbonation here, goes down smooth and silky, which isnt a bad thing. Nice beer to sip on, but not really one Iíd buy again, I guess im just not fond of beers with low carbonation.

duke33 (69) - Eldersburg, Maryland, USA - JUL 11, 2005
Only had this once, but it was quite good. I thought the head was a little flat for my liking, but the chocolate and coffee tastes were extremely good for a brown ale. However, i must take exception to Dogfishí description that says it a cross of a scotch ale. I didnít see much of a resemblance to a scotch ale, as this wasnít as sweet as a scotch ale, but maybe itís just me.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 7, 2005
Calling this one simply a brown ale doesnít give it the credit it deserves. Pours brown with a tan head. Smells of coffee, chocolate, dark chocolate, raisins, prunes, and cherries waft through almost immediately. Taste is of honey with a slightly citrussy finish.