overall
RATINGS: 2132   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas’ tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 22, 2005
Bottle. Pours a pale, clear golden yellow body with a good amount of bubbles. No head. Sweet fruity, honey, slight hoppy aroma. Some funky wine scents. Very tasty, smooth, sweet beer. Full of honey. Slight alcohol burn. Medium mouthfeel. A truely traditional, natural tasting beer. Different than expected but very good.

xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 21, 2005
Bottle. comes out attractive gold orange with bubbles I can count on my fingers. Smeels delicious and weird, almost like a white wine. It’s even better in the mouth. Very full body, lots of flavors swirling around in there, no part of the beverae untouched with flavor... it tastes the way I’d imagine the old world, fields of wheat, grapes, barley, honey - their description is prety accurate - a hard day threshing the fields and this is the secret homebrew they’d serve up after all that toil, and the recipe long lost... oh! umm. Anywa, the beer... it’s, ah, good! perky, sweet, very little carbonation, it’s like drinking something right out of old times, or my imagination of old times anyway. There’s something interesting in the finish - it’s like a fruit peel or something, very delicious in the finish as well. A good change of pace drink, not really something to drink a lot of. It took me a while to drink it - it’s quite heavy and sticky; it’d be best to split a 12 oz with someone.

waveman352 (178) - Saratoga Springs, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2005
12 oz. bottle 12/19/05. Pours a very bubbly mid-yellow color with no head. Light citrus aroma and dry wood scent, maybe a little hint of white wine smell. Thin crisp and clean taste. High alcohol content not noticed. Either honey or a more natural sweetness. Very thin short lived mouth feel and doesn’t return. Only my second traditional ale but really starting to like the style.

wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Bottle. Orange-brown, with small white head. Malty nose, caramel, fruity and sweet. Flavor is very sweet, caramel, grapes at the end and in aftertaste. Vinuous, and complex. Very warming. I like it.

Abel (13) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Quite sweet, and like they say, somewhere between mead, wine and beer. Pours with pretty much no head, reddish amber color. Smell has a little alcohol, honey sweetness and a little bit of white wine. barley is apparent at first, but soon the grape flavor becomes more prominent. Aftertaste is dry. After a long time, it tastes like you had a glass of grape juice. great beer, haven’t had anything really like it.

swatskee (17) - Ohio, Ohio, USA - DEC 18, 2005
crisp gold, very litle head, almost no lacing. sweet malt smell with a winelike mouthfeel. Similar to mead, the sweet tast and spice round the alcohol warmth to a minimum to allow the tru flavor come through. raisin and grape on the palate added a nice dryness to the finish

Brigadier (3695) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Bottle from Riley’s Wines of the World in Madison, WI. Pours orange. Has a very sweet smell. I was able to discern grapes, dates and raisins among other things. The taste itself is very subtle and wonderful. At $3.99 a bottle, something I am not likely to try again but I am glad to have tried it once.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Bottle. Pours clear honey orange with white head. The complex aroma contains honey, vinous fruit, some grain, raisin, and a bit of alcohol. The flavor reminds me of a dry mead at its root, but there are quite a few nuances to it. There is just enough barley to remind me that it’s beer, and there is a subtle spiciness throughout (if I concentrate, I think I can detect the saffron). This is good stuff. A bit on the expensive side, though.

sandwichpants (117) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Quite tasty and more "beer" like than I thought it would be. It did have a bit of white wine character too it, and a decent amount of sweetness and perhaps even some subtle spiciness. Different, but quite easily enjoyable, I think even my mother would like it.

shrubber85 (11448) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - DEC 15, 2005
Bottle. Sweet dried apricot and malt aroma. Amber color with small head. Sweet-tart malt flavor with moderate hops finish. Full bodied. Nicely blended.