overall
RATINGS: 2172   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
PullMeABeer (203) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - NOV 10, 2005
Bottle. If "Durango Ice" can create this timeless aroma anyone can. And I heard Durango Ice was made from a mixture of last summers grass clippings and rotting pears. Well now that Im done with that rant, Ill get on with rating this preliminary disappointing beer. Big surprise. Pours the color of sparkling apple juice without one speck of head. Not one. Unfortunately I had the privilege of sharing in the drinking two 12 packs of "Durango Ice" last weekend with some buddies in our bi-monthly swill-O-rama, the putrid aroma of said beer sticks with me to this day, where I am nose to nose with it once again in this beer that I rate today. Oh how to describe it, first it is the lingering sweetness that tends to laugh at me, the spoil fruitiness and the alcohol mixed with a malt base even the best selling breweries (you know who Im talking about) would throw out. You say Im biased when rating this beer, due to my experience last weekend, I will hear nothing of the such. After a little calming down, there seems to be elegant notes of double bubble in the aroma of this beer. Wooow! I havent even put this elixir to my lips yet and there is so much to say. After a little more time and some more claming down, the first tastes of the beer offers over carbonation and a lingering acidic sweetness that seems out of place, but does slightly out way its counter part the "Durango Ice". This consumer will admit to enjoy the delicate sweetness and white grape essence that lingers in the finish. The body flows medium/thin with some residual sticky sweetness left on the lips and mouth. The places this beer have taken me, its amazing, to swill and beyond. P.S. If you dont belive me that this smells (yes smells) and tastes very similar to "Durango Ice" try a side by side comparison.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3487) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 9, 2005
Pours a clear golden color with a ring of white lace. Interesting aroma of spices, honey, raisin. The flavor is good and has the same elements, spices, honey and raisin. The body is light with a liquorous texture and soft carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - NOV 1, 2005
12 oz bottle. Very grapey. Is that a word? It should be. Let me specify ... very white grapey. Poured orange with absolutely no head whatsoever. Even when shaken. Vinous and syrupy aroma, very thick. Very thick and sweet mouthfeel, almost to the point of being cloying, but not quite, theres a good balancing dryness that helps that out. As it approaches room temperature, the honey and alcohol become rather evident. I know Dogfish always blurs the edges, and this is no different, its somewhere between a weizenbock and a mead. Rather good, and I wouldnt send it back.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 29, 2005
12 oz bottle 10/04. Poured a medium slightly-hazy orange/amber with just a little off-white head around the rim of the glass. Aroma was almost sickly sweet with grapes up front, followed by honey, light alcohol, and some odd spices that Ive found in food, but cant place (most likely saffron). Wine-like grape feel in the flavor and on the palate. Honey and spices were in there as well. This was really freakin sweet, and may have ultimately resulted in my current headache. Rather syrupy throughout, and sticky on the finish. Overwhelming sweetness masked the sweetness quite well. Interesting?.. yes. For me?.. not so much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bp (896) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 29, 2005
On tap at Hop Devil Grill (NYC): I didnt really note much of an aroma from this beer, hides the alcohol well, tastes a little syrupy, some spice flavor as well. A decent brew but not one Id drink often.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 28, 2005
I found this to be a pretty ho-hum beer. Color was a fine dark caramel with a thin white head. I didnt get much aroma off the beer, and I found the taste to be more like a pilsner/lager than an ale. Very drinkable, just not very interesting. The least impressive of the DFH beers Ive tasted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - OCT 28, 2005
UPDATED: APR 4, 2012 Looks like whiskey in the glass, almost no head. Aroma is of mead and raisons. Flavor is sweet, honey, grapes and spice. Full sticky body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jzzbassman (1587) - Arlington, Texas, USA - OCT 24, 2005
Poured copper with a thin white head wth big bubbles. Smelled like sweet grape, like a subtle white wine. Alcohol is the first thing to hit the taste, then spice and sweet honey.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 23, 2005
Bottle, Pittsburgh Deli Company

Drank from bottle. Sweet honey taste from first sip. No hops whatsoever, at least not that I picked up. Really tasted the grapes toward the middle. The end had a somewhat spicy taste. Aftertaste was nice and sweet, reminded me of honey and milk. Very easy drinking beer, unlike any other beer Ive had

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 22, 2005
This beer really helps me differentiate between the bitterness of yeast and that of hops. Golden ginger colored candy. No head. Not still but no retention. Massively sweet aroma. Slight cucumber and lavender (saffron?) around the edges. Chemical grapes. Sweeeeeet!!!! Primary sweetness carries over to the mouth. Promounced dryness on the edges, sweet as rock candy in the middle. Like mead without the mead I think. Juggernaut honey aftertaste. All the dryness is engulfed in the sweet afterpalate that drags on and on. Tiny biscuit at the end. Mouthfeel exceptional