overall

RATINGS: 1359   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - NOV 29, 2004
Do you like complexity then this is a brew for you. Not a Barley Wine fan but this one could make you one. For 15.5% it did not scream alcohol at you but you knew it was there.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - NOV 28, 2004
Seet hoppy aroma with butterscotch and alcohol notes. Appears caramel with light, white head and a cloudy, floaty opaqueness. Flavor of caro syrup with butterscotch and the sauce one drizzles over flan. A lime/tequila encounter (margaritta?). Very nice. Very delicious. Warms all the way down.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 27, 2004
NEW To Florida! ĖAnd I Love IT!

Rating #625
Vintage: 2004

I bought a bottle of this beer last summer when I was up in NYC, but still havenít opened that one! We just got the new 2004 batch here in townÖ. and Holy Mother, Itís Phenomenal! Iíve been thinking about this beer since Wednesday when I shared a bottle with the dude that runs my local Home Brew Supply shop. What an amazing brew this turned out to be!
The body poured a glowing coppery bronze, and there was an amazingly resilient ivory head and lacing throughout the entire session. I was rather Surprised to find that the high ABV did not burn off the head. Though the aroma and flavor are what I found to be most sensational! This beer held a depth of vast complexities! Fruity submissions of peach, plum, and cantaloupe are most abundant in the forefront; and on a darker more robust side, one cannot miss the light smoky sweetness of dates and molasses. Then to add to the sweet and fruity malty depthÖ there is a marvelous addition and blending of citric hops in the finish! As the wonderful beer rolls over my palate and down my throat, I grab the flavors of grapefruit, nectarine, and a hint of pine! But MOST Amazingly, there is such a little mention of the 15+% abv???? This beer is simply fantastic!
I have truly found a new favorite beer for my cellar, and I canít wait to do a side-by-side with my 2003 & 2004 bottles! GEEZ, and I only paid something like $12.50 for a 4 pack of this blissful elixir! OLD SCHOOL is now a full on Winner in my ratings!

tiggmtl (4545) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 23, 2004
Sniff... sniff... excuse me while I make love with this beer! It just smells that good! Hazy, orange-straw coloured with a lasting cover of white head. Sweet, full, orange-pine hop flavours balance beautifully with the huge sweet malts. Low carbonation but very full bodied. This beer is wonderfully proportioned in all respects. Bottle enjoyed with DYCSoccer17, MartinT, muzzlehatch, Omhper and Rastacouere.

omhper (24979) - TyresŲ, SWEDEN - NOV 23, 2004
Bottled. Deep golden colour, no head. Sweet and vastly malty. Sugary, but that does not disturb. Enough hops to overpower the sweetness. Bitter finish. Very enjoyable. There is no way I could guess tthis beer was 15%.

muzzlehatch (4952) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 22, 2004
omhper in Montreal #22 (with MartinT,tiggmtl,Rastacouere,DYCSoccer). 2x12 oz bottles. Pale orange..subtle, lovely fruitiness submerged in a sharp, hoppy aroma...sweet, smooth and oily on the tongue, caramel/maple character does not quite overwhelm the hoppiness. Alcohol more subtle than in many of DFHís monsters.

Silphium (3199) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - NOV 21, 2004
Another huge Dogfish Head beer to sample, and this one is much like their other strong beers with its abundant, almost cloying sweetness. Murky orange body with floaties; thin off-white head. The sweetness is revealed first in the caramely, fruity aroma which also contained plenty of alcohol, almost overwhelming the grapefruity hops. The flavor was intensely sugary-sweet with plenty of melon (cantaloupe), brown sugar and alcohol, and relatively understated bitter grapefruity hops. Definitely has that Dogfish Head house character. I liked this beer, but Iím not always in the mood for such sweet nectars.

Rastacouere (6177) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 20, 2004
Clear amber, not much head. Extremely enjoyable aroma, I didnít see that one coming. A fine cigar, a campfire and a deep immort ale like maltiness with all this caramel and maple syrup richness and even some kind of meaty goodness going on. Feels 10% or so, great job there! In mouth: melon bubblegum, soothing oily hops, piney, vegetal which develops sip after sip into a larger and larger tongue-coating bitterness. Nevertheless, those huge malts never miss a meeting, it remains very sweet (caramel.. smoked maple), just very bitter at the same time and in good proportions. Oily fuelic body, fair amount of carbonation. Adopt an hypercaloric beer today.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - NOV 17, 2004
Bottle, split 2 ways. Dogfish just keeps providing winners. Every sip of this was delicious. An excellent barleywine? Yes. The best Iíve had? No. But worth a try (or ten).

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Pours a golden brown....not much of a head. The colour has me thinking pale malts were used almost exclusively. Light fruit note, with a little bit of toastiness. Sweet palate with alcohol burn coming through. Hops are barely, and I mean barely detectable. Way at the other end of the barley wine taste spectrum from, say, Bigfoot. Thanks John for an interesting bwine...definitely not what I expected, but Iím glad to have tried it!!