overall

RATINGS: 1351   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2007 Not enough layered malt or intense hop to reach barleywine complexity. Just enough of each to make it passable. I would trade half the abv for more flavor. Re-Rate Feb ’07 - I was able to detect the hop and more of a complex malt- intense cinnamon. Worth a rating boost.

dpento1 (236) - Virginia, USA - JUN 20, 2011
Pours a rich orange, with a small of-white head. Aroma of citrus, caramel, alcohol, and a little sweet. Sweet and smooth! Flavor is a little sweet, with raisons and flowers. Almost sugary sweet, and a little warming in the finish. VERY NICE.

gmb5127 (234) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 2, 2013
Has a nice fig and malty taste and aroma. It is relatively sweet and tasty for such high alcohol.

BenDover (233) - Texas, USA - NOV 21, 2013
Pours a slightly cloudy orange-red, with two fingers of very dense yellow-white foam that leaves behind quite a bit of lacing. Aroma is faint, yeasty and earthy. Taste is very complex - raisins, caramel and malty sweetness, a touch of citrus fruit, and a hoppy bite to it. The alcohol warms without overpowering. Would not have guessed it was 15% abv. Very good stuff.

dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - MAR 22, 2006
Aroma of --big surprise--dates and figs, along with raisins, caramel, and sweet malt. Appears a brassy gold color, with a small yellowish head and with some effervescence of medium-sized bubbles. Flavor is fig and date over sugary malt, and finishing with slight hops and HUGE alcohol burn. Palate is sticky and medium-full. An interesting beer, but the alcohol really comes through too much for my taste, though I see that I may be in the minority on that one. I do like the figs and dates, I just think would like it more with a bit less octane.

donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - MAY 27, 2006
One hell of a smooth barleywine. I had it on tap at the DH Alehouse. A lot of barleywines are either too sweet or too alcoholic in flavor. This one is neither. Don’t get me wrong both are there, but its just smoother. It could definately be a person who don’t like barleywines, barleywine.

coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 23, 2009
Bottled in 2007 Pours a beautiful golden honey tinged copper color. Slow pour produces a big head of light brown/dark tan super creamy foam. Retention is great. Lacing is beautiful, super sticky and continues all the way down the glass. Fruits relaxing in a rum bath. Big notes of candi sugar. Hints of caramel and oak. Leather notes. Cherries, apples and a slice of pineapple. Figs. Hints of toasted grains mingling with sweet malts. Mmmmm. Raisins, pears, apples and apricots, covered in sticky honey and candi sugars. Light hints of caramel with a very light touch of vanilla. Nice malty presence. I like this one, now, but I’m sure it will continue to become better with even more age. With the head that this produced, I thought that the carbonation level would have helped the body on this one. Sadly, I was wrong. This is actually a rather thin brew, and I think it would benefit from a thicker mouthfeel. But, maybe that’s just me. I think that this is a highly enjoyable and drinkable brew. While there is a level of warmth here, the 15%ABV is very well-hidden. I also think that it will continue on to become even more drinkable, the longer it is allowed to age. Man, I sure do love Dogfish Head.

lukin013 (230) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - NOV 20, 2006
Fresh ’06 bottle... perhaps I should have followed the directions and buried it for a year. At first taste I thought it may be a drain pour, but after letting it warm up for a VERY long time it was drinkable. Aroma is fairly nice with apricots, raisins and molasses... smells a little like apricot syrup I like on my pancakes... except slightly acidic and very alcoholic. Taste is almost undiscernable over the incredibly strong alcoholic kick... I think there’s some apricot, molasses, vanilla, and oak flavors in there but I’m almost choking from the alcohol burn... hopefully my other bottle mellows out in a year or two.

DMRz (230) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 10, 2007
Bright red-orange color with nearly nonexistant head. Aroma is sweet and pleasant with green apple, creme caramel, and a touch of alcohol. The flavor is much as expected from the aroma: sweet brown sugar malt, a touch of hops, and intense green apple towards the end. The hops/bitterness on the finish is a bit out of balence leaving me with an interesting bitter hoppy apple aftertaste. DFH has managed to conceal the 15% alcohol better than I expected, but it is still present. Not a bad effort but I wonder if they went a bit too far with the alcohol and fruit...

epf33 (228) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2008
unlike the picture, mine had a neon green cap with a warning sign on top. very strong!! according to the bottle you have to leave it in a plastic bag in a pit somewhere for a year, i only left it in there for 3 months... close enough! spicy finish