overall

RATINGS: 1341   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

wnewberr (100) - Huntersville, North Carolina, USA - JUL 24, 2012
One of my fav’s in the style! Strong malt and alcohol aroma, the taste matches. Clarity could be improved upon is the only complaint.

TopherDrinks (96) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - NOV 22, 2007
Pours brownish-orange with a small but tight head. Head dissipates within a minute leaving an off white tint on the top of the liquid. Strong smell of hops with undertones of alcohol, malts, and orange. Taste is of hoppy harsh alcohol! Second taste is hoppy citrus mixed with sweet malts, sugar, and apricot. Alcohol comes through strong but does a great job warming the body (just as I see fit for Barley Wines). New aromas of apricot and dates begin to come through as my glass diminishes. Smooth mouth feel once you get past the abv. Could have been better if they didn’t make it such a big beer. But then it just wouldn’t be a true DFH after all!

45thstbrewer (94) - Conowingo, Maryland, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine is definitely a unique brew. Its good but has a strong aroma and taste of alcohol. But for me I like the 15%. Haven’t had a barleywine that strong before.

rollingwood (91) - Maryland, USA - DEC 23, 2013
Damned near perfect beer IMHO. Complex quicksilver mouth feel, boozy and warming, with a balanced hop/malt profile. I wish I had the patience to age this, but we never can keep our hands off of it.

Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 27, 2005
Pours a light copper to golden, rather light for a barley wine. Creates thousands of bubbles that cling to the sides of my snifter as I give it a swirl. Looks quite thick. Smells of sweet, sweet apricots. Flavor is also sweet and the alcohol is very present here. There are some citrus notes and apricot is found again. This is thick and sticky, leaves a coat on the palate as it goes down, pleasantly warming. Wow, this beer is freaking huge, I can drink one and its enjoyable... but thats about as far as I’d go.

ZR2Blazer (87) - Christiansburg, Virginia, USA - NOV 21, 2010
Pour - 1 finger head, dissipates quickly Aroma - Very strong nose, reminds me of strong wood glue or epoxy resin up front. Deep down I pick up berries and the fig. Taste - This one I can barely handle. This is ridiculously strong. Thick mouthfeel, thick and sugary, almost no hop finish. Finish doesn’t linger like i would expect. Would like to see what happened with age. I usually agree with the majority of the ratings, but not on this one. I almost feel like I got a bad bottle, this is barely enjoyable, not balanced at all - this is extreme.

ericwill99 (86) - Texas, USA - JAN 13, 2015
Poured in a very small snifter at Flying Saucer. Beautiful color and aroma. Alcohol hits immediately and then I taste theater barley wine. Quite good, but almost certainly better a year from now.

dnlsartin (80) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 19, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2009 Brilliant, cloudy, orange appearance. Medium body. Aroma of apricots, molasses, and window cleaner. Tastes of citrus, apple, raisin, oak, and whiskey. Finish is a bit sharp, “green” maybe. Would’ve probably been smoother with some age.

Slimbrundage (80) - USA - NOV 10, 2010
Golden orange. Super fruity nose, apricot, peach, cherry, maple syrup and sweet caramel malt. Full bodied. There’s some real heat here and it kind of dominates the flavor to the point where I can’t pick up much (or rather define what I pick up). The finnish is bitter and warm. This is deffinately a beer for aging, there is a lot going on but it’s just not focused at this point. I’m sure with a year on it it will be amazing.

Merrill (79) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 7, 2009
Bottle. From Kenwood, usually. Caramel and witchhazel, old pine bark and snakepit. Flavor is pine tar, Emmie’s arse, and liniment. Man, oh man! Sammy really got me this time! I gotta take his advice...