overall

RATINGS: 1359   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 25, 2011
12oz bottle. This is a general overview of both fresh and aged olde school. I have recently tried both the 07 and 11 OS. The fresh OS has a great hoppy caramel nose, a little boozy. The caramel malts in the 07 are rich and lush in the aromas. This is hands down the most approachable fresh BW on the market. Many BWs are too hot with alc, too bitter with hops and the malts are completely off balanced. This one, although a bit hot at 15 %, is smoother and less bitter than many BWs fresh. When aged the 5 years it has completely mellowed out to a smooth toffee like finish. The ABV is well hidden. I place OS along with Stones Old Guardian as the two best and most accessable Barelywines in the country.

BigSound (196) - New York, USA - MAR 17, 2012
From notes. 2007 vintage. A nice ruby red with a slight tinge of gold. The pour rendered about a quarter inch of white head. Beautiful lacing! A big nose of caramelized sugars, sweet malt, fruit, raisons, booze, honey. This beer smells awesome! The taste is great, sweet and malty with a bit of hop bitterness in the finish. I get honey, grape, strawberry, raspberry, a bit of chocolate, and some booze. The feel is silky and warm, oh so good... The carbonation on this 07 brew is sitting really nice, it is medium, but the way it blends with the silky smooth feel makes this elixir exciting and subtle at the same time.

Lognar (33) - - SEP 30, 2013
(1/5/13) A - a beautiful coppery orange. S - Sweet. Tons of sweetness. Right away its got me thinking of a sweet white wine instead of a beer. Dark fruit, citrus, and orange peel dominate the nose with the orange peel adding some acidity. T - Sweet and fruity. The nose was a great preview of the taste. Tons of sweetness and citrus. Hints of orange peel bitterness carry the finish. I am loving the taste of this brew. M - Chewy, almost syrupy, and nice and warming. O - What a wonderful brew. This being only my second barleywine ever, I still do not know the style that well, but this was just amazing. Great sweetness. A nice smooth alcohol warmness. The, wait let me check, 15% alcohol - really? damn, this brew could get me in trouble - the 15% is hidden really well and doesnt dominate the brew with booziness. I loved this brew fresh. I can only imagine what some time in the cellar would do for it.

Gluepot (632) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 24, 2014
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2016 The Nose is complex, as you would hope at the alcohol level -- apricots, prunes, brown sugar, a shave of chocolate, a medicinal effect and dark fruit are featured. The body is rich and dense, with taste highlights including, caramel, butterscotch, massive amounts of dark fruit, prunes, dates and apricots, sweet bready malt, scotch whiskey and a Dogfish-head-traditional hint of vanilla. Some fruity hop underpinning. A lovely soft carbonation allows the taste to come forward. Well rounded and integrated. As the beer approaches room temperature, the Caramel and the hop bite step forward. Love big beers that morph with temperature! In the conversation for the best large beer I have ever sampled.

krumbum (1109) - truckee, California, USA - MAY 19, 2014
The drinking directions on this bottle was the inspiration for us burying a box of 6 beers for a year which we dug up and drank and then buried 12 more for next year. This was a caramel brown frothy but quick fading head. Huge smell of dried fruit, figs, dates leather and tobacco. Tastes like black liquorice with sweet finish. Second bottle was a clear reddish amber with a much stronger taste.

johnmal85 (3) - , Florida, USA - FEB 1, 2009 does not count
Aroma is balanced, yet promiscuous as it dances across the unique scents of the malt, and various fruit used in the brewing/conditioning process. Pours a hazy orange-reddish brown, with a thin head which quickly fades into a film. The flavor begins with a sweetness, which is quickly shoved away with a malty must, and then finished by a sourness. The mouth feel is nice. This beer is not too thick, nor thin. It has just the right amount of bubbling, which happens to be light. I am not a fan of over/under-carbonated beers... but for this style, the carbonation is perfect. After partaking into about 6 ounces of this clever brew... I find myself pleasantly buzzed, cant wait to finish it.

Simplycdog (18) - - JUL 5, 2013
My favorite barleywine. Gets you ripped and ages really well. I have 4 or 5 cellared and I think about drinking them all the time. Sweet, hoppy, and super delish. Find it and enjoy it! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

rollingwood (91) - Maryland, USA - DEC 23, 2013
Damned near perfect beer IMHO. Complex quicksilver mouth feel, boozy and warming, with a balanced hop/malt profile. I wish I had the patience to age this, but we never can keep our hands off of it.

NotoriousJ (39) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - APR 16, 2014
2012 bottle. Excellent since the last time I had it it's conditioned very well. The Maris otter malt shines with the compliments of figs and dates. Very little carbonation nice malty sweetness not too sweet. Nice mellow finish. Would never be able to tell it's 15% except for the heat rising up my face. Excellent can't wait to have another one of these next year. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

akoeninger (748) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 10, 2014
On tap at the Tipsy Cow in Madison. Hazy orange with thin head. Aroma of oak, booze, dark fruit. Amazing taste, I mean wow. Caramel, fig, molasses, bourbon, oak, some floral hops, candied sugar. Sweet, bourbon, oak finish. Slightly warming. This was impressive ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone