overall
RATINGS: 1989   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Punkin' Ale is a full-bodied, spiced brown ale brewed with baked pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is named after the annual Punkin' Chunkin Festival held near Lewes, Delaware the weekend after Halloween.

kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Pours an off-white fluffy head; nice retention; glowing reddish-orange core. Very enticing nose: plenty of spice, most strongly cinnamon and allspice; alcohol presence pokes through as well. One-dimensional malt presence, light-to-medium mouthfeel, some hints of fresh pumpkin but lacking much of the spice suggested by the nose. Decent seasonal, but a bit too singular in its taste profile to be satisfying. Hints of cinnamon at the finish.

jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Take the Brown Ale and add some pumpkin and spices. Not much there...like the Apricot IPA they offer..not much apricot.

Kevin (2200) - Montana, USA - SEP 13, 2006
bottle. picked this up while checking for the bottles of stone 10th for james. pours a brown copper with a lasting thin head. smells of light pumpkin, and spices. taste is eggy like a few dubbels i’ve had, crisp cinnamon toast, cinnamon and brown sugar work well here. pumpkin is real hard to pick up until this thing warms a bit and then it still is not a player. spicey attacks on the sides of my tongue are enjoyable, a bit metallic in the finish, but not enough to be an ender. i guess it is the allspice that is the one that i can’t put my finger on, but i like it. hard to believe it is 7% an enjoyable brown ale.

Nejhleader (1562) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 13, 2006
I was a little let down by this. body was thin almost watery. Had to much of a cinnamon and brown sugar taste to it, and not enough pumpkin, Blue moon pumpkin ale is better.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - SEP 13, 2006
The pour is golden orange with a huge white head. Aroma is that of pumpkin pie with nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices. Flavor is slighlty pumpkiny but not as strong as one might think. The finsh is ok but rather weak.

puzzl (3258) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 12, 2006
My cold is really bad, so much so that I can hardly even inhale, so I’m detecting the aroma of this beer by holding it under my nose and seeing what happens. It works surprisingly well. Definite pumpkin, allspice, black pepper, a touch of sweetness. Taste is mellow hops and a nice round pumpkin edge, mellow and dark. I really like this, and I love pumpkin beers. I wish there were more.

Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Nutmeg,cinnamon,pumpkin mix very well in this brew. No head to speak of. The flavor was better than i though it would be.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Bottle. Aroma and appearance are by far the most notable attributes of this brew. I thought the flavor to be stronger flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg than pumpkin. I will save a few bottles until Thanksgiving to compliment pumpkin pie - I’ll let you know how it goes. Overall - not bad, but I was expecting more from Dogfish.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - SEP 11, 2006
12oz, Bottled on 08/23/06. Pours a clear copper orange with a fading one finger light yellow beige head. Doesn’t necessarily look like the brown ale it claims, but oh well. Big aromas are the allspice, brown sugar, and pumpkin. Not overly spiced, and nothing is overpowering. Flavor is more pumpkin with some spices--allspice and a little nutmeg--and I am able to pick up on some alcohol as well. Also got some light orange peel. This never gets too sweet or bitter, though seems to be a bit of the malty side, as one would guess. Body is medium to full, moderately carbonated. Out of all the pumpkin beers I’ve had (OFallon, Buffalo Bills, NH Ichabod, Old Capitol Pumpkin Splitter, Shipyard Pumpkinhead), this is easily the best one. I may be rating it a little higher also because I’ve been wanting some pumpkin beers for some reason the last couple weeks. By the way, the chilly weather makes this beer that much better.

jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 11, 2006
Bottle. Big disappointment from dogfish head. Not a very pumpkin flavor or smell. Almost a spoiled taste. Odd mouthfeel.