overall
RATINGS: 2002   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Punkin' Ale is a full-bodied, spiced brown ale brewed with baked pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is named after the annual Punkin' Chunkin Festival held near Lewes, Delaware the weekend after Halloween.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - SEP 13, 2006
The pour is golden orange with a huge white head. Aroma is that of pumpkin pie with nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices. Flavor is slighlty pumpkiny but not as strong as one might think. The finsh is ok but rather weak.

puzzl (3260) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 12, 2006
My cold is really bad, so much so that I can hardly even inhale, so I’m detecting the aroma of this beer by holding it under my nose and seeing what happens. It works surprisingly well. Definite pumpkin, allspice, black pepper, a touch of sweetness. Taste is mellow hops and a nice round pumpkin edge, mellow and dark. I really like this, and I love pumpkin beers. I wish there were more.

Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Nutmeg,cinnamon,pumpkin mix very well in this brew. No head to speak of. The flavor was better than i though it would be.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Bottle. Aroma and appearance are by far the most notable attributes of this brew. I thought the flavor to be stronger flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg than pumpkin. I will save a few bottles until Thanksgiving to compliment pumpkin pie - I’ll let you know how it goes. Overall - not bad, but I was expecting more from Dogfish.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - SEP 11, 2006
12oz, Bottled on 08/23/06. Pours a clear copper orange with a fading one finger light yellow beige head. Doesn’t necessarily look like the brown ale it claims, but oh well. Big aromas are the allspice, brown sugar, and pumpkin. Not overly spiced, and nothing is overpowering. Flavor is more pumpkin with some spices--allspice and a little nutmeg--and I am able to pick up on some alcohol as well. Also got some light orange peel. This never gets too sweet or bitter, though seems to be a bit of the malty side, as one would guess. Body is medium to full, moderately carbonated. Out of all the pumpkin beers I’ve had (OFallon, Buffalo Bills, NH Ichabod, Old Capitol Pumpkin Splitter, Shipyard Pumpkinhead), this is easily the best one. I may be rating it a little higher also because I’ve been wanting some pumpkin beers for some reason the last couple weeks. By the way, the chilly weather makes this beer that much better.

jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 11, 2006
Bottle. Big disappointment from dogfish head. Not a very pumpkin flavor or smell. Almost a spoiled taste. Odd mouthfeel.

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - SEP 10, 2006
Pours an appropriate clear-orange color, with a nice head, and a decent lacing that formed after a few minutes. Aroma and flavor are pretty much as the label describes. I’d say the spices hold center stage in the aroma department, while the brown ale base makes itself known upon tasting. Sometimes the pumpkin tastes are more upfront, other times the nutmeg is. The malts come together natural with the flavorings, while the finish is pretty mellow. I can taste cinnamon in my nose after I swallow. Anyway, I wish this beer were slightly thicker (but not TOO thick) and a bit less carbonated, then it would be really good. As it stands, it’s merely pleasing. Shows potential though.

RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - SEP 10, 2006
bottle. Aroma: Nutmeg and pumpkin stand out, with a bit of breadiness in the background. There’s also a light sourness which is reminiscient of apple cider. Appearance: Dark orange bordering on red i color and clear. Off-white head was full and creamy. Dissipated into a nice cap. Good lacing. Flavor: A lot of fall flavors going on here. Pumpkin (obviously), but also a bit of the pumpkin’s sweeter cousin the butternut squash. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, caramel, and again a bit of apple cider. Palate: Medium bodied and creamy. Moderate carbonation. Overall: A good beer to watch football, rake the leaves, or have at Thanksgiving. A nice range of flavor, but not overwhelming.

kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2006
12 oz bottle, bottled 8/18/06. Poured orange/amber color with a tall off-white head that dissipated rapidly. aroma of nutmeg, brown sugar, and a bit of pumpkin. Medium body. Flavor dominated by pumpkin pie spices and alcohol. My favorite pumpkin ale, I look foreward to its arrival each year.

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - SEP 10, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2008 4 oz sample @ Stone 10th Anniversary Party: No aroma, very little flavor. I tasted a very faint pumpkin taste, but that’s about it. Surprised this beer is 7%, as the flavor was very light. No bueno. 2nd Attempt (09/04/08). My score remains the same. This beer is still as nasty as ever, but this time I was overwhelmed by the cinnamon. Holy crap, it’s like a spice bomb. Blech.