overall
RATINGS: 1989   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Punkin' Ale is a full-bodied, spiced brown ale brewed with baked pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is named after the annual Punkin' Chunkin Festival held near Lewes, Delaware the weekend after Halloween.

lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUL 26, 2006
Pours an orangey copper with a quarter-inch tan head. Smells spicy. Clove and nutmeg and light cinnamon in the nose. Sweet spice. Tart and fruity underneath, spiced baked apple aromas. Lots of spicey flavors as mentioned in the smell. Nutmeg, clove, allspice, cinnamon. Some pumpkin flavors in there as well. Fruity malt behind all the above. Some hops in the finish, medium bodied and lightly sour. Pretty easy drinker around the holidays. I have found my new regular for my once-a-year pumkin ale fix!

hellomynameis (877) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JUL 1, 2006
Smells liek punkin pie. the bottle didn’t gush, but foam kept coming out of the top. I decided to not put this one in a glass as they are all dirty. Liek I indicated, it smells like pumkin pie, but that doesn’t so much carry through to the taste. It is pretty full bodied. There’snot much ber taste to this one. It’s just filled with spice with a predominate pumkin flavour standing out. I may enjoy it more carving a pumkin at halloween, but don’t find it all that exciting...

presario (4916) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 6, 2006
Dark orange-amber. Light fizzy head. Strong pumpkin and spice aroma. The question is how much pumpkin and how much flavouring. Cool novelty beer but I cannot see anyone drinking more than one bottle. Full mouth flavour of cold pumpkin pie.

User37895 (3042) - - MAY 31, 2006
I enjoy pumpkin ales and this one was above average. The spices were much more prevelant than the pumpkin flavor, as this one tasted like a fall fest style beer with a touch of pumpkin. Nice amber color and the flavor was complemented by a slightly higher touch of alcohol. Some breadiness to it and a noticeable presence of some degree of bittering hops.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - MAY 31, 2006
Great pumpkin pie and spice aroma. Flavor was mild, pumpkin, spice, just like Thanksgiving. Very good and refreshing without being over the top.

donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - MAY 27, 2006
I generally don’t like pumpkin ales, but if anybody could pull it off DH could. I really like this beer. Nice sweet rice flavors of pumpkin spices mixed with a great full flavored beer. Need I say more.

blankboy (7714) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 21, 2006
Bottle courtesy of Ross. Pours a slightly hazy amber-orange with a small diminishing white head. One sniff of the aroma and I think of Xmas. Pumpkin with brown sugar and lots of spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice -- they’re all there. Flavour follows the aroma, pumpkin and spices, and adds lots of malt and finishes a little boozy. I found the spicyness in the nose and taste mellowed out gradually as I drank it, I would have preferred it stay really spicy. Medium bodied. I liked it, it’s a good Pumpkin beer, but I was expecting better.

after4ever (8025) - Mukilteo, Washington, USA - MAY 16, 2006
12-ounce bottle. Pours medium brown with a short-lived thin whitish head. Basic sweet caramel maltiness on the nose, with a hint of dryish pumpkin around the edges--maybe more mental suggestion than anything. Medium body, light carbonation. The attack is basically the same ordinary caramel, but the finish is sweet and spicy, with cloves, pumpkin, and just a whiff of hop for balance. Interesting, even sessionable beer but still really a novelty style for most occasions.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Decent, a little weak in the maltiness, but is not over the top with the spiciness like so many of these in this category. Very mellow, with obvious flavors of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon, perhaps a little cardammon. Caramelized brown sugar sweetness, nice for a pint.

Beerdedone (3408) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2006
Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus.I enjoyed this. My first dogfish head beer. beautiful aroma, average pour, great smooth flavor, good body. great brew.