overall
RATINGS: 2008   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Punkin' Ale is a full-bodied, spiced brown ale brewed with baked pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is named after the annual Punkin' Chunkin Festival held near Lewes, Delaware the weekend after Halloween.

dberger624 (1028) - Voorhees, New Jersey, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Bottled. I actually thought I rated this one already. They should rename the Punkin Pie Ale. That's what I got from this one. Liquid pumpkin pie. Had a good spicy flavor to it.

bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 22, 2004
on tap blind tiger NYC in snifter: dark brown orangy glow, with a thin bubbley tanish head. very strong aroma (spices, cloves, cinammon) tastes quite sweet and mostly just spices not alot of pumpkin flavor. not something easy for me to drink....but i tried it.

Darkover (1544) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 14, 2004
Light amber with a small beige head. Cinnamon aroma. Flavor of spices and some pumpkin. Not bad. The spices and pumpkin are not overpowering like some pumpkin ales. But its still not as good as Crooked River Pumpkin Harvest Ale

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JAN 7, 2004
Tasted more spicy than of pumpkins. Has ths fall spice thing going on. Decent for a pumpkin ale but not really my thing.

TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Smells like Pumpkin and cinnimon. Hey, this is always what I expected a pumkin lager should taste like. Fancy that.

Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Nice orange color with a thin but long lasting white head. Wonderful pumpkin/cinamon scent. Nice thick beer, with a good layer of spices making this very interesting and enjoyable to drink. Darn good stuff.

SDbruboy (1863) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Bottle. Poured amber-brown with a minimal head that disappeared quickly. Aroma is like pumpkin pie - spicey with clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and all spice - earthy and sweet. Flavor is surprisingly good, rich, spicey with lots of pumpkin and a mild hoppy bite in the finish. Medium body and minimal carbonation.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - DEC 22, 2003
The_Beer_God it the rater to thank for sending this seasonal my way, A quality guy for sure!
Pours a slightly hazy Amber / Orange body topped with a fluffy tan head. The aroma is all spice, malt, and vague notes of pumpkin. The pumpkin shows its presence in the crisp organic flavor. Probably the best pumpkin brew I’ve had; the spice is not overpowering though; cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, large suggestions of toffee and caramel malt, but it is the creamy and buttery palate that I think I enjoy most. This brew leaves dripping sheets of lacing around the glass as it shows off its wonderful texture.
Thanks again Mike!

zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - DEC 12, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2014 Re-rate. I first reviewed this beer in 2003 and it seems to have radically improved over the past 11 years. We’ve been picking it up again like a Hallow’s Eve ritual for the past 3-4 years. Not too sweet or cloying. Balanced well. Not too much spice. Roasted caramel, vanilla, light pumpkin pie spice and banana. My wife and I buy it all up when it comes to the local stores.

pivo (2688) - GERMANY - DEC 9, 2003
This was fairly heavily spiced and very successfully so. I quite enjoyed it. Nice aroma of cloves and cinnamon right off the bat. Rusty amber color and low tight head. List sweet malt taste gets blown away quickly by the spices. Peppery end (mix of spices and hops?). Bold and just plain well done!