overall
RATINGS: 1053   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A big, Belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

SSSteve (4006) - - APR 1, 2007
reddish mahogany with no head. nutty, red wine aroma. flavor is very spiced with coriander and licorice. i donít notice the pinot noir flavors. nicely spiced.

GriffinAvenue (396) - Winchester, Massachusetts, USA - APR 1, 2007
Bottle. Reddish brown color. Thin and translucent. Grapes, white whint hints. Pleasing 3 part taste. Ok

sirpsycho (393) - Murrysville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2007 750 ml. bottle. Interesting beer. Poured a nice color red. Slight pink head. Flavor was a classic Witbier with just a touch of Pinot, not overbearing, but you notice it there in the background. The alcohol is almost impossible to detect. Easy to drink and a nice twist / change for a Wit. Putting one in the cellar for a future tasting.

auerbrau (3203) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Aroma present small phenols over aged wheat, possibly in some sense of a fruit. Pours a fiery bold read, with just off-white head. Flavor comes in an overbearing phenolic, salty rather plastic presentation. Sticky over-alcoholed esters and yeast muddle an other-wise decent beer. DFH residuals make this beer a failure. Pretty gross.

taffurs888 (124) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Taste was not specifically overwhelming. Very fruity taste to it, but it was not a tart, or sweet fruity taste. I really was not impressed at all, the corrainder flavor was barely palpable.

Padron4KM (810) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 31, 2007
750 ml bottle. Bottled on 2/9/07. Poured The color is interesting. Hazy yellow on the edges and light red toward the middle.

The head is two fingers thick, fluffy and long lasting. Patches of lace are left as it recedes.

Aroma is bready, citrusy, vanilla, with some cherries and spice.

Flavor is citrusy and wheaty, light cherry, maybe some raspberry.

Body is creamy, full, and lush.

Finish is long with citrus and spice.

I spent over an hour and a half with this bottle and I enjoyed it thoroughly

Rastacouere (6177) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 31, 2007
A hard beer to rate. First, it pours a pinkish orange and wears a nice little head for that strenght. The flavor profile is highly juicy. I canít say the Pinot Noir struck me as particularly genuine, certainly not feeling very supple and stripped from its tannins within all that wheat. Its characteristic cherry note comes across as very sweet. The spiciness and juiciness on the other hand pair well. The result is an extremely experimental ale, which I guess is the objective and certainly interesting to try, but it seems that the juiciness could not come without the invasive sweetness that would feel much friendlier with sharper tannins. Alcohol remains well concealed through and through though and putting a score up remains a hard task.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAR 30, 2007
An okay beer. I wasnít too happy with this beer. I thought that Dogfish Head would vastly improve the taste of the Witbier, but that didnít happen. The aroma is nice and fruity. Instead of having a strictly citrus flavor, the beer smells more peachy to me. I love the color, it is not yellowish, as most Witbiers are. There is little head, and the beer is very creamy. The taste just doesnít cut it for me. Very weak, and lasts only a short period of time. I like the better than other Witbier, but I see room for improvement. Tends to have a bitter strike towards the end, which makes this an interesting Witbier.

Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 29, 2007
They werenít kidding, it really is red (a very nice crimson) and white (pearly white head that held firm)!
Acidic nose that reminded me of raspberry vinegar. I wasnít sold at first, but it sort of grew on me. Not much grape, oak or fruit peel in the nose, at least not that I personally detected.
Sweet and fruity shows that DFH know how to make Beers with solid malt backbones, and they didnít overdo it with the barrel aging that often strips the maltyness away. And it hides the 11% dangerously well. You can feel a certain raisin aftertaste, and the oak was only a minor participant in the flavor profile, kudos for that, and for an overall very well made Beer.

Sudz (7) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2007 does not count
Really excited about this one, but was left disappointed. Interesting nose, kinda funky and weird, reminded me of the smell of a spit bucket. Not sure I liked it, but at this price I was really trying. I will say great color! The flavor was also a bit weird, almost like drinking one of those beer coctails that were popular in the í90s. Canít say I particularly enjoyed it, but Iím glad I tried.