overall
RATINGS: 1054   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A big, Belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

Sudz (7) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2007 does not count
Really excited about this one, but was left disappointed. Interesting nose, kinda funky and weird, reminded me of the smell of a spit bucket. Not sure I liked it, but at this price I was really trying. I will say great color! The flavor was also a bit weird, almost like drinking one of those beer coctails that were popular in the ’90s. Can’t say I particularly enjoyed it, but I’m glad I tried.

DubC (8) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2007 does not count
Pours a deep amber red. High alcohol content without being too full in body. Strong citrus aroma with a fruity taste and spicy finish.

DCJack (185) - Alabama, USA - MAR 29, 2007
really nice. I generally do not like fruity beers, but this dry trace of pinot noir is an excellent touch. Excellent appearance and body. Very full, alcohol content very subtle. A new favorite.

MartinT (9880) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 27, 2007
My Bottom Line:
Evocative orange peels are combined with flower petals to form a creative companion to the grape juice. The cushy carbonation and balanced spiciness are crucial in making this Belgian Witbier succeed with the Pinot Noir fruitiness.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A veil of foam covers the rosy cranberry red.
-This is well-malted, and the mouthfeel is very classy.
-Light tartness dries up the back end, as cranberry fruitiness swirls by.
-Alcohol is very well-hidden, which seems to be a DFH standard.
-The bready yeast adequately supports the spicy flower bouquet.

Bottled in February ’07. Thx Eric!!

ukoolaid (580) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Pours a cloudy orange amber with a white pinkish head. Good lacing. Aroma is sweet malts and orange peel. Taste is juicy and light with coriander and pepper spices. Finishes with a lightly tart citrus. This is damn good. When Dogfish experiments it’s not always perfect, but this one is great.

TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Bonus points for creativity. Even if a dogfish brew sucks, at least they’re trying something innovative. This is far from suck. Pours a violet red. Smells thinly of vinous qualities, fruits, yeast. Taste was wine-like but with spicey notes, some honey, and fruits. Finished the same. Very soft, delicate taste and palate. Alcohol is hidden. Balanced perfectly.

bb (9311) - Alamo, California, USA - MAR 26, 2007
Bottle. Amber, slight prplish, beer with a pink/purple head. Yeasty, slight citrus aroma. Yeasty, spicy, orange, slight grape flavor. Medium body. Lingering fruit and orange/yeast. Hudes alcohol well. Grape flavor gets stronger, but it’s definately a strong Belgian Wit first.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Ok, I get the Red and White now. Light puce amber color with a moderate off pink head. Fairly stable couple of centimeters of foam forming a lid. with light ring a lace in the wake of each sip. Floral soap aromas with hints of coriander. As it sets some fresh berry scent come out. A dichotomy of scents, there are some that I enjoy, with hints of wheat and spice; and then some seem to remind me of a cheap berry wine. While not present in the aroma, the strength does come out after a few quaffs with a mild flame and spice in the finish. Start does have a light sweet wheat and spice quality, quite typical of a wit. The middle kicks in and suddenly there is a burst of grapes and berries, there is even a light malt liquor quality (that corn/grain sweetness presence). Finish as stated prior has a certain spiciness and bitterness. Yes, orange rinds do seem to be in the forefront. LInger is rather dry with a gentle return to some malt and wheat. It’s odd, I shared my first bottle of this with some friend the other night and without thinking about rating, thought higher of this one. Perhaps my rating should be higher, or perhaps lower, as I maybe tempering this rating with my prior thought. Hell I don’t know. Either way, I enjoyed the experience. I think I thought about this one too much.

bgburdman9 (861) - columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Pours a light brown with reddish hues. Aroma was of some spices, alcohol, and maybe some light grapes. Flavor was very tasty. I could taste a little bit of the oranginess and some of the lemon from the coriander. The palate on this was most impressive. I didnt get the huge sweetness that I usually get in dogfish head beers. This left a clear palate that didnt bog down my tongue. Very tastey, joe is wrong on this one.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAR 24, 2007
Bottle. Pours like a shirley temple. Very nice beer. Been a long time since I’ve said that about a DFH beer. A very drinkable, interesting, fruity, sweet, but not overly sweet beer.