overall
RATINGS: 257   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 7   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Working with our archeologist friend Dr. Pat McGovern, this beer was created to incorporate the ancient ingredients and techniques described in Egyptian hieroglyphics. It was brewed to 11.4Plato with Emmer (an ancient form of wheat) and loaves of hearth baked bread and flavored with dom-palm fruit, chamomile, and zatar. Fermentation was carried out by a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain captured by Sam and Floris during a recent trip to Egypt. ABV went from 5 to 4.5%.

DrSilverworm (10000) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 14, 2012
10oz pour on draft for $10... What the hell, Cock and Bull? If I’d had known that before the bill came, I’d have spent myself an extra $2 and picked up a 750ml. A beer brewed with Zatar is really interesting to me though, it’s an ingredient featured in a great many Lebanese dishes, my family would have appreciated this. I thought I’d save myself a bit from the bottle price, but the way C&B priced it is just taking advantage of beer-tickers that often frequent there. Anyway... I did very much enjoy the beer, sticker-shock not withstanding. Nice, thin foamy white head, mostly clear golden color. Like I said, Zatar, and the thyme spice that’s included in it, is a big part of my palate. The Saison Du Buff had a very satisfying amount of raw thyme for me, but this Ta Henket is distinctly Zatar, a unique flavor on it’s own, and very spot-on. It’s much more savory, a hard to describe spicy taste unique to zatar that I enjoy very much. Very interesting. Smooth texture, crisp lighter carbonation. Great zatar aftertaste. Impressive big spice aroma for such a light ABV beer. $10 for a tulip, hell no. But I’ll definitely be buying a 750 or two to share this with the Lebanese family members and friends I know, I think they’ll be very interested in this.

bb (9790) - Alamo, California, USA - FEB 21, 2012
Draft. Amber beer with a cream colored head. Light spice aroma. Spice and wheat flavor with malt and grain. Medium bodied. Grain and spice linger with wheat and malt.

arminjewell (9729) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - FEB 6, 2012
Pour out of 750 mL bottle at home, orange-yellow pour with white head, big lively carbonation. Aroma has notes of corn, grain, some grass, slight fruity wheat notes, but it has some things in it that I haven’t smelled before. Taste is a mix of weird corn, grain, some slight fruit, hints of lemon, grains of paradise but in a weird way, touch of weird grainy notes, finishes fairly dry. Interesting, but not all that tasty.

drowland (9184) - Georgia, USA - JAN 1, 2012
1/1/12. Happy New Years! Why not celebrate with DFH’s latest gimmick? Clear golden pour, almost orange, with a small, fluffy off-white head that fades to a ring and laces in spotty chunks. Somewhat strange aroma that does in fact remind of baked bread, some floral aspects, and definitely some metallic tap water. Sweet flavor with touches of honey, toast, sweet flowers, and more metal. Meh. This may or may not make my top 5 list of beers made wirh Za’atar and Emmer Farro’.

nimbleprop (8949) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - JAN 17, 2012
Sampled at the DC Local Tasting a 750ml bottle pours a clear, bright gold with some clumpy white head. Flavor is herbal, passion fruit, dandelion greens, light berry. Flavor is sweet and weird, fruity, herbal. Tastes like watered down raspberry Snapple. Watery, herbal finish.

radagast83 (8624) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 15, 2012
Draft at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church. Poured a golden color with a tiny white head. Aroma was... odd. Spice, herbs, wheat, malts, very earthy. Flavor was about the same - light, but also quite robust, with extremely earthy notes.

SudsMcDuff (8541) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - MAY 23, 2012
Bottle .. Had twice over the past few months .. . an interesting beer indeed .. . pours a hazy caramel .. good healthy foam .. . light spice, prune, yeast, wheat, raisin, and more spice .. . light mouth, quite effervescent .. . love the background of this beer but a novelty at best .. . . They told me I had type A blood, but it was a Type-O.

PorterPounder (8364) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 21, 2012
Tallahassee, Fl - Market Square Liquors - 750 ml capped bottle. Pours a medium dark sparkling copper with a very slight head. Aroma is odd and vegetable-like. Pick up some burnt pumpkin, perhaps a date-like essence. Flavor is odd, but not unpleasant. Pick up a hint of butterscotch, some roasty meaty notes, some baked brown bread. Mouthfeel is just a tad thin. Not sure where this one was headed.

FROTHINGSLOSH (8291) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 4, 2012
I have to give them points for creativity but this beer was not overly pleasant. +++ Sampled on draft at 3R6P this beer poured a dark amber color with a medium sized creamy white head that left no lacing. The aroma was wheaty and grainy with notes of popcorn and Sugar Smacks cereal. The flavor was tart citrus and strong black pepper with notes of grainy popcorn and Sugar Smacks cereal. The finish was long with pepper and popcorn lingering. Odd.

AirForceHops (8037) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - APR 15, 2013
Draft @ The Pressroom Portsmouth, NH. Pint showed me a nearly clear gold color n o head with low carbonation. I have no idea what zatar and dom-palm fruit is. I had to look up Zatar which is actually spelled Za’atar and is a Middle Eastern Spice mix. Nose is light chamomile essence and a very strange funk. Taste is funky wheat, honey, chamomile and that odd Za’atar. Very herbal after taste. It did remind me of a few food items I had while being deployed to the Middle East and honestly that’s not a good thing. The herbs and flat carbonation turn me off a lot. I normally can finish any beer I order, except this one. I left half of it at the bar. I thought it was horrible.