overall
RATINGS: 830   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
This beer is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras which revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilization to toast special occasions. the discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1200 BC. As per the analysis, Dogfish head’s Theobroma (food of the gods) is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs, honey, chilies, and annatto (fragrant tree seeds). Theobroma is 9% ABV and will be available in Champagne bottles by late spring 2008.

beachbum25 (1092) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - APR 5, 2008
On tap @ Rehoboth Brewpub. Cloudy golden color w/a slight head & good lacing. Sweet, grassy aroma. Somewhat winelike, flavors of honey, white grapes & banana, didn’t really taste any cocca, I’d call it more a touch of a white chocolate. Reminded me of a Belgian Blonde. Had a lot of carbonation to it. Kind of different; seems like I end up saying that a lot about DFH stuff! I wouldn’t drink this all the time, but it would make a good before or after dinner drink (that’s whan I had it). Alcohol was very well hidden.

GMCC2181 (1614) - Newark, Delaware, USA - MAR 31, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2008 On tap at DE brewpub. Like Hoptagon said this beer was NOT what I expected. Light color yellow/golden. Small head. Taste was banana, sweet grapes, and honey. NOT the chocolate/stout I expected. It taste like MIDAS TOUCH in my opinion. I asked the bartender if she poured the wrong beer???? Only to be surprised that is was not! I could be wrong and definitely will re-rate once it comes out in a bottle. But for right now I was not impressed.*****Update**** Just cracked a 750ml bottle. Taste was the same as I remembered. Honey, coco powder.... This time I knew what to expect. Its just an ok beer. It is worth trying. Hats off to the DFH for trying to recreate such a unique brew!

Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAR 26, 2008
On draft at Rehoboth Brewpub 03/22/08. Let me start by saying that this beer was not at all like I expected. It was served in a fluted glass and was a very light banana golden color with a foamy white head. Initial aroma was of cocoa, honey and herbal spices. However as you inhale more deeply you can detect the chilies burning the back of your nose. Flavor was a bit sweet with some malt present. Really interesting mouthfeel that was fairly carbonated, but not as thin as I expected. Alcohol is extremely well hidden and was not noticeable at any point, even as the beer warmed up. As the beer warmed I got more of the cocoa character and hints of chili in the finish. Not sure how I feel about this beer, but it is very unique. I’ll try it again in a few months once its released in bottles.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2008
I had mine a couple of months after the other raters, and by now the beer is clear gold with a small white head. Nose is confusing and enticing, with honey, chocolate, and sweet malt notes. Taste is more confusing, as the honey speaks first, then the malts, then the chocolate, and then finally the chilies. Balance among sweet, chocolate. spice, and heat changes as the beer warms. Like most of Sam’s brews, I’m not sure what I would do with a six pack, let alone a case, but it was certainly amusing.

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - JAN 2, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2009 After finding out that theobroma is "food of the gods" I realized I better like it or else. Well I am always rebelious so whatever. Very strange for sure. Aroma had a lot of the earth in there. Everything from dirt to wood to moss to the compost pile behind my dads house. There was a hint of cocoa and some malt sweetness to hide the actual rotten materials. Taste is a bit like dry bread with aged worm marmalade, in a good way. I guess I need to try this again when released in bottles.

MaxxDaddy (419) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 8, 2007
Cask at Blind Tiger, served in a mug. Poured hazy yellow/orange with slight head. Aroma was very interesting; chocolate, honey, and sweet cherries. The taste was out there as well, some vague chocolate in there along with honey, but mostly yeasty. More chocolate comes out in the finish. Certainly an interesting experiment and maybe it’ll be a bit different when it comes out in bottles.

golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - DEC 6, 2007
Cask at the Blind Tiger. Hazy, opaque orange / yellow / brown color. Aroma is some chocolate, but also much like cherry cordials. The flavor was mostly chocolate, alcohol, still a little of the cherry cordials, with yeast, lemon rind, and dark chocolate bitterness in the finish. A unique beer.

JoeMcPhee (9575) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 5, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2009 I had wanted to try this for awhile since when I first tried it, the beer was very green. The initial pour is very sticky and chewy with a sort of lazy carbonation that can barely overcome the viscosity of the beer. The aroma has a lot of very light cocoa over a softly sweet pale malt base. There is a kiss of chile, but not very much. The chocolate character is very subtle with more of an herbal sweetness than any sort of real chocolate but it lends an interesting cocoa/fruity flavour to the beer. It’s fairly clean with a very light malt sweetness that accentuates the flavouring.

750 ml bottle. Deep golden beer with a thin white head. Aroma is loaded with light cocoa and coffee aroma. There is a hint of vegetal cocoa flavour, a bit of soft herbal sweetness. The spiciness has completely faded, but the chocolatey sweetness is still intact. A touch of light honeyish sweetess. It has cleaned up nicely over the last year, but I’d like to have seen the spiciness hold up.
7 3 7 3 14
Gravity cask at Blind Tiger. Pale brown beer with a thin tan head. Very cloudy. Aroma is lightly chocolatey. Quite sweet and fragrant without being roasty. A light caramelly aroma with a light honeyish malt character. Some cherry fruitiness and sweetness. Very bready and quite young smelling. The beer could probably stand to spend a few more weeks conditioning as it is very green right now. Light peppery with a cocoaish flavour on the back. Bready and very yeasty. I’ll look for this in bottles as I think it has real potential to be good.
7 2 6 3 13