Dogfish Head Three Floyds Poppaskull

overall

RATINGS: 159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Ale brewed with cardamom and 35% aged in oak brandy barrels.

nuplastikk (6275) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2010
750ml bottle. Pale, hazy golden-tan. Steady white head. Big herbal aroma, quite similar to the Sahtea in it’s intensity. Sweet and sugary, full bodied, but quite drinkable and smooth. Some sugary brandy tones I suppose. An interesting beer, but a little one-dimensional. Quite Belgian tasting, could have benefited had it displayed some Belgian, champagne-like effervescence. Sweet, straightforward malt tones..approaching bockiness underneath the herbal spiciness. Pretty good.

esjaygee (3904) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 1, 2010
Thanks Todd for the glass of Poppaskull! Golden yellow with a two finger white head that fades away moderately leaving some lace. Yeast and booze up front with sweet sticky malt, strong cardamom, mild fruit and some floral hops and the oak is there, perhaps by power of suggestion on the bottle label. More malty than hopped with plenty of yeast and alcohol. The cardamom and related spices ring through clearly and while I get the oak, I’m not getting the brandy, but I’m perfectly fine with that. Sweet and sticky this one warmed me up on a cold November Wisconsin night.

GMCC2181 (1610) - Newark, Delaware, USA - NOV 29, 2010
Bottle from krestons in Middletown DE... Pours the color of a pale ale... yellowish...decent head...nothing outstanding. Decent aroma of some flowers and spicey spices. Taste is the same....blended together very well... Flowery, almost perfume like.... spicey... enjoyable... I really couldnt tell this was aged in brandy... Alcohol was well hidden...Medium to light body, easy to drink...

bobvenekamp (12) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - NOV 28, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2010 750mL bottle. Pours a nice orange color with a medium sized white head. Some spice and light citrus on the nose as well as some Belgian-esque funk. Definitely tasted some of the cardamom and cinnamon along with a slight hint of brandy. Not bad, but I would say let this one mellow out for a while.

cbfobes (2883) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2010
Poured from bottle, pours a hazy golden with nice white head and lacing in the glass, the aroma is of cardamon mixed in with some citrus and hops, the flavor is smooth and nice with a fruity, spicey and some hops in the finish, interesting.

kassner (1659) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 28, 2010
Classic strong ale, blond very slightly hazy, nice head but not much lacing, certainly alcoholic and light fruity and citric notes from the yeast

efdejesus (93) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 26, 2010
Very interesting beer. Can taste the belgian funk. Finishes with an intense sweetness that is definitely different.

edwardbass (838) - Illinois, USA - NOV 24, 2010
Not sure I’d call this a Belgian strong ale...it’s kind of it’s own thing, like several DFH beers. Taken on it’s own, definitely has the spice aroma. The taste is surprisingly pleasant (for me - I am not a Belgian fan) The spices dominate, cardamom especially. There’s a hint of bitter and a sweetness that compliments the spices. Glad I tried it (I pretty much try anything that 3F is involved with), but not something I’ll repeat.

Goodgrief (2028) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - NOV 23, 2010
I’ve bought every Dogfish beer since I’ve started out, so despite my misgivings over it being spiced (not a fan of spiced ales). Plus the beer guy at the store told told me it wasn’t heavily spiced. So, the beer poured clear yellow. The first whiff told me the beer guy lied. Heavy spicing, ginger and cardamum present. The sweetness was almost enough to compensate. I just don’t like the style. Meh.

Pwn3d (1962) - Manhattan, New York, USA - NOV 23, 2010
On tap at the brewpub. Mouth tasted like a lot of rye. Sweet, sharp, and some barrell mellowness.