Dogfish Head Three Floyds Poppaskull

overall

RATINGS: 158   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Ale brewed with cardamom and 35% aged in oak brandy barrels.

mcmd (315) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 11, 2010
pours a clear golden orange. Aroma is juniper, some sort of spice, and lots of alcohol. Taste is sweet malt, Christmas spices which I assume is the cardamom, and alcohol again comes through. I really didn’t like this

dalepryor (305) - Paducah, Kentucky, USA - DEC 23, 2010
Aroma is spicy, Cardomon is really making an appearance. Flavor spicy as well with a sort of sweetness maybe from the brandy, really wish the brandy stood out more. Damn tasty brew overall and I’m more than likely getting another bottle!

mxtur (266) - Michigan, USA - JAN 25, 2011
Just disappointed. Really have nothing to say except I thought these two breweries would come up with a good concoction. Skip this one if you have never had a Dogfish Head or 3 Floyds beer.

thetomG (246) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 6, 2011
Clear light yellow/golden color. Nice layer of white foamy head. Aroma is a bit funky, but the flavor is much more enjoyable. Some nice peppery/spicy notes really shine through here. Maybe slightly more syrupy then I’d prefer, but not too bad. Definitely very drinkable. Recommended.

soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2011
25.4 oz bottle. Two of my famous breweries combined for one beer, although I’m a little puzzled by the other ratings low numbers.. Pours a hazy yellow-golden color with a tiny white head that dissipates immediately. Smells of brandy, a lot of dried fruits, what I’m guessing is cardamom, and an alcohol aroma. Tastes of dried fruits (grapes), some brandy hints, with a bit of an alcohol warming to it near the end. Got some bite to it, but reminds me of a wine, not a beer. Not bad, though I understand the lower ratings.

Shaftie (218) - , Maryland, USA - MAY 4, 2011
Bottle shared by markwise, danka. Unique in flavor this wasn’t as hearty as I was expecting given the ABV and the belgian nature. Has a lot of stuff going on and I’d imagine it’d age well. Thumbs up.

coharahawk (170) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 25, 2011
Tap at Roman’s. Pours clear/golden. Aroma is slightly astringent, reminds of mouthwash or Vick’s or something. Flavor is not too far off, but more reminiscent of black licorice/anise. Not a huge fan of this one, although this was a cool idea.

HoppyAlesToYou (167) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - NOV 19, 2010
Overly cardamom on the nose, which masks any other scents. A sip does reveal the slight brandy and sweet funky Belgian yeast notes, but it is all muted by the damn cardamom. Perhaps some age would help, but I’m not willing to gamble.

jameswolfe (160) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 26, 2010
My least favorite fff ever. I liked the aroma and this is a very different beer. But it has a powerful taste that I just found as "Off"

RLiddell (141) - Valrico, Florida, USA - FEB 3, 2013
Poured from 750ml. bomber. Appearance is a cloudy, golden color with loads of suspended particles, topped with an off-white head. The nose hits with the aroma of cardamom and sour apples. Taste follows the nose, cardamom up front, sour apples and berries in the background. Finishes moderately dry with the alcohol. Ver nice!