Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 2001/2003-Present (18%)

overall

RATINGS: 2144   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
This listing encompasses: A) the November, 2001 release (18% abv), B) the November, 2003 U.S. (but not U.K.) release (18.8% abv), C) the November, 2004 release (18% abv), and D) the November 2005 release (17.8% abv) and E) all subsequent releases due both to their similarity in alcohol content and a lack of change in recipe. None of the releases’ labels provides its ABV, however:
2001 - (18%) displays the unaltered words "Vim and Vigor" on the label, gold cap
"Vim and Vigor" is crossed out only on the 2002 release (23%), which is not rated under this listing
2003 - U.S. release (18.8%). No "Vim and Vigor" present, gold cap.
2004 - Bright yellow cap, no date stamp
2005 - Bright yellow cap, date stamp
2006 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2007 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2008 - Yellowish-green cap, date stamp
World Wide Stout is one of the world’s strongest dark beers. It is brewed using six different yeast strains over seven months and then aged for half a year. Dark, rich, roasty, and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer (released in early winter with very limited availability).

blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 30, 2003
dark,thick, choclatly... beautiful. Thick black motor oil pour with a dark brown head. Aroma has coffee and malt. The taste.... well the tast is perfect. It sits on the tip of my tongue for min... and gets better and better. The flavor beats you upside the head ... i fail to find any faults with this beer... i almost ripped the rest of the bottle out of my friends hand.... perfection

EKGoldings (668) - Radford, Virginia, USA - JUL 30, 2003
Well, I like this better than the 23%. Roasted coffee, chocolate, fruity esters, malt and oh the alcohol. Really an amazing collection of flavors in this beer. I wish I was more a fan of the style but I can't finish an entire small bottle of the stuff, just too strong and rich.

lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - JUL 26, 2003
a beautiful scented beer with hints of molasses, flat black color no head, a large alcohol flavor that is very harsh, cherry flavored along with a smoky honey flavor, this thing is complex but way too much alcohol

LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUL 26, 2003
Black beer with very thin tan head. Aroma of chocolate, cherry, coffee and alcohol. My first sip was not what I expected. It was smooth, full of chocolate flavor. Left my mouth tingling and my stomach warm. The roasted malt flavor is great. The beer maskes the alcohol well, but it is definitely a sipping beer.

omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 26, 2003
Chez Mittenstein - June 2003: Pours a ruddy, dark brown. Smells sweet and roasted. Light on the tongue. Quick finish. Burnt overtones. Yay! Good beer.

EdPaulsen (117) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 24, 2003
really cool looking,and totally intense smell and taste, but a very aquired one, and probably not for me. very challenging to drink, physically and attention-wise. pretty expenise at 10 bucks a bottle. heard they are carrying it in london supermarkets (?)

happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUL 23, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2003 Another masterpiece from DFH.2003-18.8%,Pours out Black.No light can be seen through this beast.This actually raises a nice brown head that quickly dissapates/a bit of nice brown lace.Aroma is lovely,sweet(yeasty?) yet roasted chocolate/alcohol.The flavor offers a very tasty representaion of the aroma,the hops also shine nicely in this years edition!.The palate is suprisingly smooth/this does warm(burn) on the way down at times.I still think this remids me of Youngs Old Nick or an Anchor porter yet w/ all this alcohol.Very enjoyable and easier to drink than many nice beers I have had.Get this sinister black gift from heaven at once(before I buy them all!)Less like a barleywine than the 2002 which I had rated in ignorance as the 18%.The 18.8% is so there but well hidden once you settle into this amazing beverage.I can sense alot of yeast every now and then.Was lucky enough to get another 23% so I can re-rate that in it's proper rating space.Better than any port I have tried.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUL 13, 2003
After tasting the IPA line last night, I going after the stouts tonight. Opaque black with no head, oily like film on the edge. A powerful raisin/prune, chocolate, expresso, anise and sublime fruit nose. Ripe fruit, toffee, maple sugar and roasted malt flavors are huge. Vinous in style. All in all pretty nicely balanced and dangerous, if you can picture an elephant on a tightrope, you get my drift! Slight alcohol warmness on finish, does a good job of hiding most of the 18% ABV. Very oily and creamy mouthfeel, FULL-BODIED, thick and sticky. Just a little more hops and this would have been even better. I'm in awe of this brew, a work of art. Pour and enjoy.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - JUL 3, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2004 "Rerate" is actually my first correct rating of this beer, I had accidentally dropped it under the 23% version instead. 2003 bottling. Pitch black, got a decent but short lived head much to my surprise, never thought a beer this thick could raise one. Nose of liquor, espresso, hints of chocolate, and roasted malts. Oily mouthfeel, initially like a coffee and chocolate liquor, but then the ethanol swoops in and burns away these flavors, leaving nothing but a trace of fiery vapor in your mouth. The roughness of the alcohol detracts too much from this beer in my opinion. Although more drinkable than the 23%, it wasn't quite as interesting somehow. Need to lay one down for some serious aging.

jgb9348 (6482) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - JUN 27, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2003 2001 (18.0%) Bottle:
I'll first start out by saying i've been waiting a long time to sample this beer. In addition, I had the 23% (2002) version of this beer and absolutely loved it. Based on ratings alone, this beer should be even better! The pour is very nice....very thick black colour with a thin dark brown head. The head didn't develop very well, because I was hesitant to pour it very quickly with fear of some sediment on the bottom of the bottle. The smell is fantastic as well...definately roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. In addition, some sugar sweetness comes out in the aroma, but 'behind' the darker, roastier fragrances. The taste is pretty nice as well...very sweet, burnt flavours mixed with coffee-style bitterness and an aftertaste that lasts a good 3-5 minutes. The alcohol isn't very noticable, definately less so than the 23% edition. While it may not serve as any consolation, this to me is very similar to the 23%, aside from the alcohol taste. I wish I could have had them both side-by-side, and I can still do that....but it would cost a fair amount of money! A fantastic beer from a great brewery! I can't wait for 2003's beer! Score for this rating: 9,5,9,5,18.

2003 (18.8%) Bottle:
Pitch black coloured body with light ruby highlights and a thin fast-dying light brown head. VERY nice aroma of cherries, roasted malt, dark chocolate, a bit of coffee and some sugary sweetness. Heavy-bodied; Coats the mouth with sugar, grapes, raisins, plums and roasted malt. Aftertaste super sweet and clean-alcohol hidden well for the 18.8%! The best WWS i've had to date (including old 18.0% and the 23%) to boot! I got this bottle from Haddon90, which he purchased at Whole Foods in Vienna, Virginia and we sampled it on 25-December-2003...Thanks again Phil! Score for this rating: 10,4,10,5,19