overall
RATINGS: 2554   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - NOV 4, 2006
22 oz. 2006 release. Pours a thick creamy dark maroon with a thick head and big slow moving bubbles. Aroma has a strong alcohol presence, sweet toasted carmel notes, and subtle hints of fruit and raisin. Taste is just as complex. Medium to heavy mouthfeel, with a nice warming feel from the alcohol. This bastard freakin’ rocks!

garmonbozia (450) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - NOV 4, 2006
Now this is what I imagined it would be. This was an awsome expirence. I really liked the dark cloudy color of this beer. It was nice and thick and it warmed as it went down, I could taste the alcohol in this one for sure. I would love to have more of these.

jwhite (1) - USA - NOV 3, 2006 does not count
06 version. An absolute monster of a beer. More barleywine than I recall of the 05 and in my mind a lesser beer but still, yet again a staggering achievement.

raphael (1303) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 3, 2006
slightly souring malt aroma, acrid unripe pineapple with some powdered sugar on it. nice roasty brow with a modest head. slides through the mouth. what impresses me is the smoothness, the balance. my tingling tongue knows there’s hops a plenty, but the balancing sweetness is almost honeyed, with some dark cherry and almost an orange taste.

hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2006
2006 bottle. Poured a deep copper/amber with a small to medium off white head. Aroma is dark malts, some dark fruit, a touch of chocolate, and complimentary alcohol. Taste is about the same as the aroma, with a touch of hops. I was very impressed by this beer, tastes actually much like the darker belgian beers with a neutral yeast strain.

cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2006
Bottle: Poured amber in color with a small white head. Smell is full of malt, which seems to hide any hops that are in this beer. I also note a bit of grapefruit. Beer taste is a bit bitter, with a bunch of malt to compliment. I notice a nice grapefruit in this one. Tastes sort of like some barley wines I have had, but with more hop. Interesting, but good.

DCJack (187) - Alabama, USA - OCT 31, 2006
excellent beer the alcohol is very present and has a devastating effect. not for the faint of heart. Very pleasantly bitter aftertaste, not unlike Campari, but not as sweet strong hop presence

asmithbeer (71) - California, USA - OCT 28, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2006 Lighlty hoppy and perfume smell. Medium amber color with decent head. Flavor is medium hoppy and slighlty sweet/acetic, good complexity and finish.

rjulian24 (18) - USA - OCT 24, 2006
Good beer 2006 version. One of Stone’s better creations than in the past. Alcohol is is present but not as overbarring as in the 10th aniversary. The caramel and hops balance nicely. A l get a slight odd aftertaste that I can’t put my finger on. Good beer not bad for teh price either (3.99 for a bomber).

duffman462 (175) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - OCT 22, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2006 The sweet caramel aroma hit me in the face from a foot away. Very strong, and the flavor doesn’t disappoint. Textured malts a plenty, with some hops, although not as much as I expected form Stone. Extremely well balanced. Detectable alcohol, although not too much for 10%. After two I was smiling and couldn’t stop. I tried. I had one a year ago that was good, and then bought two today from a local beer shop (The Bottle Shoppe, Bellingham, WA) that had been cellared for a year. Aged very, very well.......Highly recommended!!!