overall
RATINGS: 2597   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. Course theres always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAY 28, 2006
2005 bottle courtesy of Naven. Good overall, but I just dont like the hops here. They come across to me as being very bitter and cloying. I love hops, but the combination here just doesnt work for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
patrick767 (4038) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 27, 2006
2005 bomber - The bastard was taunting me from my fridge, telling me that sure I could handle an Arrogant Bastard, but I didnt have what it takes to down the unruly big brother, double bastard. So I had no choice but to drink up. This cocky SOB pours dark brown with a thin head. The aroma is surprisingly malty given the huge IBUs. My first sip revealed that though I hadnt smelled them much, there were huge mountains of hops hiding in this dark brew. The malts Id smelled were completely hammered down by the hops overload. With 10% ABV well masked, the thick body coats the tongue and leads to a long, bitter finish. Double Bastard put me in mind of a barley wine thats been hopped all to hell and back. Its good and I do like big, aggressive beers, but the description is very right about it being "lacerative". Its very harsh on the palate, much moreso than their comparably hopped Ruination, which I love. My bottle was about 7 months old. Id suggest waiting two years or more instead. Give this biggest of bastards some time to settle down a little bit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 24, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2009 Pours copper-amber color. Sweet malty aroma with some strong hoppiness- cherry, oranges, cotton candy, maple syrup, caramel, vanilla, pineapple. Flavor is ultra-hoppy, with tons of citrusy hops on a oaky caramel base; maple syrup, dried cherries and apricots. Sticky, thick palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (267) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 21, 2006
After tasting the Arrogant, or Single Bastard, I wondered for long what made the Double Bastard indeed double. I was hoping for a second helping of malts rather than hops as I found the original somewhat bitter for my taste. The pour produced a clear but deep ruby body topped of a creamy custard head that rapidly disappeared to yield a central column of carbonation. At the nose I found my inquiries to be answered by a straightforward but complex aroma. Sweet rich malts are well balanced by the alcohol and a fruity blend of cherry, apple, berries, and syrupy orange scents mingles with a creamy coffee note. The flavor was a bit more reminiscent of the single Bastard with its strong grapefruit tonalities accompanied by slightly green coffee and chocolate notes. Some flowery bitterness is also noticeable as it joins the finishing bloom of grape juice leading to a smooth creamy aftertaste. A terrific effort from Stone, and my favorite so far.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
vyvvy (6057) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Thanks to TannerTavernBoys for sharing this monster. Aroma is sweet caramel with heavy alcohol presence and piney hops. Nice brown color to the beer with a white head that forms a halo around the glass. Flavor is very sweet with caramel malt and toffee. The finish is lots of piney hops and even more alcohol flavor. It is a bit thick and syrupy. A nice beer, but I prefer the Arrogant Bastard. The alcohol was not at all hidden in this. Definitely worth trying though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
STEPHENDR (478) - California, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Dark brown appearance little head - Molasses, brown sugar with alcohol nose- sweet and dry hoppy taste (raisin?)- texture slightly rough sour/sweet after taste

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2006
Pours a very reddish amber with a small white head that laces the glass. Sweet, floral aroma, it definitely tells the tale of the road ahead. Big, sweet, and sticky malt blast up front is met with a lesser hop finish, with a trace of burning alcohol. Mouthfeel is certainly thick and sticky, but its balanced enough to make the 22oz bottle enjoyable, not a chore.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
railcat1 (702) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - MAY 3, 2006
this is a strong thick ale.sweet and little fruit tones.would drink again but will stick to my stouts.something this thick and strong should be a stout but was good anyway

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bartzilla (622) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Stop. Hammer Time. Violence in a bottle. This will turn the baddest mofos into little piteous heaps of blood and tears. Itll send shivers down your spine and decrease your fertility by 23%. This stuff is too good for a puny mortal like myself. In short: Awesome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - APR 27, 2006
Pours a syrupy deep amber color, kind of brownish, with a thick crop of tan foam. Nose is thick and sweet, with hints of caramel and citrus. Flavor is thick as well. Heavy sweet malts give way to an overpowering alcohol vibe, has a heavy heat on it. Again with stone, you get a beer that isnt terribly good, Its just a kick in the mouth.