overall
RATINGS: 2554   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 18, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2008 Bottle. Pours a dark amber/reddish-orange color with a fine, almost frothy cream colored head. Aroma is rather pungent; sweet and malty with citrusy sweetness and hints of alcohol, bourbon especially, and vanilla (with other spices that I can’t really pick out specifically). Also some nice earthy notes and pineyness. Flavor has a nice balanced bitterness with a chewy hoppiness that I didn’t expect from the aroma. Nice alcohol notes at the end that pairs nicely with the dry finish. I do wish there was some of that spice and citrus I picked up in the aroma, but still a very nice tasting beer. Palate is nice; good carbonation, but a tad syrupy. Great beer, one of Stone’s better offerings. Rerate - brewed 10/07 - boozier than I remember. I’m not sure what keeps them from calling this a barley wine.

Wretchedhalo (11) - USA - AUG 3, 2006
Scary beer.. grapefruit flavor lingers and very carbonated. i got the half gallon bottle for $70.00 with the chain and lock on it

Boutip (6628) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 24, 2006
Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of heavy sweet malt with a strong dose of bitter hops. Taste is really sweet with a heavy dose of sweet malt plus a strong bitter hops presence. Body is above average with no discernable trace of alcohol. Very good try at bringing a lot of extreme side to a beer while conserving some balance.

RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - JUL 18, 2006
Pours a hazy brown with an inch-thick fluffy head. Strong, rich aroma of malt, hops and spice, maybe a touch of dried fruit. Flavor is a complex bittersweet mixture of sweet malt, dried fruit, warm alcohol and malt with a strong hop presence. Freaking excellent beer. very comparable/similar to the best barleywines I’ve had, despite being labeled as an American strong ale.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - JUL 14, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2008 Holy Schnikes! Wow, I have been drinking alot of beer lately (hey, its hot summer!). One of these bombers is kickin me hard. Very full over the top flavor. NOT for the faint hearted lite beer sipper. Thick, chewy, lots of alcohol. Mama call me a cab! Oh wait, I’m at home......This beer will kick you in the keister. Updated from 4.2 to 4.5 on 12/25/08. This years batch is phenomenal.

PilsnerPeter (3049) - Flushing, New York, USA - JUL 9, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2008 Nice beer. Hazy brown with thick light brown head. Aroma is roasted chocolate with a citrusey background. Strong malt character with a roasted chocolatey dry character. Has a bit of grapefruit bitterness and a firm but balanced hoppy finish.

mnurda (1305) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 7, 2006
This Ale just about knocked me over. Way too strong for my liking, but full of flavour. Freakin Frog well done.

thebaldwizard (1365) - Ohio, USA - JUL 3, 2006
The Double Bastard is one bad mother. I really loved this beer. The pour was dark reddish brown with a nice head on top. The aromas pour from the glass as soon as you get it out of the bottle. The aroma is of sweet malt and hops. The mouthfeel is one of the best I’ve experienced. It is thick and creamy--perfect, I would say. The flavors are rich and thick as well. You get plenty of citrusy hops parked right next to lots of sweet satisfying caramel-like malt. This is a rich satisfying brew. The best barleywine I’ve had. Reminds me quite a bit of Victory Old Horizontal."

IrishBoy (4252) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUN 30, 2006
(Bottle a bonus from ABUSEDGOAT trade) 2005 release. Nose of caramel malts with a hint of raisins. Deep dark amber,semi hazy, with only a tiny beige head; flavor shows caramel malts, with a plummy note, a molasses note, and alcohol present (not surprizing at 10%), and an alcohol and light hop bitterness in the finish, almost halfway between an imperial porter and barleywine.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 26, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2007 In the bomber bottle from Roof Bros. I shared this with some pals on Memorial Day. I wish I had been more like Daffy Duck and exclaimed, "Mine, mine, it’s all mine!" Pours dark brown, mahoganey blood red. Has a yellow-beige head of sizeable retention. There’s all sorts of things going on with the aroma: juniper pine, flower water and grapfruits. This would best be described as an Imperial Porter, if I had to categorize it beyond the broad, catch-all setting of "strong ale." It cleanses the palate with fire. This defininitely lives up to the hype. UPDATE 1/2007: Reddish purple dark amber. Thick beige head. Candy sweet raspberry jolly rancher aroma. Such a burn, not quite as much as a barleywine. Big hops cling to the tongue. hard bitch from hell bitterness. Big acidity.