overall
RATINGS: 2541   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

timtheenchanta (70) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Reddish brown liquid with large light tan head. Plenty of thick lacing. Complex smells of caramel malt, honey, apples, and alcohol balanced well with some citrusy hops. The fun continues with some light fruit taste maybe pineapple and a little apple. Lots more caramel malt taste followed by a roasted malt taste. The transitions continue from sweet to spicy. Good spicy hops with plenty of pleasant alcohol warming. Smooth thick syrupy feel. The only thing that keeps this beer from being a perfect five is the overly dry spicy feel left ten minutes later that leaves my mouth feeling like I just woke up (yeah you know that feeling). Other than that, this is one of the most complex and delicious beers I’ve had. Thank you again Greg Koch/Stone Brewing.

Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - MAY 31, 2006
2005 bomber. Deep copper-orange pour with a thin yellowy tan head. Nose hits you immediately - brown sugary malt and citrusy hops. The strength of the malt in the nose is suprising. Initially, the sweet maltiness is there, but is bludgeoned into submission by the bitter flower. Still, the strength of the two flavors is remarkable. Slightly syrupy body, and the alcohol is hidden well - you only know it is there by the warming down your gullet. Niiice.

thehipone (197) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 29, 2006
Despite supposedly being more "evil" than its smaller brother, it is actually much more balanced and better, even if the hops are more assertive. Big thick malty palate that is right at the line between being nice and being syrupy. Loads of American hop aroma and taste, well balanced by carame;ly malt flavors. Nice.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAY 28, 2006
2005 bottle courtesy of Naven. Good overall, but I just don’t like the hops here. They come across to me as being very bitter and cloying. I love hops, but the combination here just doesn’t work for me.

patrick767 (4115) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 27, 2006
2005 bomber - The bastard was taunting me from my fridge, telling me that sure I could handle an Arrogant Bastard, but I didn’t have what it takes to down the unruly big brother, double bastard. So I had no choice but to drink up. This cocky SOB pours dark brown with a thin head. The aroma is surprisingly malty given the huge IBUs. My first sip revealed that though I hadn’t smelled them much, there were huge mountains of hops hiding in this dark brew. The malts I’d smelled were completely hammered down by the hops overload. With 10% ABV well masked, the thick body coats the tongue and leads to a long, bitter finish. Double Bastard put me in mind of a barley wine that’s been hopped all to hell and back. It’s good and I do like big, aggressive beers, but the description is very right about it being "lacerative". It’s very harsh on the palate, much moreso than their comparably hopped Ruination, which I love. My bottle was about 7 months old. I’d suggest waiting two years or more instead. Give this biggest of bastards some time to settle down a little bit.

lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 24, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2009 Pours copper-amber color. Sweet malty aroma with some strong hoppiness- cherry, oranges, cotton candy, maple syrup, caramel, vanilla, pineapple. Flavor is ultra-hoppy, with tons of citrusy hops on a oaky caramel base; maple syrup, dried cherries and apricots. Sticky, thick palate.

kepano (281) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 21, 2006
After tasting the Arrogant, or Single Bastard, I wondered for long what made the Double Bastard indeed double. I was hoping for a second helping of malts rather than hops as I found the original somewhat bitter for my taste. The pour produced a clear but deep ruby body topped of a creamy custard head that rapidly disappeared to yield a central column of carbonation. At the nose I found my inquiries to be answered by a straightforward but complex aroma. Sweet rich malts are well balanced by the alcohol and a fruity blend of cherry, apple, berries, and syrupy orange scents mingles with a creamy coffee note. The flavor was a bit more reminiscent of the single Bastard with its strong grapefruit tonalities accompanied by slightly green coffee and chocolate notes. Some flowery bitterness is also noticeable as it joins the finishing bloom of grape juice leading to a smooth creamy aftertaste. A terrific effort from Stone, and my favorite so far.

vyvvy (6639) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Thanks to TannerTavernBoys for sharing this monster. Aroma is sweet caramel with heavy alcohol presence and piney hops. Nice brown color to the beer with a white head that forms a halo around the glass. Flavor is very sweet with caramel malt and toffee. The finish is lots of piney hops and even more alcohol flavor. It is a bit thick and syrupy. A nice beer, but I prefer the Arrogant Bastard. The alcohol was not at all hidden in this. Definitely worth trying though.

STEPHENDR (478) - California, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Dark brown appearance – little head - Molasses, brown sugar with alcohol nose- sweet and dry hoppy taste (raisin?)- texture slightly rough – sour/sweet after taste

f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2006
Pours a very reddish amber with a small white head that laces the glass. Sweet, floral aroma, it definitely tells the tale of the road ahead. Big, sweet, and sticky malt blast up front is met with a lesser hop finish, with a trace of burning alcohol. Mouthfeel is certainly thick and sticky, but it’s balanced enough to make the 22oz bottle enjoyable, not a chore.