overall
RATINGS: 2554   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2006
Pours a very reddish amber with a small white head that laces the glass. Sweet, floral aroma, it definitely tells the tale of the road ahead. Big, sweet, and sticky malt blast up front is met with a lesser hop finish, with a trace of burning alcohol. Mouthfeel is certainly thick and sticky, but it’s balanced enough to make the 22oz bottle enjoyable, not a chore.

railcat1 (706) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - MAY 3, 2006
this is a strong thick ale.sweet and little fruit tones.would drink again but will stick to my stouts.something this thick and strong should be a stout but was good anyway

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Stop. Hammer Time. Violence in a bottle. This will turn the baddest mofo’s into little piteous heaps of blood and tears. It’ll send shivers down your spine and decrease your fertility by 23%. This stuff is too good for a puny mortal like myself. In short: Awesome.

TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - APR 27, 2006
Pours a syrupy deep amber color, kind of brownish, with a thick crop of tan foam. Nose is thick and sweet, with hints of caramel and citrus. Flavor is thick as well. Heavy sweet malts give way to an overpowering alcohol vibe, has a heavy heat on it. Again with stone, you get a beer that isn’t terribly good, It’s just a kick in the mouth.

BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 24, 2006
Dark copper with a nice tan head and great lacing. Big dark fruit aroma of plum/raisin. Lots of malts upfront with a great bitter kick at the end. Lots of lingering bitterness at the finish. I prefer the regular bastard but this ones a winner too.

calinative68 (4) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - APR 20, 2006 does not count
Had a friend bring be a 3 Litre of DB for Super Bowl weekend. It didn’t last one day! Another huge beer by Stone, actually easier to drink than Arrogant Bastard.......

Minker17 (14) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - APR 11, 2006
A great beer that I thoroughly enjoyed drinking. Great color, aroma, minimal head, and a taste that was both sweet and a bit fruity at the same time.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2006
I brought a HUGE bottle to a board meeting to celebrate the launch of a startup; I brought it to make the point that a truly unique product can sell at a premium price and does not need to competet with commodities like Budweiser solely on retail price. Appearance is good ... a striking copper gold, crystal clear, with a frothy tan head. Nose is sweet toffee, sweet fruits, and alcohol. Taste is sweet toffee, dried fruit, cherries, and an alcohol burn; the strong bitterness is not quite sufficien t to compensate for the alcohol. Mouth is syruppy. The pieces are all ok, the total package is a little better than ok, but with a bit more carbonation to cut the syrup and less of an alcohol presence this would be much better. I strongly prefer Arrogant Bastard, Ruination, Smoked Porter, and a few others from Stone.

Ibrew2or3 (8912) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 30, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2009 A well timed trip to Seattle allowed me to score one precious bottle of this stuff. I checked 7 places that had some, at least at some point, and one bottle is all I could I find. Not bad considering I live in helplessly Stone-less Florida. Very good beer. The beer poured out of the 22oz bottle with little head. There wasn’t much in the way of aroma. Being a Double Bastard I was anticipating double everything you’ll find in a single Bastard. Not the case. Still I found it a very smooth and balanced beer. The only fault I find in this beer, other than its availability, is that it was a little too smooth and subdued. Not a bad thing at all. Just not what I had expected after waiting so long to finally get a bottle. I thought I’d get run over by the “In your face” taste I was expecting. Great beer. I’d love another.

BeerHawk (1811) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - MAR 29, 2006
2005 release. Pours a reddish brown with a thin tan head. Sweet aromas of dark fruits and caramel. Dark fruits also found in the flavor but I felt the flavor was more overpowered by the alcohol and bitterness. Full, thick, warming, sticky, and bitter. Double bastard because you see double or because you should share it? Oh, you bastard but I needed that!