overall
RATINGS: 2547   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

Ratman197 (15364) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JAN 29, 2006
On tap @ Falling Rock poured a clear, dark copper with a small amber head. Aromas of plum, vanilla and brown sugar. Palate was light bodied and slightly syrupy. Flavors of sweet dark fruit with a warming bitter finish.

alaskanwarren (286) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Reddish brown, with a creamy tan head. Aroma is full of hops, malt and alcohol. You can tell this one will bite you. Flavor si bitter with hops, roasty malt. Metallic aftertaste and lots of apricot. Body is thick and cloying. Respect this beer. I’m glad I had Segfault to share it with. It’s mighty and it’s might good.

Scubatrip (610) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2006
From the bottle, pours an opaque medium brown with a thin off-white head. Very interesting aroma....very malty, roasted barley, some caramel. Tastes like it smells, plus a fair amount of bitter hops at the end. There’s a hint of chocolate in there too. This is a good one, but I’m not sure I’d rank it in the 100th percentile.

blankboy (7808) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 22, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry. Pours a clear bubbly ruby with an average size lasting off-white head. Aroma of funky hops with a nice amount of caramel malt and some dark fruit. Flavour -- holy shit, that’s almost like a Barley Wine. LOTS of hops with some dark fruit, malt, wood and alcohol. Full bodied and fairly well balanced but still one of the harder Stone beers to drink -- perhaps I am not fully worthy. Still, it’s one fine Ale and I will attempt to prove my worthyness again and again.

jefcon (1935) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 21, 2006
Mostly amber with a ruby hint and a tight, dissipating head. Aromas are light, some clove/citrus, some whisky barrel. Extremely aggressive on the hops, no effort to hide the alcohol. Long, musky finish. Lots of bravado throughout, but to limited effect. It lacks the balance and depth that malts give an ale. In spite of this, the beer is pretty clean. I’m probably being a bit harsh with it (it’s still quite good), but I probably expected a bit more.

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2006
A little dissappointing... hops were extremely aggresive, way too bitter and acidic, rather than highlighting aroma. Very malty nose and flavor, strong alcohol presence. A good beer, but a little "too much," though I guess that’s the point. Tastes mostly like a hopped-up english barley wine.

HogTownHarry (7065) - Toronto (Harbourfront), CANADA - JAN 19, 2006
Bottle (650ml). Shared with blankboy - his bottle. Poured deep clear ruby-mahogany with an average lasting foamy beige head. Aroma of funky hops, solid light roast malt, yeast, some tart fruit and a hint of cheese or cream - pretty funky but it hits a nice balance as it warms up. Wow - flavour of hot alcohol malt, restrained citrus and resin hop medley, peat, wood and yeast notes. Mouthfeel is creamy, bitter and fairly hotly alcoholic - I really like this, but I’m not convinced I’m "worthy." Bastards.

mkgrenwel (619) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 16, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2007 I don’t quite buy the Stone hype, but this isn’t a bad beer. I actually find it to be quite balanced, not nearly as aggressive and harsh as I was expecting. It is malt-forward with a strong sticky sweetness, opposed by the hop bitterness in the back. The malt gives some barleywine-like flavors of dried fruits. In fact, I might classify this as an American barleywine. I also get some of that same pineapple that was in the regular AB, but very little citrus or other hop character. Alcohol burn. None of the sawdust that I found in AB. Pretty solid beer. Something I’d have again, but not rave about.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 15, 2006
Bottle from Premier Gourmet, Buffalo. Rich, dark amber colour with a healthy off-white head. Aroma of toffee, caramel, dark dried fruit, earthy hops. Big, thick, full mouthfeel. Flavour is huge, but remarkably balanced, with syrupy sweet malt, notes of butterscotch and raisins, a pleasant oakiness, and that marvelous hit of citric hops in the finish. Killer! I drank this one soon after getting mu hands on it, but I’d love to lay one down for a couple of years to see how it fares.

tlitt2 (58) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - JAN 14, 2006
3 Liter I recieved for Christmas. Dark amber color with a creamy off-white head. Very little carbonation. Smells sweet, almost ciderish. Also has slight aroma of alcohol. Flavor is of caramel, and quite a bit of sweetness initially which turns quickly to bitterness. Finishes dry like wine. Like some others stated, this at times taste like no other beer I’ve ever had. Highly drinkable in my opinion considering it’s less than modest ABV. Would like to taste again soon.