overall
RATINGS: 2539   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

GreenDragon (219) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 24, 2005
The Double Bastard pours with a tawny head that vanishes quickly. A glorious glorious taste, definately one of my favourites.

maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 24, 2005
Sugary aroma with some light bitterness present. Cherry color with a thick caramel head. Fairly sweet taste with heavy bitterness in the background.

segfault (103) - Centennial, Colorado, USA - NOV 24, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2005 Thanks to alaskanwarren for bringing this one over. Color is a deep reddish copper. Aroma is malt, mild hops (C-hops) and Apricots. The taste is malty sweetness, bitterness, and roastiness with hints of apricots and plums that are very well balanced. Lingering aftertaste is roasty, a little metallic and bitter, reminiscent of Sierra Nevada’s Bigfoot Barleywine. Alcohol is warming, but not present in the flavor. Awesome. The first of Stone’s beers that have impressed me in a big way.

acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2006 2005 bomber. Consumed 11/23/2005.
I found this to be quite similar to the DFH 90-minute IPA, though, for my money, I prefer the 90-minute. The 90-minute is dryer, with slightly more flavor and slightly less alcohol, which I prefer, at least in an ale.

ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 22, 2005
Surprisingly sweet and quite awesome aroma, loads of grapefruit, pineapple, and buttery caramel scents; doughy cookie and toffee maltiness followed by piney and earthy hops and raucous bitterness that lingers ’til morning; medicinal notes over a viscous body, alcohol dominates the finish; bitter as bitter can be, though some semblance of balance; wild beer, too wild.

2Row (11) - USA - NOV 19, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2006 Minimal head, dark amber color. Well balanced with an intial malty sweetness capped by a mild hoppy bite. The alchohol is well concealed. For all the boasting on it’s bottle it actually sets rather mildly on the palate. In fairness though the last beers I had were Samael and The Beast, so I may be a bit biased.

GuilTTy (733) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - NOV 19, 2005
Mildly hazy light garnet pour supporting a long lasting khaki head with tons of lacing. Powerful aroma of hops, citrus, caramel, some alcohol and a whiff of smoke. Impressive and surprisingly sweet malty flavor jumps out and is quickly surrounded by citrus, toffey, vanilla, toasted biscuits and port-like fruits all backed up by a solid hoppy bite. Very creamy mouthfeel and a long, flavorful and sweet finish. This isn’t available locally so I’m glad I took advantage of a recent California vacation to sample it.

Micro13Brew (12) - USA - NOV 18, 2005
I have had Arrogant Bastard and Enjoyed it so I figure Double Bastard should bring a little extra to the table unfortunately I was not overly impressed. It was good but not quite what I expected. The color was reddish brown which gave it a nice hue but I was expecting more unforgiving assault on my palate that didn’t happen.

iratherbe (255) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - NOV 15, 2005
Definitely a double bastard! Very much a mouthful. Strong alcohol content is much prevalent. Ruddy brackish brown in color. A touch of hop balance is ever so present. Taste of a bit of citrus / fruit, mostly heavy peat, grains of wood and malts. BE in the mood. I’ve enjoyed on a great sampling sipping day and I’ve choked it down when I didn’t ... "stay far, far away!"

biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - NOV 11, 2005
Clear red, creamy thin head. Very fruity aroma with some pineapple, melanoidin malt. Sweet, bitter and alcoholic but smooth and tasty. Reminds me of a bitter dopplebock.