overall
RATINGS: 2539   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 10, 2005
Pours deep reddish brown. Thin light brown head. Good lacing. Good looking beer. Very strong aroma, very complex, lots of dark fruits and a little wood. I even sense a little smoke. Flavor is really intense, fruity and figs. Very bitter and the alcohol is really apparent. Really warms as it goes down. Medium body, I would’ve thought it would’ve been a little thicker or oily. Bitter and fruity finish. Great brew.

fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 8, 2005
Almost no head. Reddish brown hue. Figgy caramel nose. Cheesey grapefruit hops mix with a lot of caramel malt. I like it except the finish is a little bitter for my taste.

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 7, 2005
UPDATED: APR 16, 2007 Thanks to kramer17801 for this 2004 bottle. The brew pours to a think khaki head that leaves lots of lacing. The body is a red garnet color. The aroma is very strong. Lots of dark fruits, oaken barrels, English walnuts, some sorta fruit jam. Almost like a really over the top brown ale that’s been barrel aged. The flavor seems to carry some Amarillo hops with lots of sweet components. Again, I detect lots of things that remind me of a brown ale, but a really over the top brown ale. Oaked walnuts, maple syrup, strong "strange" hops, sweetness. It’s like they made jam out of hops and walnuts. Perhaps a chutney? Anyway, this is pretty intense and still quite enjoyable. The palate well masks the 10% alcohol. I don’t "taste" it, but there is definitely a warming effect. Medium bodied yet really smooth and not very lingering. I liked the "regular" bastard a little better. Both are good brews.
Thanks to Chuck for sharing his 2004 bottle. I arrived at the final total of 4.2 of my previous rating without realizing I already rated this.
2003 vintage consumed on 4/15/2007. The beer pours to a very clean red-hued body with a bubbly tan head. Excellent lacing. The aroma is English toffee and nougat. Sweet sherry and nicely aged malt. The hops are still apparent. The flavor is much like the aroma and is full of nicely aged barley, sherry, nougat, and toffee. The palate is creamy, moderately full bodied, lightly bitter peanuts. 8, 4, 8, 4, 17

TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - NOV 4, 2005
Thanks to egajdzis. Pours a translucent red amber small off white lacing head. Aroma of dark fruits, alcohol, caramel and vanilla. Flavor is nice and creamy, roasted malts and nicely balanced by some great bitter hops.

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2006 [bomber] Pours a nice red-amber color, with a white head that sticks around for quite a while. A really beefed-up version of the standard Bastard: major hops, major malts and some subtle vanilla. The alcohol certainly has a greater presence in this brew. This is an excellent, strong brew.

weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 4, 2005
Thanks to egajdzis for this... Appears a dark amber with an ivory white head. Spotty lacing is left on the glass . Smell is of tons of malt, hops, along with some oaky vanilla going on. Taste is of the same aromas. Very nice and hard to put into words. All I know is that I like it. Mouthfeel is super smooth with a sweetness that comes through. This is awesome but some abv is evident and you’ll be able to tell.

adrian910ss (2581) - Doylestown, PA, USA - OCT 27, 2005
2004 22 oz bomber. Pours a amber brown color with a very thick creamy beige head. Aroma is very malty with hops prominent. Also smells like a freshly cut oak tree. Taste has that brandy feel to it. Powerful stuff. Very hoppy and malty with hints of nuts,caramel and vanilla. Slightly stronger and better than Arrogant Bastard.

Jeffsloane (10) - USA - OCT 26, 2005
Doesnt quite measure up to its cousin at any level except possibly appearance. Really the question you might be asking yourself is "why?". The it becomes glaringly obvious: 10% holy shit! So, while it doest taste as great as Arrogant bastard, this stuff can get you pretty f’d up.

ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Honestly the Arrogant Bastard is better. This is just a bit too much bastard for me. It really is a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate...but then again I guess thats the point. It’s still good for it’s complexity since it took me quite a while to figure it all out. So for that I must say it’s impressive. I’ll continue to be an arrogant bastard fan, but i’ll leave this for you big bastards out there.

Jdawgz (1) - USA - OCT 15, 2005 does not count
This is the best beer I’ve ever had. Let me qualify that: I’ve just started trying craft beers, but of the ten or so I’ve tried so far- Yes, a pretty small amount, but so what- This was truly an eye opener. I never had a beer that tasted as complex as the 10% alcohol Double Bastard, and it almost tasted like hard liquor to me, a brandy or close to it. I can’t quite describe all the flavors this brew boasted, and while it seemd like a ’big beer’ to me, I certainlyt noticed the alcohol, a warm fuzzy feeling almost after the first taste, anmd then heavy malt, many other flavors, but mostly a nice alkie heat. I’ll let y’all know more as my taste buds develop. I assume that’ll happen from some of the posts y’all leave, but now I can’t tell whether I’m tasting big old blackberries, or toasted somethings. I know I like it alot and that I’m about to stop drinking Baltica as my go to. This is certainly more expensive, but at 10% alkie, it translates pretty closely to the brews I’m used to. Thanks a bunch for putting me on to this kind of brew. I wouldn’t’a known about it unless y’all pointed me in the right direction. An’ I’m pretty trashed right about now. Much obliged.