overall
RATINGS: 2628   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: APR 23, 2011 3 qt 5.4 oz bottle (which is bloody huge). Pours stark ruby with a massive, persistent beige head that leaves thick, rocky lacing. The aroma contains hops, hops, hops, hops, and caramel malt. The flavor... wow. A plethora of robust caramel malt is awash in a veritable ocean of hops. As promised, this does assault the palate. Even after the swallow, it is as if the beer is still in my mouth for several minutes. This is brutal, in a good way. Wow. Just wow.

NachlamSie (3485) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2007 giant bottle. Pours ruby red with a solid tan head. The aroma is an assault of hops with a good malty foundation. Some pine and dry fruit notes also. On the first sip I learn that this is a palate destroyer. Huge robust hop taste, great caramel tones, some dry fruit notes. This is one aggressive beer indeed. It will be quite a chore to finish this 3 quart bottle, this is one gigantic beer. (Nov. 15, ’06) Split a bomber with Muenster. This is every bit as runious as I remember. It’s a giant beer with tons of biting hop attack with a flood of malt to balance things out. I detected a bit of candy apple in the finish with sweet biscuits and the aforementioned pine, citrus, caramel onslaught. Yeah, this one lives up to the smack-talk. [Dec 11, 2007] <------- of the ’07. Okay, I went into this one with expectations this time. Double Bastard’s sheer strength would not surprise me. This is a very good beer, it’s very bold and complex. The malts provide a familiar biscuity, caramel flavor, yet also divulge into the vinous, fruity, vanilla territory. Hops are fairly strong on this one. It’s a huge beer with a lot to offer, but in the end I can’t say I actually enjoy it any more than Arrogant Bastard. Of course, Arrogant Bastard itself is a delicious, well-crafted brew.

MikeMac (185) - Wyandotte, Michigan, USA - OCT 2, 2005
Finally got my hands on some! Pours dark brown with a ruby tint when held to light. Faint off whit to brown head that disappeared quickly. NIce carmel smell with mild cirtus raisins pine and hop aroma. Flavor had chocolate , molasses hop flavor , light cherry , and some vanilla flavors. very impressed with this brew! And the price makes it even better..

MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2005
Thanks goes out to IMTHEOPTIMATOR for sending me this baby! Double Bastard makes me feel like an unworthy heathen. I bow down and beg forgiveness! I want to be worthy! Pours dark amber body with a huge off white bubbly head. Aromas are pine trees, citrus, vanilla, massive hops and caramel. Taste is srtong pine, grapefruit, molasses, vanilla, wood, and lots of hop bitterness. Wow. I could drink this all the time. Great lingering cirtus flavour. Awesome!

bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 10, 2005
I smelled this for five minutes trying to disect it. A very complex aroma, some hint of chocolate, maybe even vanilla,but not much. Earthy, with hints of raisin. smells a little like whiskey. Strong tastes of chocolate and hops. very lightly sweet. Very smooth palate, all the way through with just a slight tingly feeling on the tongue.Soft carbonation, Oily-creamy texture, long finish, thick bodied and it leaves a warming feeling in the chest, due to the high alcohol content. It’s one of the better looking beers sitting in the glass that I’ve seen so far.Hazy dark brown with an amber red tint, with a thin beige-white head that laces the glass. My first Stone Brew. It packs a whallop! I think it’s a make or break beer due to how strong it is

nwbeer (3) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - SEP 8, 2005 does not count
This beer is great at any time, with food or not, with reason or not. It’s one of the Big Beautiful Beers of the beer world.

Hazmatt (363) - Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2006 Bottle. Oh Bastard! it’s so delectable. Dark brown, brown head, aroma is so involved it’s hard to describe...molasses, chocolate, caramel. Bold, aggressive brew. Heavy maltiness, alcohol warming, chocolate notes, somewhat creamy, highly hopped but well balanced and very complex. Man, I hope to have this on tap one day.

csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - SEP 3, 2005
Figured it was time to drink after holding for half a year (if not more). It’s late at night, I drank some cheap wine and had a smoke, but I feel confident to make a good rating. 22oz bottle, 2004 release. I think ClarkVV sent this too me in the "stone" trade where I got 6-7 of their beers. Poured into my NB worthy glass a shade over 52°. I can smell the malt already. The color is reddish orange, almost a light brown. The head is never impressive and dies down to nothing but a few bubbles quickly. when swirled, the beer just coat the glass. The smell is like a big ’ol west coast barleywine, a la SN Bigfoot. The aromas are of malt, caramel, biscuts, raisins, turbino sugar, and some spice. Really nice nose. The initial taste is huge, slighty sweet caramel with some hops begging to get in, when the hops invade, they put up an epic fight with the malt. This is a Stone beer and the hops win, but the malt put up a valiant fight. The hops are floral and spicy and a bit abrasive. There is a lingering bitterness. I am not sure, but the age might have helped this beer, was it formally a DIPA? The finish is the hops and some alcohol burn, it is not bad, but I fear what will happen when this beer gets another 10° warmer...This is a big, agressive beer and I can imagine many people hating it and many people loving it, I am not in either of those camps. It is a good beer, but maybe a touch hot and abrasive without the payout another hot beer, Rochefort 10 is giving me.

xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - AUG 21, 2005
Bottle. Dark brown in the glass with 1 minute head. Although I can tell that this ale is complex and Stone are great brewers, it aint my thing. It does deserve good ratings due to its nature however, but it wont get good ratings from my taste bud preferences. The commercial description is great marketing. Lots of strength in the nose and taste. Alchohol in both. Pine, malt, hint of raisin, bitter fruits and hops. I didn’t like the alchohol burn combined with these flavors, but I can think of several people who would LOVE it.

alobar (3793) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 20, 2005
Truly "Liquid Arrogance." Chocolately color with a creamy head. Caramel, chocolate, and pine aroma. Taste of caramel, pine hops, and spices. A wonderful combination. This is the first beer I’ve ever drank that sent me to the dictionary.