overall
RATINGS: 2554   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

Drinker101 (54) - East Ridge, Tennessee, USA - JUL 12, 2005
Very appealing beer. Nice head, smells of malts and the flavor is great. Highly recommended.

BT (127) - Westchester, Illinois, USA - JUL 8, 2005
Poured thick, dark amber-red, rich creamy head. Aroma of sweet malts, a bit of citrus. A bit stringent in the mouth, alcohol too. Pure hops all the way through the taste...no...wait...some uncharacteristic (and unrecognizable) sweet comes through as well. A difficult beer to have more than one at a time, but quite tasty.

0.8
LJBrewing (22) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 6, 2005
This is macho brewing gone amuck. The alcohol presence is overstated as well as the syrupy sweet linger that stays too long. Not hopped accordingly another Stone masterpiece for those so inclined. When will this trend in big poor tasting beers end. I wanted my money back after this joke of a brew

trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 6, 2005
The diatribe on this beer is a bit much, but Stone does deliver. Alcohol is everywhere in this beer. Very strong, but finishes somewhat sweet. Beginners should start with the Arrogant brew and work their way up. My liver is probably the only one happy that this only comes out around Thanksgiving.

GotBeer4Me (4) - USA - JUL 3, 2005 does not count
Amazing beer. Better than the Arrogant Bastard. But, it’s tough to drink a lot! Discovered that Red Dragong cheese (w/ ale, mustard & flavor) on a garlic was the only thing to hold up to Double Bastard. YUM!

8ballchaos (4) - schererville, Indiana, USA - JUN 30, 2005 does not count
My "numero uno" of the Stone family. Great taste and aroma. A bit overblown on the alcohol aftershock but well worth the effort. Don’t drink on an empty stomach.

beerbuzzmontreal (3486) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 27, 2005
Pours a beautifull murky ruby color with a thin offwhite head. Vinous aroma of fruits, caramel and candy. Excellent flavor of hops, fruits, caramel and candy with a bitter finish. Light to medium body, vinous and syrupy texture, soft carbonation. Excellent beer.

Bockyhorsey (2638) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JUN 22, 2005
This isn’t a beer for the average joe. Had a complex aroma of malty sweet caramel and hoppy fruit. Caramel flavor somewhat and that is left on palate. Body is caramel color with small cream color head. Good Lacing left on glass. Some setement found in bottom of empty glass of this alcohol indused liquid. But this is for that nightcap if your not going anywhere and are at home. Alcohol presence is everywhere in this brew. In the aroma, flavor and palate. So if alcohol octane is your kind of beer suggest you go out and buy that monster bootle you can find at a decent liqour store and get drunk.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JUN 20, 2005
Bottle. Poured a deep reddish amber. I shared this with my 2 brothers-in-law. They of the fledgling beer taste buds. They commented on the body of the brew, and how thick and long lasting the head was. Wow, the exclaimed on the nose, what is this?? I smell something? I told them that was the malts and to waft it slowly, to really grab the complex notes. I smell pine or grapefruit, Ah, those are the hops I told them. Now for the taste. Taste like, like, Caramel I helped. And maybe chocolate they added. They picked up some fruit and spice, maybe pepper. Hints of smoke or maybe candy. And, from bud drinkers, that kick was the hops. I am not sure they truly grabbed this one, but I KNOW they will enjoy telling everyone they drank a Double bastard.

Cornfield (5569) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JUN 19, 2005
I was surprised. The first time I’d tried the Arrogant one, I should have learned my lesson. It was a good solid drink, but no Killer Brew. The same with the other Stone drinks that I’ve tried to date. . . Excellent even, but definitely overhyped. So here I sit with my first Double Bastard. My aging eyes prevent me from reading all the small-printed bottle Blarney, so I’ll content myself with the drinking. It’s a handsome ale, a dark copper with a hefty, off-white fizzy head. (I wish it’d visited longer.) The aroma is an overwhelmingly strong caramel malt. There’s a heap of add-ons, but that’s the base. Along for the ride are the usual SB northwestern hops (the emphasis on the herbal and pine), a dried fruit aroma, perhaps some pomes... but it’s mainly sweet barley malt. It’s quite smooth to the palate, although it’s almost chewy at the start of the drink. The flavor resounds with caramel and toffee maltiness, a hint of smoke, a suggestion of yeasty fruitiness, a dash of hot pepper, and a slight taste of alcohol. Very, very good. It finishes bitterly, despite the sweet malts that persist in lingering. When they leave, the alcohol remains on the tongue. I definitely want more of this.