overall
RATINGS: 2626   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Deep copper and crimson, thick off white head. Rich and complex nose of brown sugar, pine, citrus, caramel, light cherry, with a slight hint of apricot. Flavor is similar with a huge malty bitter sweetness up front, followed up with a big hop blast to ensure balance. Full bodied, light carbonation, fading away bitter-sweet drying finish. This is one intense brew that makes the standard AB look like a baby bastard.....

aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Huge joy of a beer to behold. wonderful hop and fruit nose with a very warming and full mouthfeel. Figs and plums dance with the big hop presencemaking your tongue wonder which way to go next.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 1, 2005
Lovely malt fruit Belgian Ale aroma, rich smooth malt raisin, fig tasteand a warming presence of alcohol on the way down. A first rate production

barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - FEB 25, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2008 had this on tap at Tyler’s in Durham last Friday evening 9/19/08. was told it was the 2006 DB from the Stone release party a couple of days ago. since my original rating, I’ve had several bottles and have grown to really enjoy this beer. this was my first DB on tap and WOW, beer experiences don’t get much better!

bomber from Saarlander. a rich orange-amber color with a small fizzy head. malty, hoppy flavor with a dry somewhat bitter finish. not my favorite style but a very good all around brew. it kind of grows on you and gets better as it warms a bit. Thanks Aaron!

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 25, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2006 On tap at d.b.a., dark bronze, aroma of orange rind and alcohol, strong malt and bitter hops, but (precariously) balanced, palate a little harsh but stimulating, obviously warming.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 24, 2005
I feel bad to be the one to give this a relatively low rating but I think everyone here must be rating this stuff after drinking a pint on an empty stomach. I don’t mind high abv beers at all in fact I prefer them, but at least mask it a little bit. OK, take a pint of Arrogant Bastard Ale now add a shot of vodka, now you’ve got Double Bastard Ale. One thing I can say for it is that the appearance and mouthfeel are perfect. Nice frothy head and lacing all over but seriously, I had a cut on my lip and this burnt the hell out of it while drinking, why not sip Makers Mark?

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 16, 2005
2004 bottle. Familiar dark orange pour, just a little darker than regular bastard (that just sounds weird). Similar incredibly inviting, far away from your glass aroma, only sweeter and stronger. Great strong malty and hoppy in your face American beer. "The definition of a massive beer" - jercraigs. Somehow this remains balanced through the whole process, start to finish. Very similar to regular bastard, just stronger as you would hope and expect. I’m not one to give in to the hype, but I really enjoyed this one - fantastic. Thanks for my last rating in a while jercraigs - this whole giving up alcohol for lent thing is tolerable because of this experience a few weeks ago.

axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2005
Pours dark amber/brown with a foamy tan head. The aroma is oranges with peels and grapefruit. Nice bitter fruit start with grapefruit and carmel flavor with a bitter hop finish. Very full bodied. Great stuff!!

BeerandBlues2 (13202) - Escondido, California, USA - FEB 14, 2005
Happy birthday to me! 2004 Vintage 22-oz. bottle. Pours coppery nut brown, very clean with a tall frothy brown head, like caramalized butter. Wonderful roasted malt aroma with caramel and nuts with an alcohol nose. The flavor is a warming caramel malt and faibtly oats. It finishes hoppy with an alcohol bite that tries to steal your breath. Full-bodied and warm palate with a slight metallic nouthfeel.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - FEB 12, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 5, 2006 2003, bottle. Pours a dark copper color with a nice glass coating light tan creamy looking head. Toffee, piney, floral hops, and nice malty aromas in the nose. The sweet malts are really coming through...I guess after two years in the bottle I should expect that. I sense the alcohol as this warms in the glasss. My wife sipped it and couldn’t decide whether it was I2PA or barley wine. Either way....I love it. Taste yields more hops on top of the alcohol flavor followed by sweet malts. If the state of FL finds out I’m bringing this into the state I’m busted for sure. The finish is alcohol all over the place---phenol, ester, fusel--plus an appropriate amount of bitter hops. Strong ale? Barley wine? I2PA....I’m not sure, but no matter what your call is I’d say you’ll find it to be excellent. Thanks Cornboy!!!