overall
RATINGS: 2539   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

sdcourtney (60) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2004
2004 Release. Nice fruity aroma, different from the usual dark fruit - more of a subtle peach or grape. Reddish ruby-brown with small bubbles and nice creamy head. Intense malt flavor balanced with lots of hop bitterness. A character that is ’round’, - malt wraps around the bitterness, which stays around in the back of your mouth until it slowly fades away. Nice creamy body that is moderate to full, more ’roundness’ abounds. Alcohol is evident bit well hidden by the malt intensity. Unique blend of fruity, malty, bitterness - this beer will kick your a$$ - and you WILL like the kickin’...

shadey (2140) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2004 Beautiful ruby red color with a thin film of a head. A strong mix of hops and malt in a well balanced mix. This is far better than the normal Arrogant Bastard. I won’t rate this as highly as others, because it just didn’t make me want to go back for more. It just wasn’t that appealing.

Gachupines (1252) - USA - DEC 10, 2004
Definitely a stronger version of Arrogant Bastard. More hops along with a stronger malt backbone than I remember in regular Bastard. Leaves a nice lingering taste. Strong but more balanced than I would have thought.

FROTHINGSLOSH (7901) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 8, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2012 Sampled from an amusing 22 oz bottle this beer poured a dark ruby-mahogany color with a small tan head. The aroma was sweet grapefruit. The flavor is strong, thick and sweet with a definite grapefruity hop character. The light sweet malt gives a pleasant balance to the brew. The hoppiness lingers intrusively on the tongue and begs for another gulp. Yum.

skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - DEC 8, 2004
Strangely I *am* worthy on this one. I’m not sure why overdoing an already overdone beer is a good thing - it just is! The sweetness is more evident here, the alcohol hides behind the kitchen sink (which is included here). Just enough vinous characteristic, just enough brown sugar. My palate is left saying "thank you sir, may I have another".

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - DEC 6, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2005 Poured a mostly-clear mahogany with an off-white head that left a very attractive film on the beer. The never-fading aroma is a magnificent mix of sweet fruit and a malty spiciness. Taste starts off with a malty sweetness with a mildly vinous character, fading into an intense hop bitterness that dominates the palate. The alcohol is virtually undetectable in the beer, but makes its presence known as it warms the stomach. The buzz from this stuff is nothing short of incredible. All-around a magnificent beer. Every possible detail that I enjoy in beer has been thrown into one marvelous package and amplified. I hereby raise my trappist glass to Stone Brewing!

Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Dude, all I can say is, "Gnarly." This beer is pissed, and loves it. So do I; it is sweet, hopped all to Hell, highly alcoholic, and is dark as a stormy sky at twilight. If you love hops and aggression, this is your beer.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - DEC 5, 2004
UPDATED: APR 14, 2005 Disregard anything negative regarding ’Arrogant Bastard.’ I hated the aforementioned; I love this stuff. Much more drinkable than its predecessor. Sweet, malty, and hoppy with a strong bite of alcohol in the finish. Palate is deceptively thick, but scrumdiddlyumptious. Highly reccommended.

AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 4, 2004
2004 Release: Pours light brown/red with tan head. Immediately smell citrusy hops, sweet malt and lots of it without bringing my nose close to the glass... my mouth waters. Body is thick but smooth. Flavor is so rich yet so balanced. Nice and bitter but also perfectly sweet. Warms the belly nicely but the alcohol doesn’t overwhelm the flavor. I’m in heaven and this beer is my nectar. This beer has a lot of everything but in just the right proportions. I’m going back tomorrow to buy a case (or two?) I’m going to venture to say that this is probably my favorite beer of all time. Wow, I’m simply awestruck here. Props out to stone- they never cease to amaze me.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Am I worthy? Is this ale? 2004 bottling. Clear reddish body, sparse rising carbonation, small light-tan head receding quickly, sweet nose. Lots of brown sugar, bitter but not excessively so. The bitterness lingers for a while. Alcohol well-hidden. Not worthy of the high price I paid for one bomber ($6.99).