overall
RATINGS: 2620   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. Course theres always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Padron4KM (809) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2007 2004 bottle Pours a beautiful orangey red, with a small reddish tan head that dissipates quickly. spotty lace left behind
Aroma is sweet fruits and flowery hops.
flavor is sweet, creamy then grapefruity, then sweet candied fruit, then citrusy, ending with a ruby red grapefruit with a spoonful of sugar finish.
The kind of taste that leaves your tongue tingling and your lips smacking for more.
alcohol is well hidden.
That is until you finish the bottle.
05 version sampled in 07. aroma is loaded with caramel and fruit. Hops are still evident in the flavor, balanced by sweet malt and subtle fruitiness. Long grapefruit finish still intact. This baby has really held up well. Wish I had more because I dont think it is anywhere near its peak.

07 version is a little less assertive in the beginning, but after it warms for a bit the hops really shine. ABV is extremely well hidden yet again. I have a case this year, so I should be able to cellar a some. Orig. 8-4-8-4--18

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 5, 2004
2004 bottle: A dark brown body with a huge, fluffy tan head. Aroma is huge: fresh hops, sweet fruit, and alcohol. Flavor is slightly sweet, followed by an awesome, dominating, bitter kick and finishes dry. I will have to stock up on this one while it is available.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 20, 2004
What a lovely and luxiourious beer. The aroma sets the bar VERY high. It Hoppy, a little flowery, and slight undertones of malt and alcohol. This beer is much more full bodied and round than its little brother. It does not really have the spikey upfrontness as a regular bastard. ;) But this is because it is just all things wrapped up in one drink. FAR more strong booze wise than it tastes. ;) Unlike ABA, it is more equally balanced between malts and hops, with malts getting the edge slightly. This is a hard beer for me to describe since it is able to be ALL things except weak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
785pro (10) - California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
This is by far my favorite Ale to come out of Stone Brewing. Very sweet, and hoppsy. I love the ruby red/brown color. Excellent ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
marcus (10048) - Sacramento, California, USA - OCT 14, 2004
I had heard so many good things about this beer that I saved it for a few months to drink on my birthday. That was a good decision, since it turned out to be one of the best beer drinking bouts in my long life. Talk about flavor: malt, hops, alcohol, sweetness, fruitiness - this beer has it all, blended together artfully. Afterwards, I took a happy, dizzy nap and woke up ready for another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: APR 15, 2005 The Double Bastard poured a clear ruby brown with a generous head floating on the top. The nose was full of rich tropical hops and a very high malt presence. The flavors of this beer were what I had come to expect from any Stone brew: extreamly complex and an assault on the palate. Flavors of all kinds of fruits, huge hops, and a malt sweetness that balanced so well together. This is a huge beer. Big Malt, Big Hops and the alcohol is very evident and warming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rentalman (103) - British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 29, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2004 (Draft) This beer is worth driving to the USA for. Like the other Stone beers I have sampled this beer was no multinational lager drinkers swill. The people at stone have an agressive eye for the unusual. A touch more hops and it would be even better i think.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
redave (166) - squaw valley, California, USA - SEP 18, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2007 Havent had this for several years or so, back then i wasnt quite so enamored with it. Not that i didnt like it, i guess i felt if it was double then i was expecting to be blown away with over powering intensive flavors, and if i remember right, i was surprised that it seem mellow in comparison to single bastard. Fast forward to today... 2006 release. [after several years of double IPA, and other massive ales, Ive learned that double doesnt mean approaching painful, in fact many double IPAs are in some ways more mellow that regular IPAs, the extra malt seems to smooth out some of the edges... same for this] Pours a similar color to single bastard. dark brown amber, more dense, if not exactly cloudy, nice thick creamy head. sticky lace all the way down. Aroma nice but not intense, some sweet maltiness, with some spices. Taste, a full flavored beer, when you let the flavors swirl around in your mouth the complexity of many flavors is what attracts me to these bigger ales. an earthy like flavor [a totally good way] hops complex malts good stuff! [ serving type: bottle ]

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
smahtnicole (15) - boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 15, 2004
This ale made my stomach hurt and my nose run. I had to literally choke back every gulp, the promise of CheeseNips the only thing that got me through. Yet I have never, never never never, been so insulted by a beer in my life as I was by the Double Bastard. I could not live with myself if I did not finish this atrociously horrendous beer: Im no goddamned pussy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 15, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2004 enjoyed with the lovely SmahtNicole. my stomach hurts. i am in pain. and yet i feel triumphant. why the low flavor rating and yet the high impression rating? because for better or WORSE no beer has so deeply made an impression. i was taunted and ridiculed by the label for cringing at my first sip. i felt it was necessay, nay, a matter of PRIDE that i finish this pint of satanic brew. and damn, am i buzzed. so touche Double Bastard... i see your bet... and i raise you two brave Bitches.