overall
RATINGS: 2627   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 20, 2004
What a lovely and luxiourious beer. The aroma sets the bar VERY high. It Hoppy, a little flowery, and slight undertones of malt and alcohol. This beer is much more full bodied and round than it’s little brother. It does not really have the spikey upfrontness as a regular bastard. ;) But this is because it is just all things wrapped up in one drink. FAR more strong booze wise than it tastes. ;) Unlike ABA, it is more equally balanced between malts and hops, with malts getting the edge slightly. This is a hard beer for me to describe since it is able to be ALL things except weak.

785pro (10) - California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
This is by far my favorite Ale to come out of Stone Brewing. Very sweet, and hoppsy. I love the ruby red/brown color. Excellent ale.

marcus (10222) - Sacramento, California, USA - OCT 14, 2004
I had heard so many good things about this beer that I saved it for a few months to drink on my birthday. That was a good decision, since it turned out to be one of the best beer drinking bouts in my long life. Talk about flavor: malt, hops, alcohol, sweetness, fruitiness - this beer has it all, blended together artfully. Afterwards, I took a happy, dizzy nap and woke up ready for another.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: APR 15, 2005 The Double Bastard poured a clear ruby brown with a generous head floating on the top. The nose was full of rich tropical hops and a very high malt presence. The flavors of this beer were what I had come to expect from any Stone brew: extreamly complex and an assault on the palate. Flavors of all kinds of fruits, huge hops, and a malt sweetness that balanced so well together. This is a huge beer. Big Malt, Big Hops and the alcohol is very evident and warming.

Rentalman (103) - British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 29, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2004 (Draft) This beer is worth driving to the USA for. Like the other Stone beers I have sampled this beer was no multinational lager drinkers swill. The people at stone have an agressive eye for the unusual. A touch more hops and it would be even better i think.

redave (166) - squaw valley, California, USA - SEP 18, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2007 Haven’t had this for several years or so, back then i wasn’t quite so enamored with it. Not that i didn’t like it, i guess i felt if it was double then i was expecting to be blown away with over powering intensive flavors, and if i remember right, i was surprised that it seem mellow in comparison to single bastard. Fast forward to today... 2006 release. [after several years of double IPA, and other massive ales, I’ve learned that double doesn’t mean approaching painful, in fact many double IPA’s are in some ways more mellow that regular IPA’s, the extra malt seems to smooth out some of the edges... same for this] Pours a similar color to single bastard. dark brown amber, more dense, if not exactly cloudy, nice thick creamy head. sticky lace all the way down. Aroma nice but not intense, some sweet maltiness, with some spices. Taste, a full flavored beer, when you let the flavors swirl around in your mouth the complexity of many flavors is what attracts me to these bigger ales. an earthy like flavor [a totally good way] hops complex malts good stuff! [ serving type: bottle ]

smahtnicole (15) - boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 15, 2004
This ale made my stomach hurt and my nose run. I had to literally choke back every gulp, the promise of CheeseNips the only thing that got me through. Yet I have never, never never never, been so insulted by a beer in my life as I was by the Double Bastard. I could not live with myself if I did not finish this atrociously horrendous beer: I’m no goddamned pussy.

GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 15, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2004 enjoyed with the lovely SmahtNicole. my stomach hurts. i am in pain. and yet i feel triumphant. why the low flavor rating and yet the high impression rating? because for better or WORSE no beer has so deeply made an impression. i was taunted and ridiculed by the label for cringing at my first sip. i felt it was necessay, nay, a matter of PRIDE that i finish this pint of satanic brew. and damn, am i buzzed. so touche Double Bastard... i see your bet... and i raise you two brave Bitches.

DocLock (10683) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 13, 2004
A huge thanks to belgianhomebrew for this one. First of all, the label writeup on this one is hilarious. Classic ripping on the Pete Coors and Augie Busch supporters of the world. Pours turbid diarrhea color (the color was almost as brown as the bottle) with medium off-white head which rapidly dissipates (which is to be expected with a beer of this ABV). Aroma of huge dark fruit, malt, hops, port, and cognac. Tastes hugely malty and dark fruity, with port, cognac, and scotch hints. Palate is dense, firm, and assertive. Finishes dark fruity and slightly dry, with well hidden alcohol, but the alcohol does appear as it warms. This is to beers as Mike Tyson is to boxers, although this beer is far more intelligent.....

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
Appearance: beautiful bright crimson coloring, with a big, solid, creamy head standing on top. Aroma: rich, fruity, and burnt. Feels like a turbo-charged Young’s Old Nick , it does! Fruit+liquorX 100! Spicy, sweet, and strong! But, to drink! Mellow, on the tongue and tastebuds, at first, but soon sizzling with hops, flavor & booze, sweet boooze! Boom! Bam! Biff, bang, Pow!!! There is no relief, nor should one seek any, from this hoppy, malty onslaught!!! DAMN! I can’t think of a tastier ale with this much strength, anywhere! The Double Bastard has seriously laid me to waste! Rich and delicious, and full and fruity and strong and BOOM!, SCHMANG! SCHWOOP!!! (As you see, I’ve had to invent new sound effects for the occasion) I’ve been wallopped but good!, and I like it! Damn, I like every little wicked thing this beer does to me! It’s a MONSTER!!! There’s no relief, no respite, no nothing, just the full-on fruity, hoppy explosion that is this BastardX2!!! How does it compare to my favorite, Bell’s Third Coast Old Ale? No, I’m not in the mood, or inclination. We’ll just judge it on it’s own and say that was one hell of a trombone solo! Strong, sweet, burnt, but still, somehow delicious, that’s the thing!