overall
RATINGS: 2627   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 24, 2009
Pours a medium to dark golden brown color. Three-finger head of light tan foam. Great retention and sticky, clumpy lacing. Not a whole lot in the smell department. Light hints of sweet malts and some floral and citrus hops notes. Light caramel presence, but mostly hops. Hey, what do you know? A beer from Stone that’s actually getting close to being balanced. The hops still dominate, as usual, but it’s closer. This has an underlying sweet malty profile that, for once, is actually putting up a good effort to get noticed. Mild caramel and sweet malt taste. Pine and grapefruit notes. Slight bitterness. Not nearly as harsh as Arrogant Bastard. Smooth and basically creamy. Just a slight touch of sharpness. Nice lower medium level of carbonation. I have to say that, being from Stone (who I actually like, despite how it may sound), this is a pretty darn drinkable beer. I find most of their brews to be way out of balance, but this one goes down pretty smooth. At this point in time, this would be my ’go-to’ beer from Stone.

BeerBoxer (232) - Sacramento, USA - FEB 15, 2011
Pours amber with a medium head. Has a fruity bannana aroma with a semi sweet burnt caramel taste that finishes bitter with a dry pallet..

kenwall17 (232) - new york, New York, USA - MAR 18, 2011
EVIL + EVIL = Double Bastard. Ok, back to reality. A very nice rendition of a ASA. The alcohol is palatable as well as the hops, not for lightweights.

mieszal92 (232) - Gliwice, POLAND - JUN 2, 2017
Bottle. Pours with perfect head, some sedimentary particles floating in, I forgive. Quintessence of delicate, affordable caramel. Honey, delicate note of baltic porter, vanila, coconut, little alcohol. Mouth and palate: dense, oily, average carbonation, vulgar alcohol. Good, but not worthy these 50-sth zł. in Poland.

CarlJonas (231) - Linköping, SWEDEN - OCT 26, 2013
Cloudy copper, off white head, drapes. Grapefruit, booze, milk chocolate? Heavy bitter, lots of booze, some toffee,long bitter aftertaste. Medium carbonation, rich mouthfeel. It definitely packs quite a punch.

gwfrankpsu (231) - McKinleyville, California, USA - FEB 1, 2002
Wow! This is a great beer, how do they keep making these wonderful beers? Can’t wait to get back to Nocal - I have one in the cellar and one day I’m going to invite a bunch of friends (I’m working in Maine, God) and allow them a taste and then finish it myself. This is meant to be shared.

leeburg (230) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - DEC 25, 2012
Dark amber with a spongy off-white head. Aroma is heavy malt and huge hop notes. Floral, metallic, strongly citrusy. Flavor is initially rich with malty sweetness but then dives into the longest, bitterest hop profile finish I think I’ve ever tasted. Lives up to its name I think.

666seth (229) - California, USA - JAN 10, 2003
Though one! Deep amber in color, strong malty aroma with a bitter hoppy sweet malty flavor. Though you can taste the alcohol it doesn’t distract too much

Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - SEP 1, 2004
Deep ruby red in colour topped by a medium thick head with intricate lacing left on the glass. Aroma is malty and fruity with good strong hoppy accents. Flavor is full and complex. Caramel, brown sugar, molasses, grapefruit, pine, pepper and tons of in your face biiterness. Not for the weak or faint of heart.

TLNash886 (228) - Idaho, USA - NOV 18, 2009
Oh joy, I’ve finally found the time to post! My journal needs some online alleviation. For my first post, we’ll start with this exceptional brew. When the 09 DB came to my favorite beer shop, I decided to buy an 08 vintage as well and do a side-by-side. The 08 poured mahogany with a light tan head into a snifter. On the nose I smelled a rich barley wine (love that smell); toffee, malty, slight raisony wonder. Taste mimicked the aroma. Fantastic upfront taste of toffee with a slight lasting bitterness, a little odd, but not unwelcome raisin/pineapple taste detectable, fairly nice balance of sweet and bitter. Finishes rather bitterly with some nice warming alcohol present at the back of the throat. This brew warms exceptionally well; hop bitterness fades, replaced by more alcohol and toffee sweetness. Marvelous finish. The 09 poured the same as the 08. As can be expected, this did not live up to its predecessor. More of a candied sugar aroma with a hoppy presence. The taste holds with the aroma; more pure sweetness than rich toffee, more prevalent hops (probably due to the lack of sweetness with age compared to the 08). This was more or less a weaker version of its predecessor. Still damn fine, but I firmly believe this brew should be aged a while. The 08 was astounding, I did my rating on that vintage.