overall
RATINGS: 2627   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%, 2016 - 11%.

herbsmoker99 (11) - Lakeside, California, USA - NOV 8, 2002
best beer i’ve ever had!!!!!!!!

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - NOV 30, 2003
Wowee, wow, wow, what a fantastic beer! The beer Gods from Stone have bestowed this upon us for a reason, because to know heaven you must pass through hell! This is pure pleasure and make no mistake you will pay by nights end. Pours a deep firey tawny amber brown, settles a bit darker in the chalice glowing of newly created lava from the earths crust as it procedes to grow a tall, firmly thickened, whipped froth of tannish wonder. Fades ever so slowly like a dieing fire to a thin ring and a hazy skim across the liquid leaving massive sticking amounts of webby laced sheets. Aroma appears stronger then smoke, more like heat from an oven with mounting sweet caramel, lightly burnt, earthy crispness of deep woods pineyness. Malts are king in this world, ruling with a mighty pitch fork that pokes at the hops as if to say "Ha, ha... Try to take my throne you measly weed". Taste is where it leads you down the path of whats about to become a head full of everything thats tempting. Complexing malts are forest fire big, tons of great semi sweet caramel, thick and thicker yet, flowing in and out of scorched and deeply ripe dark fruityness, pineapple, mango, plum, and raisins bursting within with a light burntness touching everything. Its calmingly smooth and far to creamy for such a fire to burn, but yet it does, and it builds with a wind of hops thats burning up brush of small dwindling pine, dried leaves, and wood. Incredibly balanced bitterness is deep and crackly over the musculature of the big boned skeleton of malts. Alcohol never makes its presense felt til it finds its way to the head where it smokes out any notions of all before it. You remember liking this thing you enjoyed the next day but are now lurking around like a zombie wondering how in the hell did I survive such a dance with the flames of a devil. F*cking great stuff!! Can't wait to dance again with this dark nectar, but not any time soon, as not to become a devils second hand. I hopefully have learned my lesson. Why did they have to put this in a bomber? Much like a devil its always tempting you to take more.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 30, 2003
Only my second perfect beer! (The other being Three Floyd's Alpha King Pale Ale). And I just see now that I am the 2nd consecutive ratebeerian to give Double Bastard a perfect score, following my fellow Minnesotan, beermatrix. I have Kinz to thank for sending this doosy via trade! Floral and hoppy aroma. Thick, reddish body with small, light tan head with good retention. Cloudy reddish yellow when held up to light. Although classified as an American Strong Ale, this could pass for a Barley Wine. So good that the 10% ABV is not all that noticeable. Very smooth. I hate to bring up this comparison because of its negative connotations, but the Double Bastard has some cough syrup qualities. Make no mistake, however, this is nothing unpleasant about this beer. It is pure euphoria in a bottle.

joker3119 (2) - Oceanside, California, USA - MAR 8, 2004 does not count
I enjoyed the full bodied flavor that extended the abilities of my palate to try to hang on to the top of my tounge... and watching the less experienced try to handle the enormous flavor

AlphaOmega (8) - USA - SEP 3, 2004 does not count
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2004 RateBeer? I don’t get it. Shouldn’t it be called RateAle? Does Stone Brew make beer now? That would be an absolute travisty. Anyhow... I was looking at how some of the "wussies" describe Double Bastard... like it’s some kind of cheap wine. Check it out. I’ve been drinking Double Bastard since 2000. There is nothing "fruity" or "sweet" about it. It taste like it was filtered through a really old sock and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Double Bastard [email protected] ROCKS! There is no way to really describe it. You must try it or you won’t have a clue. I must say... if you don’t like it it’s only because your wussy tastebuds can’t handle it. Go grab a bottle of "light" beer and cleanse your pallet you wuss! You’re not worthy!

garrison (812) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - NOV 17, 2004
From a 22 ounce bottle - This is a perfect beer... it poured a dark mahogeny color with a low, fine tan head and an exileratingly spicy boquet. With a full, round mouthfeel and a lasting, complex palate. Damn it, this was worth the $4.99 a bottle price!

AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 4, 2004
2004 Release: Pours light brown/red with tan head. Immediately smell citrusy hops, sweet malt and lots of it without bringing my nose close to the glass... my mouth waters. Body is thick but smooth. Flavor is so rich yet so balanced. Nice and bitter but also perfectly sweet. Warms the belly nicely but the alcohol doesn’t overwhelm the flavor. I’m in heaven and this beer is my nectar. This beer has a lot of everything but in just the right proportions. I’m going back tomorrow to buy a case (or two?) I’m going to venture to say that this is probably my favorite beer of all time. Wow, I’m simply awestruck here. Props out to stone- they never cease to amaze me.

thefatmanrocks (22) - California, USA - JAN 11, 2005
I LOVE THIS BEER. Forget a review...listen to this. The bay area (S.F.) had a shortage. I wanted this so bad this year. Every Bev and Mo. was sold out. Stone gave me the distributer’s number, but he was sold out. every store on his list was sold out. So i called Beer of the month...Son of a gun...they had plenty. They shipped up 6. I paid the $10+ shipping and got ripped. It was a happy day

ghett0yeti (29) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 10, 2005
UPDATED: APR 7, 2005 This is by far the best tasting thing I have ever had the pleasure of putting in my gullet, and I’ve eaten spoonfuls of mayonnaise.

Sregnar35 (1030) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2005
This may be the finest liquid ever crafted by the hand of man. I want a beer that kicks me in the face and then pee’s on me while I’m picking up my teeth, this is that brew. Hops, malt, alcohol all on overload, gotta love it.