overall
Brewed by Brasserie Dupont
Style: Abbey Tripel
Tourpes-Leuze, Belgium

RATINGS: 1786   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Bons Vœux (Good Wishes) is a blond high fermentation beer , re-fermented in the bottle. Founded in 1970 , this beer was offered earlier this year to the most loyal customers of our brewery ( hence the name "With the best wishes of the brewery Dupont "). The success this beer earned lead to it being made commercially, while retaining its original name. Although very popular, it was brewed in limited quantities, the bottles reserved many months in advance. A coppery blond beer with aromas of hops for the Bon Voeux is a beer tasting combining mellow bitterness and fruity. Our selection of yeasts and a long maturation phase with hopping gives it flavor and a characteristic and complex taste. The true fermentation in the bottle , which can be extended very long in your cellar, resulting in a balanced and harmonious beer, surprising and complex aromas .

kevd193213 (992) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - AUG 29, 2009
750 mL bottle. Golden, slightly cloudy pour with a thick eggshell white head. Lots of carbonation. Aroma of pepper and yeast with that familiar barnyard presence. Great taste of bready yeast, sharp apples with a lingering finish.

trevor211 (1681) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 27, 2009
Finally got around to trying a bottle of this, and I’m glad I did. Pours a light, cloudy honey amber with a large, off-white head. Extremely effervescent - drinks like a full-bodied champagne. The aroma and flavor are very bready and earthy (grassy), with some citrus rind, honey, and a bit of tart apple. Extremely dry, with a lingering bitterness. This is really nice.

Pailhead (6543) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - AUG 19, 2009
Bottle: The aroma consists of yeast, floral notes, and faint lemon tartness. It pours a cloudy orange with lots of sediment and a large white head with great retention that leaves behind some clumps of lacing. The flavor starts with some sweet citrus notes and yeast. There is a faint lemon tartness in the background. The finish is lightly spicy with a hint of pepper and grass. Medium bodied with moderate soft carbonation.

paiste2002 (186) - Saugus, California, USA - AUG 18, 2009
750ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice off white head leaving behind some nice lacework. Aroma is musty, funky, spice, grass and bready. Flavor is spicy, black pepper, earthy, funky, green apple, bready, a touch of yeastiness, with some honey and orange peel in the finish. This is a wonderful beer that I’ll look forward to each year at the holidays.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2009
The Dupont Brasserie of Tourpes, Belgium is most renowned for their Saison Dupont, a Farmhouse Ale of epic proportions. Arguably the best Saison available in the world, I find that I cannot argue with that widely shared opinion, amateur and professional, for I myself also agree. The Dupont Brasserie also brews a few other year-round beers beside their traditional Saison, and that includes a yearly Christmas release called the Avec Les Bons Voeux.

She pours rather thick with a soft, hazy golden hue billowing into a creamy soft white head which shrinks slowly into randomly scattered pockets of bubbles. As I swirl her contents, she leaves both lace and a faint trace of tears along the sides of my glass, a testament to her thicker body. An orchard of oranges, mango, and honey greets my nose; and I’m talking fresh, real honey, not the over-processed artificially sweet store-bought kind. Anyone who has supped and savored fresh honey right off the honeycomb knows exactly what I am talking about. A soft background of hay and supple leather gives her a rightful earthy quality while more oranges and some tangerines keep her nose fresh. Floral notes add to the blooming orchard essence while herbs and some peppery spices add a little excitement and daring to her journey. One last aromatic embrace of rubber, leather, and dry earth draws me into her wet embrace. Effervescent and frothy with a rich, thicker and heavier palate in comparison to her year-round older sister. To clarify, the Avec Les Bons Voeux is still considered a Saison, but she is a heartier version of what is traditionally a sessionable brew. she is very bright on top of my tongue where the freshly plucked sweetness of honey, orange, and mango dance followed quickly by her next number which features a more earthy ballet of leather, dry earth and wood which lingers in a long, clean finish. Bright and sparkling, we laugh together as her sweet nature frolics with dry herbs, grass, and more earth as wisps of coriander and citric rinds whisper. Her dry finish compliments her body perfectly, keeping an excellent balance between sipping and quaffing as one would a standard Saison. As we spend more time together, she grows a deeper, muskier nature with more barnyard notes and a burgeoning presence of tart funk. Refreshing, to say the least. I can see how the Avec Les Bons Voeux from the Dupont Brasserie is going to be one of my yearly holiday traditions.

I’m not surprised in the least that she wowed and dazzled and wooed me to pieces. I expected nothing less from the Dupont Brasserie, and I look forward to seeing how the 2009 batch will hold true and diverge all at the same time. Just as every batch is Saison Dupont is a wee bit different, so too is the Avec Les Bons Voeux. I am thrilled I was able to savor a bottle this year, and look forward to next years, and maybe a mini lateral.

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2009
Golden orange color with huge white head, that keeps growing. Dusty aroma of grass, pale malt. Earthy, lightly sweet flavor with a bit of sourness. Effervescent mouthfeel with nice carbonation, very dry finish.

09maso3 (72) - vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 1, 2009
2006 bottle. golden with a creamy white head. aroma is winey sweet and estery. flavour is sweet and fruity with the classic belgian funkiness. not too light. a good refreshing beer with enough flavour to keep you interested. does not live up to the hype however...

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 30, 2009
My first pour was golden orange and similar to Saison DuPont. It smells very musty, grassy, and some mustard seed (?). The taste is peppery with orange peel zestiness, perfect mouthfeel, very nice, easy to drink Saison for a cold Colorado winter, can’t find the alcohol but I’m sure it’ll rear its ugly head once I black out. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 12-28-2007 02:19:47

oteyj (2138) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 25, 2009
Hazy peach with lots of sediment and a two finger white head. Aroma is citrus, spice, dough and a hint of alcohol. Flavoris quite citrus oriented- spicy and bready with mild to medium yeast presence and a dry orange peel finish. Palate is medium with a dry finish. Very nice.

evergreen0199 (3570) - Northwood, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 25, 2009
Bottle at home. This one had a couple of years age on it. Hazy golden pour with a good head on top. Aroma of citrus fruit, spices. This is one of my all time favourites. Sweet, sour, dry, hops incredibly complex. A Classic!