overall
Brewed by County Durham Brewing
Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
Pickering, Canada

RATINGS: 105   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%

robinvboyer (4835) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 4, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2007 I’m a big fan of hops, but not insane hops, and this is right up my alley. Beautiful aroma of citrus, and hops. nice bitterness, but not too much bitterness, just enough to keep you comming back for more. I often have this at the Beer Bistro during my lunch! awesome stuff! Hey Durham, BOTTLE THIS!!!

humulonimbus (10) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 4, 2010
I think this is the best IPA on offer in Canada right now. I don’t get tired of this beer which speaks to how well crafted (it think) it is. Notes: -Assertive yet refreshing aroma of piney spice and citrus (smells like a bag of hops) -vibrant palate with a (metric) tonne of flavour without being sticky -good balance of creamy and crisp in the palate, and sweet and savoury in the taste -generous body with just enough malt to keep the party from getting out of hand -finish is one that is pleasantly bitter and long and tickles my throat (and me) pink It should also be noted that: 1) This beer comes with the best tap handle EVER! 2) It’s a cruel joke, yet fitting, that the beer is called hop addict. It seems that every time I make it to Toronto (the only place it’s available, %@$&#!!!) to get my fix some other junkie has bled the keg dry, aaarrrrgh!!! Well, I just can’t get enough ....or any at all!

yarry (528) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 9, 2008
Pint at Volo A coppery brown beer a lacy head. It smells very much of floral and citrus hop notes. The taste is very hoppy, crisp and clean with a very nice dry finish. If you love hops, as I do, this beer is stellar! It somewhat reminds me of Anchor Brewings Liberty Ale

ladnewton (2092) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 15, 2009
Draught at C’est What?, Toronto, Canada on 10th June 2008. Exquisitely hoppy, pleasant mouthfeel and bitter aftertaste. In the style of an American Pale Ale, again compares well with Dark Star APA.

JesseM (1158) - Margaritaville, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 10, 2009
On tap at Volo (long and strange story about how I ended up briefly at Volo today, my first visit). Taps a nice deep copper-orange, medium white-cap. Awesome piny citrus hoppy nose. Flavour is delciously well balanced, very nice malt bakcbone, but the hops steal the show. Good astringent feel on the back of the tongue, but not at all dry. Did I have the same beer some other people who’ve rated it here had? How could you not consider this a ’real ’ IPA? This was absolutely a spectacular pint. Fruity esters as well, in fact the beer as a whole kind of reminds me of Fuzzy Peach candy in a very pleasant way. Outside of extremely fresh Grand River Curmudgeon, this is the best Ontario-brewed IPA I’ve ever had.

beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - OCT 22, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 5, 2007 A good IPA. Nicely balanced. The needle bar handle is really cool as well.

VeloVampire (625) - Parkdale, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 20, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2009 On tap at the Victory Cafe - came a clear copper colour with a foamy head that was gone pretty quickly. Aroma very nice, citrus hoppiness with a good amount of malt, also I picked up a touch of yeast/bread. Flavour mainly hoppy, grapefruit and lemon, but with some earthiness or woodiness along with a refreshing bitterness in the finish that was very pleasant and balancing - many of the brewery’s beers have this similar taste and it is something that I really enjoy. Great character in this one, and a solid local IPA. Bottle it. Update - tried this again tonight and realized this is one of the best IPAs on offer in Ontario right now. If they bottled this, it would have a general listing in my fridge.

JohnBarleycorn (537) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2007
On tap at Smokeless Joe’s, Toronto. Deep gold, bordering on brown; zero head retention. Woody hop-forward aroma packs a good punch, seconded by accents of malt, caramel and berry fruit. Wonderful big-hop flavour provides full-on bitterness throughout, with a nice fruity blackberry infusion and smooth caramel ice cream palate. An excellent big-flavoured beer that has enough complexity to be more than a one-riff wonder.

strowlands8 (298) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 29, 2009
Really enjoyable the bitterness is not overwhelming and the hoppyness is delicious. Really enjoyes this beer one of my favourites, especially in the style.