overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4362   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zootfinster (220) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 2, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2008 I think Ill sell all my possessions and move to Belgium Until I discovered Belgium ale I was a devotee of Pilsners. Ales were no match for lagers in my world. But now its my plan to find a hovel in Belgium with a refrigerator. Ill have just enough money to eat and buy a few beers each day. I might consider that having gone to heaven. Duvel is a sparkling, bright refreshing ale. It has a nice big white head. It has a sweet and tart taste. Just a little tingle in the back of the mouth. The high ratings for this beer are well substantiated in my opinion.

Cliff (355) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - DEC 1, 2006
Bottle, poured a crisp yellow with a thick candy shell...I mean white head. Aromas of yeasty goodness. Delicious spicy flavor with sweet undertones. i love this yeast bite. Bubbly mouthfeel, chanpagnish. Clean finish and the yest sticks around for a bit. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joshwilfong (1200) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - NOV 30, 2006
very light golden appearance with a white head. the aroma makes up for the appearance, a very powerful nose that smells of tart sweetness, very nice. the flavor is nice with an initial malty flavor finishing with a complex dryness and hides the alcohol well, a nice brew that is much more flavorful than the appeance would indicate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
dwh50 (47) - Clay, New York, USA - NOV 29, 2006
Can a beer have too much head? Thick long lasting creamy white head, can be avoided by slow careful pouring. An interesting, highly rated beer that I found disappointing, although it does hide the alcohol very well. It was too yeasty wheaty for my taste. Still far ahead of American lagers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
chmurarz (590) - Legnica POLAND, POLAND - NOV 29, 2006
not filtered, light in colour, rich, multiple, complex, full taste, strong wheat flavour, strain of yeast, tangy, very good, taste of lemonade

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
islay (2365) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 28, 2006
Bottle. Cinnamon-spicy aroma, sweet like lemon candy. Classic Belgian ale as well as Hefeweizen-like scents. Pours a lovely, cloudy, light-orange gold color with huge, foamy white head. Shockingly strong alcohol taste, almost like a gin and orange juice mixed drink. Very tart. I can tell that there is a complexity of flavors buried in this brew, but the alcohol overpowers them. The bottle I tested was far overcarbonated; the beer overflowed badly when I popped the cap. The texture is fizzy on the tongue and fluffy in the mouth. The two most memorable things about this beer are its alcohol-dominated flavor and overcarbonation. These two factors add up to make Duvel quite a disappointment. At least it looks and smells good. I plan to give this beer another chance some day, but itll be awhile.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
scanman (150) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - NOV 26, 2006
Pours a huge foamy, lacy multilayered head. Tangy first sip with amazing yeast and hoppy aroma. Very satisfying. Citrus (lemon), grape (wine) brandy (fig) and light spiciness accent this tremendously complex strong ale. Very alcoholic. Recommended even at the steep price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AR (1000) - Georgia, USA - NOV 26, 2006
For a golden ale, this was a very good beer. Slightly hazy with a huge head. The taste was minimal hops, with a thickness that gave the beer its power.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
troysworktable (109) - Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2006
I decided to try Duvel. I wish I had not. Everything I had read prior to its consumption praises it. I dont believe it to be a bad beer; it was okay. It was not to my liking, though. The appearance was its greatest asset. It is a beautiful ale. The color was a hazy, translucent, straw yellow that glowed with light. The head was enormous, lasted for quite awhile, and left behind intricate lacing. The aroma was heavily weighted toward banana with hints of light spiciness, citrus, and alcohol. The taste was somewhat off for me. It was rather dry, almost too dry, and reminded me of a dry white wine. I felt that the aroma was much stronger than the flavor, and was not too pleased with the way that Duvel sat in my mouth. Perhaps the advertising machine that has made Duvel ubiquitous in beer magazines and other media has overhyped this ale. Perhaps I am a ruffian. Either way, I was disappointed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lagomswedish (213) - Ume, SWEDEN - NOV 24, 2006
Cold from the fridge. I love this beer. This is what its all about for me - a beer than picks you up, slaps you around the face a few times and spits you out at the end of it all, feeling a little abused but with a big grin on your face. Beguiling pale murky yellow in colour with a huge inflatable white head (seemed impossible to pour any more slowly and yet still it was mammoth). Didnt need to raise the glass to my nose to catch the aromas for this beer - spicey, clovey, peppery, grapefuit and white wine. The effect on the palate of this beer is outstanding - like champagne, bursting with white wine grape and a gentle but intruiging acidity. Drank this while nibbling some thinly sliced Vsterbotten Cheese - life doesnt get much better than this.