%>
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4195   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

Maracuja (1) - Massachusetts, USA - DEC 30, 2006 does not count
330ml bottle, creamy head right to the end, with balanced strains of yeast. Has a great crisp taste with a banana aroma. Refreshing and crisp beer. Nice beer to drink before going to bed. Would buy again.

grease (42) - Reno, Nevada, USA - DEC 30, 2006
Duvel is a wonderful beer. My latest example had big clove spiciness from the yeast, a nice bitterness for balance, and a dryness that makes this beer deceptively drinkable. The carbonation is intense and accentuates the yeast characters nicely. Overrated? I think not.

demirabello (3) - Gent, BELGIUM - DEC 30, 2006 does not count
I think this beer is hugely overrated. It looks very artificial to me, so I don’t really like it, nope.

evilcougar (66) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - DEC 29, 2006
A nice light amber color with a great foamy head. It noses like champagin and finishes the same way, with a slightly fruity slightly bitter finish. overall a very good beer even if it is a bit on the expensive side

homersimpsin (40) - South Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - DEC 28, 2006
Excellent beer from Belgium, full of flavour, light on the palate, thick foamy head, love the taste! Money well spent.

mgermani (1002) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 27, 2006
Thin and yeasty (almost medicinal), a bit of malt. Poured a pale yellow with an excellent head which lasted right through to the end with nice lace. Almost a wheaty flavour, light malting for sure. Some hops (Saaz, Tettnanger?), slight citrus taste. Wonderfully creamy body, a bit thin at the end but a great aftertaste. Good carbonation. A nice beer, but not my first choice. Extremely drinkable, but Chimay Blanche a much better light Belgian.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - DEC 26, 2006
A nice, easy and pale strong ale with a candied fruit aroma, a crisp palate and clean finish. The color is blonde and the head is pronounced, frothy and persistent. The flavor holds tart apples above light candied sugar and subtle yeastiness. Overall, a very nice balance of subtle characters. This is certainly a beer to be paired with fine dining or a quick nibbling of cheese.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - DEC 24, 2006
Great texture I must say, but as others have stated, I think the head just doesn’t cease to exist. The taste is very smooth and creamy. The color is nice and gold. A very great tasting beer, just take half of the head away and we are good to go! Very good with a nice piece of fish I might add.

aarossell (151) - Grandville, Michigan, USA - DEC 22, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2007 Highly bubbly...take caution. white head that doesn’t end...gets creamy with time. Clear, yellow, lots of bubbles, smells a bit funky like pilsners do, tastes nice. Not as bitter as I expected from the smell. A bit of fruitiness to it, banana in the finish, which I love. I like the glass better than the beer...too much alcohol / yeast. but GOOD. EDIT:: on returning to this a second time, I enjoyed it much more. Soft, beautiful golden ale with sweet refreshingness (notaword). I LOVED IT.

Sombeast (151) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 21, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2006 750 ml bottle served ina Duvel glass. I’ve had this many times before, yet it never ceases to please me - as if I had never had it before. Hazy golden in color with a huge rocky head - how do they do that?!! The Duvel tulip glassware is perfect, with the laser etched logo concentrating the bubbles in the center of the glass. Aroma is lemony, yeasty and inviting. The flavor is crisp yet complex, resulting in a big beer just begging to be quaffed at a dangerous rate. Don’t let the broad availability slow you down, this classic is a crowd pleaser for both the educated and novice palate.