overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4339   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HenrikSoegaard (13371) - Randers, DENMARK - JAN 17, 2006
Bottle. A good but not fantastic belgian strong ale. Friothy excellent mostly lasting head. Pale yellow colour. Powerfull hoppy and yeasty aroma. Powerfull taste and long finish. oily palate.

auderale (605) - Minot, North Dakota, USA - JAN 16, 2006
750ml Champagne corked bottle. Pours with a head that didnt go away. Full fresh aroma. I got this after I bought my friend a case for using his car. I really enjoyed this. Will definitely buy more of this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bflatjeff (2) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 14, 2006 does not count
750ml bottle into Duvel glass. Pours with a thick cushion of head, like meringue, that lasts on and on, continuously replenished with streams of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. A beautiful, classy beer. The aroma is restrained. Flavor is crisp and bright, easy to drink despite the high alcohol. Definitely a benchmark beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cperry8483 (41) - Platteville, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 13, 2006
Wow, youve got to be kidding me. When is this foam going to go away so I can drink this thing? A ridiculously good looking beer, clear and gold with streams of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. In a word: sexy. Ok, its shrunk down to a small volcano in the middle, lets give it a shot. Smells good, although I cant discern any specific scents. Mmm, tastes like a way better version of Pilsener Urquell with less hops. Tangy towards the end with a spicy bite at the very finish with a slight alcohol taste. Medium, fizzy mouthfeel. A very good beer, one that I might try again when Im more well off (paid $9.99 for a four pack, not cheap but worth it every once in a while).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ChrisG (31) - Secunda, SOUTH AFRICA - JAN 13, 2006
My favourite Belgain ale. A straw-coloured beer with a thick, white, foamy head that does not dissapear. A crisp hop-flavour. High in alcohol but does not have an overwhelming alcohol-taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GarrettB (1500) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 9, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2007 The Duvel was one of a company of a few beers who were there for my 21st birthday. At the time I was but a stripling to beer; a novice without the proper skills or motive to appreciate good brewing. I clearly remember having both a celebratory Fat Tire and a Duvel, and preferring the Fat Tire far above the Duvel. Four months since then, after a relatively rigorous training regiment, Ive learned that its quite the other way around. The denouement of this long exercise in drinking has demonstrated Duvels superiority in its craft. My misplaced esurience for Fat Tire is, thankfully, corrected. Now I can enjoy Duvel the way its meant to be enjoyed. I was particularly excited to have it not only for the symbolic circular path of my beer experience, but this particular batch came from Aruba in an adorable little box set. It was a gift purchased on vacation, bestowed to me on Christma. Furthermore it was the Dutch Edition, lending it a certain kind of European aura. Begin the pour! At first I couldnt understand why Moortgat would provide a glass that looks twice as large as the volume of the beer. However, I was soon corrected. As I poured, the foam developed into a great white behemoth, swallowing most of the glass space and rising high above the rim. Much to my amusement it stopped there, and developed a mountainous cap which I was half tempted to stick a miniature American flag on. I even held the glass up to my window to the faraway Rocky Mountains to see if it developed an appropriate Mid-Western tectonic feel. As the golden elixir gradually moved from the glass to my mouth the snowy cap slid down the side, forming geometrically impossible shapes on the side, like the swirling debris of a planet in formation. Beneath the lily white, nebulous cap laid a peacefully mellow golden beer. The shade is just far enough from yellow to disassociate itself from the pedestrian swill common in America, but not so dark or rich as to resemble anything else. The color automatically puts the Duvel into a class of its own. The real champions of the Duvel uniqueness, though, are the ethereal smell and the elusive taste. Ive never had such a hard time examining a beer; the smell is fairly faint but clean and light with a wisp of lemon, and the taste is a dichotomy of flavors. It approaches the tongue with a sharp and distinct blend of light fruits including apples and white grapes, but leaves with a mild mannered malts aftertaste. Normally these two flavors would be struggling for domination of the palate, but here they are neatly arranged to introduce themselves to the tongue one after another. The crispness of the beer makes it immediately refreshing, but the delicate descent into the harsher and mellower malts makes it sleepier, not unlike my end of day routine. I think I have not only a new and better appreciation of Duvel, but have also found a new sipping beer for those end of the day polemics with family and friends.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JAN 9, 2006
"MMMM this was a beautiful beer. Poured a nice golden straw color with a thick frothy head that remain throughout the beer. Sweet aroma. Had a sweet taste finsihing a little sharp. What a beer."

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
CDBrDisappear (6) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JAN 8, 2006 does not count
This beer gives great head! The label warns it should be poured unhurriedly. I say any impatience in pouring will result in a glass of foam. My first impresasion of this ale was that it was distinctive. As the glass emptied however I found myself wanting more. I went back to the store and got a 4 pack. The flavor of this ale is adictive. The more I drink it the more I like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mike4aker (27) - USA - JAN 6, 2006
Personally, the beeer that I judge other beer by. Love the large foamy head. Bitter but not overly. Great aroma and is almost fruity in flavor. Well worth the price.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElPresidente1984 (173) - Maine, USA - JAN 5, 2006
bottle at Beer House in Santo Domingo. pours a kinda cloudy golden color, big head. flavor was nice, light and clean yet flavorfull. had this a while ago so i cant remember alot of the specific flavors, but i do remember i liked this alot. it was quite refreshing on a 80 degree day, yet didnt dissapoint in the flavor department.