overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4448   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

Tobias10 (99) - London, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - DEC 8, 2005
A huge head accompanies this terrific golden beer. So much flavour in such a deceptivly light yellow drink. Loads of aromas of hops and pale malt on the nose, even more in the mouth, a long finnish. Its only falt is it can be a little astringent.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 6, 2005
Malty sweet aroma. Not its best characteristic. Hazy pale gold in color with lots of streaming bubbles and a huge, large bubble white foamy head. Mouth puckeringly highly carbonated and is the first thing you notice when you take the first sip. I took this 750 ml right out of the fridge and it was a little overly cold to start. But with over 25 ounces to get through on my own, I figured I would experience the entire temperature spectrum. Oakes mentiond in his rating that if ever there was a beer you’d need 750 full ml to sample it is this beer. I am about 150 ml into it and I am kicking myself for not waiting to share this with friends. Problem was that all of my other unrated, smaller bottle beers were unchilled. Outstanding balance to this brew. Sweet, but not overly so; highly carbonated but strangely, it works. A very good beer that seems to be re-initiating my PVCs after a month or more hiatus; interesting. I like this stuff, but it doesn’t figuratively hit my sweet spot. $7.49 at Cellars Minnetonka, MN.

Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2005
A very frothy pour, with a cloudy light medium color. Good head and foamy. A nice sweet flavor with a smooth finish. A great mild golden ale.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2006 Rerating this because I think I did this 7 months ago when I only knew about four different descriptors. Now I know 15. 11.2oz. bottle, best before 06 2008. Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with huge pillowy head. Smells of yeast, lemon, red grapes, pear, dusty, peppery hops, and some grass. Tastes more of the same with some alcohol. Very fruity, high carbonation--for a moment it reminded me of a "Clearly Canadian" drink. Dry finish with a little hop bite. The alohol is very warming. Very good beer, just pissed that I broke the base of my Duvel glass from the gift set within 10 minutes of getting it.

bmanning (142) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - DEC 3, 2005
Pours a lively golden color with a massive foamy white head. Citrus and yeasty aroma with lemon, flowery hops, and spices. The first thing you notice is the very high level of carbonation. It overpowers the taste it is so intense. What I can tell of the taste through the carbonation is that it is somewhat sour and very bitter - not what I was expecting at all. There is a lot of lemon taste with some spices and grassy hops, but that is it - it’s not at all complex. Duvel wants to be a champagne more than an ale. Overall, not very impressed with this.

Evster64 (107) - Kempner, Texas, USA - DEC 3, 2005
Aroma: Clove, hops, wood chips. ... Appearance: Cloudy gold with head for miles. POUR THIS SUCKER VERY SLOWLY!!!. Anyway, once it settles down, it’s an attractive beer to behold. Flavor: Citrusy/fruity start quickly transcends into hoppy dryness. The mouthfeel is cottony and alchohol is noticable in the flavor. ... Palate: Pleasantly dry, fruity. ... Overall: No doubt a favorite among enthusiasts, but this really didn’t trip my trigger.

rsans (125) - Pont-Rouge, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 2, 2005
(330 ml bottle) Light golden colour. Creamy huge head with a sort of meringue look that I had never seen before. And you have to wait quite a bit before the head disappears. Beautiful lacing. Flavor is fruit, spice. The alcohol is well hidden and you don’t feel it until you start walking!!! Just a fine overall beer.

walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Corked Bottle. Pale yellow with huge pillowy white head and tons of rising carbonation. Nose of light grain, straw, hops, a faint metallic note along with white grape funkiness in the background, and a bready yeast through it all. As it warms, lemon and general flowery/herbal notes emerge. Flavor balances all of the above and is fantastically dry and bitter due to the tongue-scrubbing carbonation. Tasty and refreshing cold, I feel at room temperature the malts are given a lot more room to mingle. Subtle alcohol warmth throughout and a lingering citrus and malt aftertaste. Great stuff!

xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2005
Wonderfully complex flavor that doesn’t overpower you with alcohol. Billowing clouds of foam that leave a beautiful, uncommon lacing on the side of the glass as you drink. Aroma on mine was somewhat faint. The flavor had a spiciness, or sass, slightly fruity. A well-deserved good reputation.

destroye7 (312) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 25, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2005 330 ml bottle. Really light beer. Kinda commercial beer but without preservatives. Missing a bit of taste. I had great expectations from that beer and was a bit disapointed. It’s not a bad beer but just missing a bit of a punch.