overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - APR 16, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2006 Looks like a urine sample, in a good kind of way, if thats possible: Cloudy and dark yellow with even a very light hint of brown. The head on this beer is hilarious. Cartoon style foam, with odd bubbly landformsI even think I saw that Arch from Utah. Too me, this beer smells like a simple Pilsner. My first sip was of utter disappointment. I have heard so much about this beer, I thought I was gonna get an ale from Platos world of ideas. At first, it tasted like a green bottled pilsner, with a nasty alcohol bite. But that was my first sip. Ten sips later, I was amazed. With some classic Hefeweizan notes, this beer seems to dance different styles on my rookie taste buds. Some times spicy, sometimes sweet, some times dry. Great beer but over priced. Follow up: This beer is really growing on me. Im not sure exactly what it is, but i know my rating should go up if Im drawn to this beer every time I go to the store to try something new. I like it more and more. Another follow up: This beer is not as good in the six pack. Maybe its in my mind, but I swear its getting less complex, and a little bit more cloying. Lowering score a little. Will boost it back up if the corked, larger bottles regain my taste buds.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - APR 11, 2005
Not a bad brew at all! This brew pours a pale golden color with a beautiful rocky head. Typical Belgian fruity notes as to be expected, but there was an underlying complexity in this brew that kept me wanting more. Overall a good Belgian, but not the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
paul9639 (116) - New Hampshire, USA - APR 3, 2005
Great beer. Looks like a simple pilsner upon poor, minus being a little cloudy. The aroma has a faint fruit feel to it. The flavor is smooth and refreshing, with a citrus flavor.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - APR 1, 2005
Duvel was my first Belgian (imbibed at the Wisconsin Union when the drinking age was still 18), and holds a place in my heart. But whats interesting is despite its formidable character-strength, bright color, forward palate and pillowy head, it doesnt have much taste! Thats part of the Duvel deception--it tastes less strong than it is--but it lacks the tastes of even a journeyman tripel. Still, its a class of its own--and I do drink it from time to time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ivo (1) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 31, 2005 does not count
This is my favourite beer. The measure to wich all (well not all of them) others are judged. I love the freshness, the hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste, the complexity.. the tricky drinkability.. and the triumphant feeling I get when I manage to poor it out (a little chilled) and it remains crystall clear.. and that foam...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerAteHer (384) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAR 30, 2005
330 ml bottle. Pours a beautiful pillowy white head with peaks in the center. Color is like a weizen but without the cloudiness. Shows the bubbly carbonation of a bottle conditioned beer. Aroma (while the beer is covered with the head) is typical "wheat beer" with faint banana and citrus (mainly tangerine) notes. Flavor is rather fundamental, with forcefully carbonated maltiness (Pilsner malts per text on the bottle) carrying elements of honey and a slight bit of hops to the middle. Could use more hops in my opinion. Finish is largely weizen, with some of the alcohol showing through. Though more like a higher-quality weizen than the typical Belgian artisan ale, Duvel is still commendable - and at 8.5% it might sometimes be like the "devil in Flemish".

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hefevice (72) - Brisbane beer desert, AUSTRALIA - MAR 29, 2005
Bottle. Looks fantastic, pale yellow (almost like champagne) with a reasonable creamy head that retains well and plenty of lacing. Aroma is subtle - sweet, spicy with hints of honey. Taste is very well balanced starting sweet and finishing slightly bitter. Alcohol is well hidden and hardly noticable. Could drink a lot more of these if only I could afford to the ridiculous prices you need to pay over here.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
on7bwb (1) - BELGIUM - MAR 29, 2005 does not count
Very fruitish beer with a huge foamy white head. It takes some practise to get it nice in the glass. Strong taste afthertase. This is my favorite beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
oh6gdx (26019) - Vasa, FINLAND - MAR 27, 2005
Bottled. Yellow colour, huge white foamy head, lacing. Fruitish malty aroma with hints of alcohol. Fruitish flavour with strong taste of alcohol. Sweetish aftertaste with a sting of alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 26, 2005
No matter how slow I pour, the head is huge...foamy and rocky, long lasting. Pale light,straw-yellow colour, active carbonation. Flavours of pear and lemon, though alcohol is not present, the taste is quite bitter, I could use a little more sweetness and body, as Ive come to expect of a Belgian.