overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4444   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

agulsrud (11) - USA - OCT 5, 2004
my first "real" belgian beer. It has the most riduculous head I have ever seen. It fills have the glass and practically never goes away. The taste is quite unique though, pretty bitter. open like a champagne bottle

gws57 (1276) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Had this bottled in Chicago, Illinois. You have GOT to be kidding me. No way in hell is this better than 96 percent of all other beers! Head poured very, very thick, which dissipated well into the course of my dinner. Notes of clove and orange in the nose. Taste was much like many other whitbiers Iíve tried. Surely wasnít worth $7.50.

robbier (12) - noordwijkerhout, NETHERLANDS - OCT 3, 2004
Yellow body, with a creamy white head -or a white avalanche pouring out of your glass if youíre not carefull enough-. A bit sharp, but what do you expect from a devil? Malty and citrus taste. One of my favorites.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
I had read that the pour was crucial and to be honest, I fucked it up a little. The head exploded and now stands before me, appearing like a mountain sitting almost 3 inches above the glass. We will be referring to him as Mount Duvel. He is slowly subsidding and turning quite ugly, developing lumps and hairy mumps. The ground beneath Mount Duvel is sinking and Mount Duvel is gaining more strength and more power. Do I dare put my nose near this thing? As I put my nose near the glass, I hear a monumental explosion. Suddenly, chunks of bubble gum, lemon drops, pears and peppers come spewing out. Without warning Mount Duvel destructs and the tasting begins. The flavor is surely not overwhemling but still has its many strongpoints. Very spicy and peppery with some pineapple, green apples and pear. The finish is well hopped but somewhat lacking only leaving a banana/clove spicyness and then quickly it scampers away. The high carbonation definately affects the mouthfeel. Very good beer though.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 3, 2004
Moderate snow white head that lingers through effervesence. Lemony tropical nose (papaya?). Very sharp up front. Takes a long time to release the complexity of pear, honeydew and citrus. Long warming finish that becomes buttery. If this is the devil, my soul is as good as sold.

madquacker (1138) - Canberra ACT, AUSTRALIA - OCT 3, 2004
Yes very interesting but wouldnít want to have to drink it regularly too much. Yes I know Iím probably an antipodean slob for somehow not appreciating the merits of this.... but give me something I can drink on a warm day over this tossers drink anyday.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 27, 2004
Huge, billowing lacey, white-as-the -driven-snow head that must be properly poured into itís own glass, or the closest equivalent. You know, Iíve seen people gulp Duvel out of the bottle, and I didnít have my gun on me? Their loss! This is a golden beauty whose aroma has to savored and worshipped. Spicey, fragrant, floral, angelic. Pours clear and golden like a lager or a pils, but, buddy, it ainít! Letting the yeast in with the pour gives an extra amber/ orange haze: go ahead, drink the yeast, itís good for you! Flavor floods the tongue, Saaz hops jitterbug along the taste buds, and the finish will not quit the mouth. Overwhelmingly pleasant! Head settles some, but remains as a 1/2" ring. Excellent with the Thai ginger & curry noodles Iím having. The flavor, the spark, the spice, it all lingers on and on. Is there any greater delight?

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 21, 2004
Duvel is hot. I have to agree with my friend Tsarman, this devil tempts me to sin and I listen wholeheartedly

Tejas (1006) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2004
I know Iím in the minority by far but I just donít like this beer. The huge fluffy white head is amazing. It look & smells great. Unfortunately, to me it doesnít taste as great. I really wanted to like this one. I just didnít find it to be smooth at all. I liked the citrus taste to it but I didnít like the bite. Caracole or La Trappe are better Belgian Ales, IMO

marcus (10149) - Sacramento, California, USA - SEP 15, 2004
This light-colored ale pours with a very large head, so itís best to use a tulip glass. The sweet-tart flavor is very refreshing, especially on a hot day. Iíve tried all the Belgian golden ales, and I keep coming back to this classic.