overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

tambrico's rating

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tambrico (50) - New York, USA - OCT 18, 2013
Pours a clear straw color yellow (same color as jet fuel) with a mega-foamy head. Aroma of mostly yeast, a little citrusy. Taste is of yeast, with a little hop profile, but not much more. I’ve read that many people taste a lot of fruitiness in this beer, but I didn’t taste any at all. I’m not sure why. Mouthfeel is SUPER carbonated. I understand this is intentional, but it’s not my preference I suppose, as I felt it detracted from the beer. Again, it didn’t have many of the fruity flavors I was expecting and it didn’t really seem to have any complexity. It was just a slightly bitter yeastiness on the palate that faded pretty quickly and that was it. It wasn’t bad, but there was nothing really unique about it. This beer didn’t really stand out to me or impress me at all. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Bitek (713) - Warszawa, POLAND - JUL 27, 2017
Owocowe estry, przyprawy, nieco slodowosci. Sporo ciala i slodyczy. Goryczka srednia do niskiej, wysokie, musujace wysycenie.

jessbonde () - - JUL 27, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2017 This is my favorit beer and it just beat it all. And I don’t really know why!

Zilverenmaan (199) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - JUL 24, 2017
Poors clear yellow without yeast, rather thin even, pooring with yeast adds some hazyness and body. Head big, disappearing slowly, leaving some good lacing. Aroma of a blond ale but stronger, more complex: alcohol, spices, maybe some trace of vegetables. Taste: banana, alcoholic warmth, a hintof bitterness. Carbonation a bit too much. Good but for me not exraordinary.

Pedritisz () - - JUL 24, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2017 Egy igazi belga bolondról ale. Gyógynövényes illat és íz, közepesen testes sör

jooilakon (170) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 22, 2017
Bottle 330 ml from Sainsbury’s. Aromas of yeast, hay and citrus. Big, fluffy white head and a long lasting, slightly hazy golden body. Taste is yeast, alcohol, hay, citrus.

cilvekspagaisu (33) - - JUL 21, 2017
Labs specigs ar labu putu. Patikams aromats un dzidrs. Dzertu vair?kus bet daudz gr?di.

KraftowyJakup (330) - POLAND - JUL 21, 2017
Barwa slomkowa, klarowne, trwala piana. W zapachu chleb, drozdze, troche estrów, glównie morela, delikatna guma balonowa, moze lekki banan, troche fenolowych przypraw, pieprz. W smaku przyjemny balans, jest troche slodu, ale z drugiej strony fenole, lekki alkohol i chmiel, mocno musujace, goryczka srednia, chmielowo-alkoholowa.

Maits (492) - ESTONIA - JUL 21, 2017
Clear golden beer with big lively white head. Aroma is citrus, hay, honey, alcohol. Taste is medium sweet , spices with alcohol feel. Thin feel, medium body.

PilsnerWarden69 () - - JUL 20, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2017 Definitely my strongest lager ever, well tastes like on....

shawnmurphy (510) - Plattsburgh, New York, USA - JUL 20, 2017
Consumed while on vacation in Edmonton, Alberta. 12-ounce bottle pours clear straw color with two-inch-thick white whipped-cream head and lacing. Aroma: lemon, honey, some barnyard. Flavor: the above, plus white pepper and yeast. Mouthfeel: medium-bodied, clean. I’ve had this many times; always world-class.