overall
Brewed by Kulmbacher Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Kulmbach, Germany

RATINGS: 989   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This world-famous beer has the character and richness to stand in for fine sherry or port. Just the right degree of sweetness - never cloying; wonderfully aromatic and warming. EKU 28 is the one whenever something good and strong is needed.

austinpowers (2828) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 19, 2003
Rating this back-to-back with Eggenberg Urbock, I realized two things: 1. the EKU 28 tastes like a vodka shot; 2. After drinking two beers of more than 9% abv, I'm thinking of taking a long nap. But before I go, I should say something about the beer...it's amber and smells of sweetness and alcohol. The taste is cloying sweetness and massive alcohol burn. If I wanted to sip something harsh, I'd be drinking Johnny Walker Red!

JCW (1278) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 17, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2007 Amber colored, no head. Aroma of malt and alcohol. Flavor is almost like someone dump vodka into a dobbelbock. Somewhat sweet with an alcohol burn. Dry alcohol finish.

muzzlehatch (4959) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 16, 2003
Medium-dark amber, some reddish tints, little head that dies immediately. Powerful, but fairly simple aroma, deeply malty, alcholic, brown sugar & gum. Thick, viscous body with sugary & alcoholic tones, yeah I'll agree with Josh on this one, they're trying to cut the sickly-sweet malt with alcoholic harshness and it's not the best way. Somehow this is a beer that you want to "drink" but you have to "sip" and it doesn't really satisfy either way. Sigh.

0.6
rkn65 (106) - st. clair shores, Michigan, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Has a nice label but thats about it. If smarmy were a taste this beer would be it sickly sweet and not at all good with any food.

BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 10, 2003
Reddish brown in color with barely a white head. Smells fruity and strong sweetness. Warming with a liquor flavor.

microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 6, 2003
An amber color that is clear with an off white head that is diminished. The aroma is of strong alcohol...brandy and malts. A medium body with a strong warming alcohol and rich malt flavor. A sipper for sure. I have to say that I love beer but, not liquor so much and this is like sipping on liquor to me. It is enjoyable though and different which I always applaud.

bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2003
No subtle alcohol flavor here- one sip and I knew what I was in for. This brought back some memories of Monster Ale - and helped my friend create whole new ones.

adv (22) - Milan, ITALY - APR 14, 2003
It is not easy to brew 28 plato degrees. Kulmbacher manages it, but the result is too much alcohol-tasting to me.

deprogram (115) - Renton, Washington, USA - APR 13, 2003
(Draft) If you like whiskeys and barleywines, you'll really appreciate this unique and lovely beer. On the other hand, if your concept of beer requires such frivolities such as a head of foam or an odor of hops, you are likely to be disappointed. Those with a taste for such things will be rewarded by a delicious brandied malt flavor, an exquisite golden orange color, and glowing, sticky palette that ends in a haze of alchohol. Not for the faint of heart.

CEZ (415) - Milano, ITALY - APR 11, 2003
Another beer in the "love it or hate it" category. Beautiful dark orange color, but poor head. Aroma and taste are strong and sweet with notes of toffee, caramel, orange and, well, alcohol. The aftertaste is full and lasting, and can lead you to believe you just had a sip of brandy wine. Not exactly my idea of "beer", but fascinating, in a sort of way... even if I had to eat something along, in order to be able to finish my bottle...