overall
RATINGS: 310   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 414   ABV: 13.8%
Three Floyd’s 15th Anniversary beer. A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch

barn0216's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
barn0216 (551) - California, USA - JAN 5, 2013
Bottle, thanks bytemesis! Very dark brown, almost black, nice amount of head, medium retention, not much lacing. Molasses, dry fruits, chocolate, some alcohol. Very similar flavor profile, a bit of nuttiness, coffee bitterness in the mid palate and finish. Bitterness lingers for awhile. Alcohol is well hidden. The various components come through during the tasting. Extremely well balanced, excellent stout.

Palme (4824) - Bergen, NORWAY - APR 28, 2017
0.65l bottle shared with The Tasting Crew. Oh, a little treat on a Wednesday evening. Looks really good in the glass this. Deep dark brown color vise and it actually still has a good medium sized dark brown head. The first thing hitting the taste buds us peanut butter. I really like peanut butter. It’s also super round and mildly oxidized - in a good way. Licorice and roasted malts. There’s also mild hops here. Smells really integrated and good. In the mouth this is a thick almost chewy oily and it’s just above average on the almost creamy carbonation. Lovely tasting. Really roasted, lots of chocolate infusion here. It’s also nutty like in nugatti. Yeah, no doubt that this is a winner that has held superbly up against the heat of time. Warming alcohol and lingering almost salty licorice in the aftertaste. Just fantastic stuff. 30.09.2015

Koelschtrinker (21514) - K?ln (Cologne), GERMANY - DEC 24, 2016
Voluminös malziger Antrunk. Hohe Viskosität, deutlich schokoladig, etwas holzig. Milde Herbe. Die anfängliche Zuckrigkeit geht deutlich zurück, durch die Intensität unsüffig. Weich, anfänglich alkoholisch. Noten von Vanille, langer Nachhall. 12/13/10/12/7/12

Prufrockstar (2259) - Moscow, Idaho, USA - NOV 6, 2016
Bottle shared at Liquid Sunshine XVI, with thanks to bytemesis, one hell of a RBian and a throwback to the days where “winning a trade” meant flooring your trade partner with brews that make them flip. Last time we met up to complete a trade he just casually dropped this one in, saying “I saw it was on your wants list.” Talk about baller.

I had big plans to deconstruct this brew by assembling all its individual components for a special, focused side-by-side tasting. It was to be a night filled with insightful analytical beer nerdery. But that never materialized, and instead this beer found its way to one of after4ever’s (in)famous tastings before I left the Washington state.

If you don’t know after4ever, all I can say is Tom’s a real mensch. His Liquid Sunshine tastings were the perfect bookends to my time in the beer community in Seattle. He’s the first RBian I met through the site (at Big Time Brewery for my 100th rating and his 5000th – speaking of which, if you want to read a *real* milestone rate, check out after4ever’s review of Whiny the Complainer), and he invited me to his home for my first ever beer tasting. Liquid Sunshine XIII was an absolute orgy of awesome beer, and that night opened the door to a whole world of beer people and culture I didn’t know existed. Not coincidentally, it also marked the first time I spent the night on the bathroom floor. I’m glad tastings of this magnitude are only once-in-awhile affairs or I’d be dead.

The Liquid Sunshine XVI bacchanal brought all the magic and madness of that first tasting, but this time I attended as a fully-fledged initiate, amongst friends made over the intervening years. Amidst the chatter and laughter, Baller Stout was cracked without fanfare and disappeared quietly into the night. It was a helluva fun time spent with friends I now miss. My notes on the beer? “Dark stouty pour. Tastes like an imperial stout. Doesn’t taste old. 4.0” If that’s not the solid basis for a milestone rate I don’t know what is.

Given how much I’m slowing down, there’s a good chance I’ll never reach 3k, so this may be the last big milestone beer for me. I started out here on RB looking to develop my palate so I would be able to decide for myself what is really good instead of relying on the opinions of others or being duped by clever marketing. I figured I could train myself to be a well-calibrated instrument capable of making an objective assessment of a beer’s quality. Now … well, now I feel like I’ve mainly found more elaborate ways to say “I like this” or “I don’t like this.” I imagine there’s still some value in that, but I’m getting stuck in my ways. My rating vocabulary has stagnated, and as much fun as it has been to have reasons to seek out new brews, I don’t need the calories, the alcohol, or the cost. My ratings are less enthusiastic, and sometimes downright unfairly harsh. Too often my ratings are short and mechanical, and of little value to myself or others, serving just to keep score. I’m repeating old favorites more often now (I’m looking at you, Expedition stout), and have stopped rating every new beer I try. It’s freeing. I’m still throwing down my fair share of quick rates, but at my best nowadays I treat rating more like a beer-centric personal diary.

I hope that RB will attract enough new blood to replace those of us who slow down or drop out. I’m doubtful it will, and coupled with the explosion of new beers and breweries I don’t know how much longer RB can remain relevant. And really I guess it doesn’t need to be. As long as it’s here for me to leave the occasional diary entry, that’ll be enough for me.

sjogro (4755) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle courtesy of kermis at Klooster Delft. Black with light tan head. Big sweet roasted choco malts. Fruity cherry, prune, dark fruit, licorice, light layer of dust, dades, chocolate, toffee, dense roastiness, bit metallic, quite strong alcoholic. Big sweet and medium roasty cocoa bitter. Full body, big malty, gelly cake texture, soft carbonation, big sweet roasty cocoa vanilla finish.

mariuspoenari (2989) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2016
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2017 Bottle shared at Klooster. Pitch black with a thin tan head. Notes of roasted coffee, chocolate, macerated cherries, sherry, bitter fruit, alcohol. Full bodied, bitter and sour finish.

Maakun (6453) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle shared thanks to kermis! Black with dark beige head. Lots of dried red fruits, toffee, strong coffee, roasted malts, marzipan, sweet malts. Maybe some porto wine too. Quite sweet, light sour and bitter. Full bodied with soft but fizzy carbonation.

biirusaikou (2705) - - JUN 22, 2016
Sampled at Mechazilla’s epic insanity tasting session. Insane blend of flavors. Drinks like a super complex cherry stout wine, deviliciously smooth. A crazy extreme brew, which is why I usually love these so much!

Patrickctenchi (6732) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JUN 14, 2016
Bottle: Pours black......with a small tan ring. Aroma of dark chocolate, tobacco, dark fruit. Taste is chocolate malt, wood, raisin, tobacco. Strong , oily, ashy bittering. Rich and smooth. Excellent. Thanks to shrubber85 for sharing this as his 10k rate.

shrubber85 (11623) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - MAY 29, 2016
For 10K, decided to finally open this beer and to enjoy this during the start of the 100th Indianapolis 500. Beer and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - two things that have given me so much joy in my life (and usually at the same time). Had to wait until the end of "Back Home Again in Indiana" per my tradition. Bottle. Lactic/vinous raisin, cherry, coffee, dark chocolate malt, and wood ash aroma. Black with small tan head. Sweet raisin, creamy coffee, dark chocolate malt, and moderately bitter hay/orange peel. Spectacular balance and body. Aged beautifully. Great way to end 10K and start the next.

Ferris (16538) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 7, 2016
Bottle - Sweet vinous notes, deep roast and Woody bourbon notes. Jet brown with a light brown head. Dark chocolate, bourbon and nice roast. Bitter, sweet and nice.