overall
RATINGS: 1427   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 105   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Previously known as Summer YuleSmith.

jcweaver's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jcweaver (770) - VA Beach, Virginia, USA - AUG 6, 2012
Bottle. Thanks Kevin! Pours unclear dark golden with a large white head. Great citrusy hop aroma with a hint of caramel sweetness. Flavor of citrus and pine hops with a light caramel/toffee like backbone. Nice long-lasting bitter hop finish. Great beer.

jimhilt (2626) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 15, 2017
Pours a two finger white head that fades very slowly leaving a good lace. Hazy amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Grapefruit hop nose and flavor is grapefruit hops and some caramel. Higher ABV, 8.5% is hidden. $3.55 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

Bill Becker (1775) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 6, 2017
From Mar 2008 Now for the Summer 2008 version: It pours a hazy orange amber with a 1 finger head of foam. There's some good lacing and the head retention is, once again, excellant. The nose is big on the hops! Lots of floral and some citrus along with some fruitiness and there's a nice sweetish smell in the background from the malt. The taste has the floral and citrus up front with some spiciness and a solid malt backbone. Very tasty and very smooth and it isn't exactly lax when it comes to drinkability... almost no warming after the swallow so the alcohol is well hidden. Good thick mouthfeel and the carbonation is just a tad below medium. Overall, a great counter brew for the Winter version though for me, I prefer the Winter version. Both are great though and well worth seeking out again.

alexeyb (11) - LITHUANIA - OCT 20, 2017
Hops, hops, hops and hops. Some fruity aromas too. Solid bitternes well balanced with full body. Such a IPAs I like most.

Daboch (164) - Gdansk, POLAND - SEP 26, 2017
Ładnie się prezentuje, żółty kolor, biała piana. Aromat sredniomocny, przede wszystkim chmiel, żywica dalej owoce. W smaku owoce tropikalne, lekka słodycz przełamana wysoką goryczką. IIPA w stylu West coast

ganache (6056) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 20, 2017
Bottle. Strong nose, pith and a little tropical fruit, blase caramel, resin. Pour slightly hazy golden with a large and densely foamy yellow-beige head. Lot of lace. Taste surprsingly dry, not much resin there, medium bitterness but also surprisingly smooth with no jagged corners; sweetness low and builds slightly, but it's more the alcohol and slow warming that attracts notice. Has the caramel of a barleywine, lingers in a long finish, where one can look the bitterness in the eyes. Low floral / perfume. Bit gritty on a swish, some pith with the fruit, full body but not fat, just complete; still, it's mainly alcohol and a pervasive sense of smoothness that carry here. Do I have to try this on tap in SD to find explosive hops? [2017.09.20: 3.1]

ehaak26 (710) - - SEP 20, 2017
Bottle from Jungle Jim's. Aroma of tropical fruit, some spiciness, and bread malts.

jefcon (1935) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - SEP 4, 2017
Full of fruit, complex hops, rich palate and a floral component. A little sticky, but clean on the finish.

Gerbeer (4014) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 17, 2017
650 ml bottle. Pours a copper/amber with full head. Aromas of peppery pineapple, mashed tropical fruit, and sweet doughy malts. Flavors follow same. Light perfume and bitter pine in the finish. Very good.

Beerslugger69 (2) - - AUG 12, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2017 Hello Brothers! It is I, BeerSlugger69. I went to the local beer store around 6:42 pm to purchase a case of something different. I stumbled upon a case of AleSmith Double IPA. Excited and intrigued I walked to the register to purchase said case. As I pulled out my identification the cashier stated, '$50.47'. Thrown off by the price, my heart skipped a beat but I knew I couldn't pass on this opportunity. I swiped my card and carried the 20+ lbs case to my all black Ford Mustang with tan interior. As I pulled up to my estate I realized the beers were warm. I needed to solve this problem quickly because I was parched and ready for a beverage. I placed 2 of the IPAs in my freezer and slid the rest into my refrigerator. After approximately 37 minutes I pulled the 2 ice cold glasses out of the freezer. I popped the cap of each, handed one to my sister and kept one for myself. It was time for the first sip. With high expectations, I placed the tip of the glass on my lips and started to tilt my noggin. The icy liquid hit the tip of my tongue as I removed the glass from my mouth. I slapped my tongue to the roof of my mouth for the best taste experience possible. It was Hoppy, citrusy and hit with the perfect temperature. This beverage tasted like Christmas morning. With a hint of pine and assortment of fruits such as orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Perfect mix of hops and fruit with a strong malt backbone to balance out all flavors. Brothers we found the beer of the future!

Jabic (702) - Plainfield, Vermont, USA - AUG 2, 2017
Ar: Pithy lemon and grapefruit, medium-high intensity; toast, orange, and pineapple; very bright aromas. Ap: Golden and clear; medium off-white head with moderate-good retention, leaving a layer of silky foam cover. T: Clean, pointed bitterness up front; lemon, grapefruit, orange, and pine--very pronounced; some lightly sweet malt with a toasted edge, but in the background; black pepper and pink grapefruit linger into the finish, with a huge grip of steely bitters. P: Medium body with high carbonation; finish is medium dry. O: A model West-coast 2XIPA; clean, high bitterness; purity of hop flavor, with lots of punchy citrus, pine, and resin; alcohol extremely well-hidden; looks quite nice in the glass, too!