overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3785   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

DTM's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DTM (798) - Winters, California, USA - AUG 18, 2012
Bottle shared with others. The aroma was fantastic, smelled like a floral bouquet. Tasted of dark fruits and brown sugar. The palate was absolutely amazing. Definitely lived up to the hype.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
thejackpacker (331) - East Sussex, ENGLAND - APR 23, 2017
Bottle from the abbey cafe. Its a very hard one to rate. The hype is absolutely enormous, was quite shocked to be able to buy a box on my visit spontaneously. The smell, I really didnt get much of it, just a standard ale smell for me matched by a murky brown colour. The taste is also quite subtle but for some reason, totally satisfying. It feels full of flavour whole also not revealing what any individual flavour really is. It fizzes on the palate - a delight- and washes down like a mix of a fine red wine and a praline chocolate. A very delightful beer to drink, of course not worth the insane hype but one should allow it for a beer of shuffle quality.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
waltz (95) - - APR 22, 2017
O mito das cervejas. Colorao escura, amadeirada, leve retrogosto alcoolico, adocicada, mas na medida.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
MetalNHopHead (1841) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - APR 19, 2017
Westy 12 is hard to put into words. Damn hard. Theres so much mythology surrounding this beer. Its obviously not easy to get, and as I found out, its not easy to keep a full glass of it. Pour is brown - mahogany glow when held to light. Malty and fruity aromas - theres only malt sugar on the nose and not much at all in terms of alcohol sugar. Candied fig, prune, plum, raisin, date, brown sugar, molasses, caramel and dark bread bread flavors - thats what I was able to pick out, but Im sure theres much more that I missed. This beer is a paradox. Its deeply complex, yet its so cohesive that you could just easily drink it without giving it much thought. Ill tell you what you dont taste: booze. Mouthfeel is "velvety," "silky" - pick whatever adjective you want to describe how soft it is. It seems impossibly smooth for the 10.2% ABV. I know that it will likely be years before I even get the chance to try this again. I dont take that for granted. This beer is special.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
murzyn (182) - Sosnowiec, POLAND - APR 17, 2017
Barwa prawie czarna, piana duża i szybko opada. W aromacie szaleństwo. Daktyle, toffi, ciemne owoce, winogrona i taki dostojny alkohol. W smaku jeszcze lepiej. Są daktyle, rodzynki, jabłka, figi, śliwki, spalony karmel. Mega złożone i świetnie zbalansowane. Alko niewyczuwalne w smaku ale fajnie grzeje w przełyk. Goryczka niska. Coś cudownego.

hessified (3) - ENGLAND - APR 16, 2017 does not count
In the gardens of the westvleteren Abbey prepared to he disappointed by this massively hyped beer a glass of this brown beer was placed in front of me. What followed was one of the best drinks I have had in my life. The smell, the taste the palet all combined to make my dive back for my next sip. Well worth the visit out and lived up to its hype

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Manslow (1526) - Warsaw, POLAND - APR 15, 2017
Spożyte przed zapisywaniem ocen na ratebeer, ale takiego sztosa postanowiłem uwiecznić chociaż takim wpisem, doskonałe piwo.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
u3pyg (30) - BULGARIA - APR 11, 2017
Aroma of dried fruits and malt. Tastes great, but it is a little too much carbonated. Awesome beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AZBierLover (1) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - APR 10, 2017 does not count
I had the pleasure of enjoying this wonderful bier at a restaurant on the Leie in Ghent. It was far better then the food and was easily the high point of our trip to the city. It was so good I had a second for desert. I would have enjoyed a third if I hadnt been with friends that wanted to get going. Later I had the opportunity to enjoy the others they produce but they were very good but not this good. A year later my friend in Antwerpen sent me 6 bottles. 2 of each of their production and I was thrilled to no end. After 100s of beers, this is still one of my favorites. Im looking forward to searching some more out on my visit next month. I might even take a trip to the abbey if possible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bawelt (817) - Lyon, FRANCE - APR 10, 2017
Nez : relativement classique et plutt fin, quelques notes de levures derrire le caramel, les pices. Bouche trs douce, ultra quilibre... mais rien de grandiose non plus. Cest videmment trs bon. Mais on reste sur une bire dcole matrise. Aucune surprise, pas de complexit aromatique transcendante ou de caractre noble ou ultra travaill... Jen regoterai une vieillie.

CaskSensei25 (21) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - APR 8, 2017
Bottle. Pours very dark with a thick, stable light-beige top. Aroma is splendid! It feels like it almost fills up my entire room with christmas spices, nuts, honey, chocolate, rasins, dried fruits and yeast. Aroma has also a hint of freshly baked dark bread in it. Taste is vey complex, the first sip felt really intense with yeast, alchol, bread, caramel and malt. Then the taste starts to build and change and turns into an explosion if different ejoyable tastes - honey, roasted bread, honey, beeswax, pepper, cardamum... It is hard to describe, one just has to taste it. It feels really smooth and velvety actually. It is funny as I felt alcohol in the first sip but later the taste of alcohol is almost completely gone - it is really well masked, it feels almost like a light beer. Aftertaste has almost everything nice in it, also a hint of hoppy bitterness. And I can feel very nice alcoholic warmth in the back of my throat and in my stomach. It became instanttaneously my favourite beer.