overall
RATINGS: 258   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%

MadMan's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JAN 4, 2009
375ml corked bottle. Pours a deep and dark opaque red with short lived cola colored head. Aroma is sour, musty, and cherry and fruit. Flavor is very complex, I couldn’t keep it in my mouth long enough to soak it all in. Initially it hits with a nice sourness and tartness, very like a Rodenbach grand cru, with some hints of fresh cherry and vinegar (possibly malt vinegar as well as balsamic) then blends in with a malty sweetness, possibly lightly cocoa and faintly spicy. It has some funk underneath all the sourness, as well as some woody boozy notes. There was little evidence of alcohol. The finish is delightfully complex, lingering with lots of sour/sweetness, with notes of wood, vanilla, malt, spice, and balsamic. I savored each sip to the fullest, yet my glass was soon empty, and even then I found myself inhaling the remnant aromas coming out of my empty glass and cherishing them. I couldn’t bring myself to rinse it out, the aromas from the empty glass reminding me of the delightfully sour and complex flavors in this one. I can’t wait to have another, I haven’t been motivated to input a rating in some time until this one came along.

djd07 (14494) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 25, 2016
Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown with a paper thin beige head that diminishes to nothing. The aroma is cherry skin, funk, toffee. Thin mouth, insanely sour, vinegar, cherry, oak, a bit too acidic.

Enjoyit (3809) - Vadum, DENMARK - NOV 13, 2015
Sour&bitter. Deep brown of color with a brown head. An aroma of roasted malt, prunes, liqurice and sour. A flavor of coal, sour, weak prunes and liqurice.

JHeath99 (1678) - Warner Robins, Georgia, USA - JUN 4, 2015
Bottle thanks to Damian and Lona. Pours an opaque dark brown with a ring of beige head. Aroma and taste of tartness, hints of vinegar, dark fruits. Very nice.

Dedollewaitor (16158) - Odense, DENMARK - JAN 12, 2015
Bottle @ Odense Tasting January, 2015. Trade with Hannont. Thanks Todd. Pours dark ruby amber with bubbles on top. Wood, lacto and funk. Berries and dark fruit. Vinous. Reminds me a bit of the old barrel Nørrebro series. Quite complex and sippable.

jmagnus87 (2912) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - NOV 30, 2014
Sampled during RBSG. From notes. Very tart, green apple, vinegar, dry red wine.

brnandersen (3903) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 13, 2014
Sample from 375 ml. bottle. Dark brown colour with a thin, lightly tanned head. Fruity aroma with red wine barrel, tart fruits, caramel malts and spices. Taste is light sour. Medium body with a near flat carbonation. Finishes dry and tart with lemons and yeasty notes.

Desverger (11431) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 8, 2014
Sample from Bottle - pours dark brown with amber head. Aroma and taste is sour fruity, some light vinegar notes, sour on the palate, ok.

Gregis (1281) - Stilwell, Kansas, USA - JUL 6, 2014
Bottle generously given to me by theisti after its release and kept in the fridge since. Pours a deep mahogany with a thin beige head of tiny bubbles. The nose is of sour cherries and candy sugar. The mouthfeel, however, has none of the sweetness found in the aroma. Medium-bodied & tart with a very dry finish. The flavor follows the aroma with tart sour cherry and a dry, funky, yeasty backing. This is very good stuff. Thank you again, Tim.

jtclockwork (16581) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 26, 2014
Bottle. RBSG St. Louis Grand Tasting. I need label for this. If someone has an empty, please let me know. Pours amber white head. Nose/taste of tart green apple, vinegar tartness, caramel and oak. Medium body.

crossovert (12914) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2014
375ml corked and caged bottle. FLAT. But in small doeses it cna be good, heavy balsamic and raisin.